Notices

fmu and safc 2 ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2006, 07:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fmu and safc 2 ?

im running a turbo zc , 12:1 fmu stock injectors. greddy turbo kit. 8 psi for now . i also have a safc2 hooked up to moniter stuff but i decided to mess around with it for a minute today and i adjusted the low throttle fuel setting from 800 rpm to like 3000 or somthing to + 3 on each and the car was noticably faster. but i didnt leave the setting there cause the fmu should be handling the extra fuel but just wondering if there is more power to gain by tinkering wit the safc a lil or should i just leave it all up to the fmu? i know everyone gonna say just get a chipped ecu but thats not what im gonna do . ive had alot of luck with the fmu in the past an have no reason to change it so please stick to the question .
Old 12-02-2006, 08:35 PM
Mr. Badwrench

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: fmu and safc 2 ? (97grnrs)

unless you want to melt pistons, leave the safc zeroed out and run the fmu.

in time, sell the safc and fmu and get some form of programmable management.
or just leave the fmu and the boost alone.
Old 12-04-2006, 09:03 AM

Many people have done the afc and fmu thing but when running slightly larger injectors to be able to run a smaller fmu disc. Then the afc is used to detune the injectors.
Old 12-04-2006, 10:02 AM

do you have a Wideband or you just messing around with the S-AFC on the but dyno?

my hatred of FMU's aside if you are going to make this work you need

larger injectors, smaller disc in the FMU (you do realize your running 96PSI MORE fuel pressure then stock, stock lines aren't meant to handle that kind of pressure for very long) WB02 then detune the injectors across the board, it's what is known as the "V-AFC hack"

remember V-AFC only help tune on open loop/WOT so your going to want ot look into a decide that throws your car into Open Loop when it sees any boost whatsoever. If you don't have something like this then your hoping your huge injectors are just pouring enough fuel to handle non wot boost when you get it. This can be counter acted by using a 4:1 disk and decide sized injectors but then your owrrying about fuel pressure again.

^ all that aside, and I understand you had luck with the FMU's before but any other reason not to go with a stand-alone program ecu this time around? they aren't that expensive for honda's no reason really not to. To me in any turbo build tuning is where it makes or breaks it so I tend to app most the money there protects your investment.
Old 12-04-2006, 03:26 PM

Default Re: fmu and safc 2 ? (DCxMagus)

well what would be a good place to start with engine management then ? i wanna stay obd0 . i do have an extra pm6 laying around i could get chipped but then that means time on a dyno right? and i dont have the money for that . thats why i stay with fmu. it works and maybe runs a lil rich but i can live with that