Notices

AN fittings-

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 06:44 AM
vestalfootball72

Default AN fittings-

Do you guys usually assemble your AN fittings yourself, or order them in predone sizes? Just curious as im going to need a oil return line setup soon
Old 12-06-2007, 07:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: AN fittings- (vestalfootball72)

they're not very hard to do,heres a write-up on how to install them....https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=2150049
Old 12-06-2007, 07:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I try to buy pre-crimped lines for -4AN or smaller. It's hard to assemble the smaller lines IMO.
Old 12-06-2007, 08:04 AM
Mr. Badwrench

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: AN fittings- (Tony the Tiger)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Tony the Tiger &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I try to buy pre-crimped lines for -4AN or smaller. It's hard to assemble the smaller lines IMO. </TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah really.........

look into socketless hoses also. you need no wrenches to assemble them, just to install then they still use a hex nut.
Old 12-06-2007, 08:05 AM

Default Re: AN fittings- (Tony the Tiger)

They're not easy to install, and most first time users don't have the tools to not jack up the fancy fittings. Leading you to question why you spent the money in the first place. I would have them pre-installed if possible.
Old 12-06-2007, 08:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The black nylon hose in MUCH easier to cut and handle, and you wont poke and cut yourself like the metal braided hose. As far as assembling them, its not hard at all, all I use is a vise with some cardboard soft jaws and some wrenches.
Old 12-06-2007, 09:52 AM
vestalfootball72

Default Re: AN fittings- (stealthmode62)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by stealthmode62 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> They're not easy to install, and most first time users don't have the tools to not jack up the fancy fittings. Leading you to question why you spent the money in the first place. I would have them pre-installed if possible. </TD></TR></TABLE>

That being said, do you assemble them in your kits at customer request?
Old 12-06-2007, 09:59 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by vestalfootball72 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Do you guys usually assemble your AN fittings yourself, or order them in predone sizes? Just curious as im going to need a oil return line setup soon</TD></TR></TABLE>

For the oil return line its going to be easier to install it yourself. If you have one pre-made there is a good chance it won't work. There's not much room for error with the oil return line. If it was something in the engine bay then there is a little more room for error. Goodluck.
Old 12-06-2007, 10:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: AN fittings- (B R Fittings)

I have done my own besides the small stuff like -3 or -4... easy to do if you have the right tools for it.

Honestly though, most recently I started using the push-loc lines and fittings. Very basic to assemble but does require some patience. No steel braid to tear up your hands and can cut with a few seconds of work via a sharp knife or heavy gauge wire cutters.

The trick to push-loc stuff, is to heat the end of the hose in boiling water before you push it on to the fittings... otherwise you will play hell getting the hose seated down all the way. Believe me. Also the smaller the size hose, the more difficult it is to push on the fitting.

Once you have done a few of them, it is easy.

Modified by twkdCD595 at 1:42 PM 12/6/2007
Old 12-06-2007, 02:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: AN fittings- (twkdCD595)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by twkdCD595 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have done my own besides the small stuff like -3 or -4... easy to do if you have the right tools for it.

Honestly though, most recently I started using the push-loc lines and fittings. Very basic to assemble but does require some patience. No steel braid to tear up your hands and can cut with a few seconds of work via a sharp knife or heavy gauge wire cutters.

The trick to push-loc stuff, is to heat the end of the hose in boiling water before you push it on to the fittings... otherwise you will play hell getting the hose seated down all the way. Believe me. Also the smaller the size hose, the more difficult it is to push on the fitting.

Once you have done a few of them, it is easy.

Modified by twkdCD595 at 1:42 PM 12/6/2007</TD></TR></TABLE>

wd40 is your friend.. never had a problem getting pushloc on..
Old 12-06-2007, 02:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: AN fittings- (mike93eh2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mike93eh2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

wd40 is your friend.. never had a problem getting pushloc on..</TD></TR></TABLE>

I couldnt for the life of me get my Earls Barbed **** to seat right, I tried oil and everything, had the threaded end of the fitting sitting on wood and pushing straight down with all i had wouldnt do it, and I weight 200+lbs, gonna try to heat it up as mentioned above.
Old 12-06-2007, 02:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: AN fittings- (96 GSR-T)

For push-lok hose, I put the hose end in a vise with aluminum AN vise jaws, heat the pushlok hose up with a heat gun til its fairly warm and pliable, lube up both the hose and the hose end, then push.

One big push and its on.

I'd suggest buying a vise with a swivel head, so you can swivel the jaws into position so you are pushing STRAIGHT down on fittings such as 45's and 90's.

$45 Harbor Freight special:

Old 12-06-2007, 05:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: AN fittings- (96 GSR-T)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 96 GSR-T &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I couldnt for the life of me get my Earls Barbed **** to seat right, I tried oil and everything, had the threaded end of the fitting sitting on wood and pushing straight down with all i had wouldnt do it, and I weight 200+lbs, gonna try to heat it up as mentioned above.</TD></TR></TABLE>

well i weigh 175.. i got some popeye arms though
Old 12-06-2007, 05:18 PM
Mr. Badwrench

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the trick to socketless hose and i know this sounds stupid, but it is to push the hose on the fitting, not the fitting into the hose. and oil / wd is your friend.

b.i.o.n. there is a tool for pressing socketless hose onto a fitting.
Old 12-06-2007, 06:13 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by vestalfootball72 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">That being said, do you assemble them in your kits at customer request?</TD></TR></TABLE>

The only product of mine with AN fittings is the fuel line, and it comes assembled.
Old 12-06-2007, 07:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: AN fittings- (boostedcivicsir)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boostedcivicsir &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the trick to socketless hose and i know this sounds stupid, but it is to push the hose on the fitting, not the fitting into the hose. and oil / wd is your friend.

b.i.o.n. there is a tool for pressing socketless hose onto a fitting.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Unfortunately it only works for straight ends, -4, -6, and -8. Straight ends are the easiest to do as well.
Old 12-07-2007, 06:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

meh I never need wd40 or oil... I am only 160 lbs but I seem to have no problem pushing the hose on the fitting if I have heated the end of the hose... one good push and done... they are fully seated back to that end ring.

my first time I tryed to a -6 one cold and no lube... it took a couple pushes, thats the only time I had an issue with push-loc. from then on I heat the end and the residual water serves as the lube.

Modified by twkdCD595 at 12:12 PM 12/7/2007