Notices

Forced Induction or All-Motor

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2001, 09:52 PM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Forced Induction or All-Motor

Hi-

First of all I have researched just about every topic with "turbo" in it and I have read about every thread on FI, and I have yet to find an answer so I would appreciate it if everyone here could help me out. My original plan for my car was an All-Motor route with ITR Cams/ITR Valvetrain/ITR ECU/JDM Header/Apexi N1 Exhaust/Skunk2 Intake Manifold. Now that would put in mid to low 14's which compared to most cars out there is quick. Now when I start thinking about the costs they definitely get up there, while the power output isn't especially when compared to a nice Turbo. Everyone here please keep in mind that my number one priority here is reliability. I don't have tons of money, but I can save pretty well. I would definitely like to run low low 14's or mid to high 13's, but don't want to end up having to upgrade my whole bottom end. I was considering the Greddy Kit which the majority of people here seem to dislike due to the lack of upgrading, while others like it because it is complete and easy (easier) to install. Now if I had the money I would more than likely go with Ben's kit since it seems to be basically all I would need, but unfortunately I don't have the money for it now. Now I know that of course I'm going to get biased answers, which is fine. I just want to know what I will need to do to run reliably on either a Greddy Kit or Drag III kit whether it be fuel or building bottom end. I basically need to see if it is worth it to me. Also, if I do end up getting a FI setup, what will I need to do to maintain the engine, since everyone is saying that it isn't the turbo that breaks the engine, it's improper tuning or abuse. Also, how much is typical installation on Turbo Kits? I hope that this thread leads to an informative post which will help out many more Honda-Tech members because I'm sure I'm not the only one who has debated on this.

Thanks,

Isaac
Old 10-08-2001, 10:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Forced Induction or All-Motor (98 GS-R)

get a custom set up ... look around the board there's some good stuff going around (Zeoff's post) and a stand alone which will get you right up there with a new drag kit. Then get it dyno tuned and you should be set.
Old 10-09-2001, 07:43 AM
New User

Default Re: Forced Induction or All-Motor (9psiLsT)

Depending on how much you want to boost, it all comes down to tuning it right, that is what gives you reliability. There are many daily driven turbos here on this board. You need to respect your car a little more since its turboed but the results are well worth it. You can't go wrong with a Drag 3 kit.
Old 10-09-2001, 08:01 AM
New User

all motor can be very fun, and also different... ive got a friend with a 94 civic coupe... he built an all motor car consisting of a b18c block with a b16a head... he used endyn/wiseco pistons and endyn/eagle rods.... he sent his head to endyn as well to be ported and polished with larger valves.... i dont want to go too in depth into his set up, but i will tell you this... when we race, he is right on my ***.... he has a hytech header and exhaust system on the way.... but let me tell you this.... his setup costed him over 7000..... if you got the money and patience then go for it..... but me i speant 3000 on a revhard and ran 12s....

[Modified by newsense, 12:02 PM 10/9/2001]
Old 10-09-2001, 02:29 PM
New User

Default Re: Forced Induction or All-Motor (newsense)

Thanks so far for the information. If I purchased a Drag III kit, what would I need to do if I maintained a relatively low boost for now? Sorry, I'm sure this is beat to death and I searched forever, so if you have any links that are helpful that works as well, thanks again.
Old 10-09-2001, 03:02 PM
New User

1. all motor is not near as cheap as many make it out to be. even if your a certified honda mech, you will pay $$$ to have more than 200hsp to the wheels. also, over 200 to the wheels is not exactly what i would call reliable. not any more than a jrsc or a properly run turbo. motor - $5000 $6000 complete plus install into car.

2. gsr w/ 8lb jrsc is 220+ to the wheel. and most would agree that this would be WAY more reliable than 220 to the wheels all motor. s/c with anything else you need installed - $3500 - $4000

3. turbo - rev hard/drag kit with everything you need to run 9 lbs and over 250 hsp to the wheel - $3500 plus installation.

also it is very difficult to upgrade any of these ideas other than the turbo option.

9 times out of 10, if they're going fast, they've got a turbo.

Old 10-09-2001, 03:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Forced Induction or All-Motor (jinxproof99)

*votes turbo*

cheaper, makes more power. just as reliable
Old 10-09-2001, 04:06 PM
Trial User

Default Re: Forced Induction or All-Motor (DragIIcivic)

Turbo has my vote... best bang for the buck.. and the easiest to upgrade later.. just turn the ****.
Old 10-09-2001, 07:32 PM
New User

Default Re: Forced Induction or All-Motor (GSRwBOOST)

Wow, I never thoght I would even peek into the "darkside", but my interest is definitely there. I'm about 70 FI...30 NA. Hmm, how much is typical installation for a Drag III kit? To run low 14's or high 13's would I need to build the bottom end to run safely? (once again I'm sorry for the questions, damn rookies...)

Thanks!
Old 10-09-2001, 08:10 PM
Smarter than you

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bens kit is Really complete, If u get the money for it, its definitly worth it..

If you keep the boost under 8psi u dont have to add any modifications other then the kit described.. a clutch but thats it.. you can do the install yourself if u wanna save money, I am doing mine in the near future.. you wont have to build the bottem end or anything if u just keep the boost under 8psi..

a Drag 3 GSR at 8psi is good for 250whp plus.. and that is good for mid to low 13's at 106mph+.. All for 3200(turbo kit) + 300(clutch) + install(free do it yourself) and maybe u would want a few extras like test pipe, exhuast.. u could fnd those used to for around 300..

so for give or take 4000 u can run app. low 13's at around or above 260whp.. and if the install is done correct and attention to detail is made it can be very reliable.. and put like 75$ into that 4k for a dyno run..

my vote turbo! and once u have that u can always upgrade injectors, engine management, build motor and turn up the boost and run faster and faster..

[Modified by DIRep972, 5:12 AM 10/10/2001]