Notices

FMAX Turbo Prelude

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2001, 09:42 PM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FMAX Turbo Prelude

Today I found oil underside of my hood and found that oil was also being sent out of the blow off valve. Could I have possibly blown a seal in the turbo or one of the rings in my pistons? I really have no idea why the car did this. I also switched to 15W-50 Mobil one Synthetic as told to, by my Turbo Installer. The oil is already below the first dot on the oil dipstick which means its low,and I had the oil changed last week. Any and all help is appreciated.
Old 10-06-2001, 09:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: FMAX Turbo Prelude (Malu59RT)

all i can tell you for sure is its leaking somwhere. try to line up the spot on your hood with your BOV. its possible you blew a gasket but i dont know much about turbo's yet. someone that knows will respond. probably art or drag there smart and good role models
Old 10-06-2001, 10:20 PM
Better than steak

Default Re: FMAX Turbo Prelude (KAMiN)

Can you be more specific to where the oil is at on the hood? I mean is it above the valve cover? Do you have a crank case breather filter? Look in the charge pipe and see if you have oil there.
Also, when you checked your oil, was you car warm or was is sitting over night and you checked it?
Im not a role model, Im just human like everyone else. There are far more smarter people than me on this board.

art
Old 10-06-2001, 10:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: FMAX Turbo Prelude (Arturbo)

sounds like blow by. i think u possibly could have some shot rings. just a thought though. im not a pro by all means. do you run a breather valve?? or do you run a hose from the upper intercooler piping to the pcv valve?? this is PapaVTEC btw not 4drGSR im just on his account. later.
Old 10-07-2001, 05:44 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

im not sure about the prelude kit, the the fmax kit for tegs has a breather tube from right after the turbo to the valve cover. does yours? is so, theres a good chance the oils originating from there. go out for a drive and see if the its all oily at that whole. (most accurately would be to take off the filter and feel inside).

If that is the case, you can always run the slashcut tube, which is better anyway. If this is your problem, just IM me and I'll point you to a bunch of good links about setting up the slashcut tube.
Old 10-07-2001, 06:01 AM
Better than steak

Default Re: FMAX Turbo Prelude (00SilverLS)

00SilverLs is correct. Some people will run a hose from the crankcase to the preturbo air filter, but what you should do is put a small cheap fuel filter to block the oil from getting inside the comressor. It will also keep the oil out of the intake path, and out of the BOV where I think your oil might be coming from.

art
Old 10-07-2001, 06:09 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

sorry arturbo, but I don't think you need any kind of filter. just run a slash cut tube so you get positive pressure flowing into the valve cover. that'll keep oil from going through your intake track. but you (everyone) really should also run an oil catch can to stop oil vapors from going into your engine

anyway, heres a pic of the slash cut tube:
Old 10-07-2001, 06:15 AM
Better than steak

That is something you do NOT want to do. If you do that you will pressurize the head. That is why I said put it in the preturbo intake where you will have vacum, but use a small fuel filter on it to keep the oil out of the compressor. Or you could just get a catch can.

Also, you got that diagram from TOO and he uses that on his SC cars. But remember the SC's compressor is after the TB where there is no positive pressure.

art

art
Old 10-07-2001, 06:22 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

hmm, maybe your right. But I don't understand where the differences between the SC and turbo is.
Old 10-07-2001, 06:32 AM
New User

Man I had the same exact thing happen to me. Most likely you blew an oil seal in the turbo. I had oil coming out of my BOV and it was everywhere near the BOV. I was about a quart low but I caught it pretty early. If oil made its way all the way to the BOV there has to be a pretty bad leak. Check your charge piping and your intercooler. I had alot of oil in my intercooler. I just bought a new cartridge for my turbo and that did the trick.

Tom
Old 10-07-2001, 06:40 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: FMAX Turbo Prelude (racer4200)

Arturbo, I know I just IMed you, but I want to share this w/ everyone.

I think you think that the slash tube is between the turbo and the TB. Its not, it needs to go pre-turbo, like right after the filter (like on the FMAX set up, if your familiar w/ it), that way it doesn't get boost. Your right, if it was after the turbo, the crank case would see boost and that IS bad.
Old 10-07-2001, 06:44 AM
Better than steak

I just IM'd you aswell and you are correct. The slash tube on the pre turbo filter is a good thing, but again use a fuel filter to keep the oil out of the compressor. But in the diagram you posted if you look at it, its just before the TB where some people will get confussed.

art
Old 10-07-2001, 03:47 PM
New User

T.O.O. is a scam artist ..and a bullshiter
Old 10-07-2001, 04:13 PM

Default Re: FMAX Turbo Prelude (WiikedEG)

T.O.O. is a scam artist ..and a bullshiter
I defintely agree on the bullshitter part!
Old 10-07-2001, 07:56 PM
New User

man, I don't wanna hear this sfuff now. I just ordered a f-max kit for my prelude.
Old 10-07-2001, 08:08 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: FMAX Turbo Prelude (DeeJay)

man, I don't wanna hear this sfuff now. I just ordered a f-max kit for my prelude.
you dont understand. thats a good thing. the drag kit only has a breather valve....which is bad. by having the fmax kit, all you have to do it install the slash cut tube and your set.