Notices

Fitting a turbo

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2006, 04:25 PM
wez

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fitting a turbo

i currently have a 1.5 vti grey import. I recently bought a turbo kit off ebay and wondering if it will be ok to fit as it is. its a d15b so assuming it will fit mine but if not someone let me know please

bolt on turbo kit:

Fit's the following car's

D15A2 CRX HF (Carbed) 1984-1987
D15B2 CIVIC DX/LX 1988-1991
D15B6 CRX DX 1988-1991
D15B6 CIVIC HF/CRX HF 1988-1991
D15B7 CIVIC DX/LX 1992-1995
D15B7 CIVIC CX 1992-1995

what you get:

T25 Turbo

Internally Gated Actuator

Gaskets, Flanges, and Bolts

Manifold - Stainless - bolt on to engine and Turbo

Super Dual Chambered Elbow Adapter
( Connects to Turbo to downpipe )

Stainless Downpipe

50mm B.O.V

The first question i want to ask is... i'm hoping that i wont need to buy anything else to fit this turbo to my car... but not sure if an intercooler is an essential for all turbo cars.

what performance increase should i expect from a kit like this.

can i fit a dump valve.

can it cause any damage to my engine.

I'm new to doing anything like this to cars so thought buying a bolt on turbo kit would be the best option has these are easier to fit (i hope).... also not sure how much power they add but assuming it wont be much so also hoping i wont need to upgrade anything else on my engine.

Thanks in advance
Old 04-02-2006, 04:31 PM
H-T White Ops

That's a cheapass kit. For a first timer with not a lot of kowledge you should have gone with a greddy kit or something. Just looking at that list you're missing a few things.
intercooler
oil supply and return lines
engine management (assuming you don't have this already)
when this thing says flanges, do they mean you have to weld your own flanges on?
And what are you talking about when you said you wanted a dump valve?

Not to be a dick, but sounds to me like you have a lot of homework to do before this thing gets to your house. Do a LOT of reading before you tackle this thing. Cutting corners can blow your motor up.

Also, don't ask "how much HP will it make?"
Old 04-03-2006, 08:22 AM
wez

by engine management do you mean do i have updated ecu because no i dont... i thought the whole idea of a bolt on kit is it just bolts on. i dont have any idea about turbos thats why i went for a basic kit.

i dont know what a flange is, but it was bought off ebay... the preveous guy had a it fitted to his civic so assumed everything would be there.

do i have to fit an intercooler?

by dump valve i think you call them blow off valves

cheers mate for the help
Old 04-03-2006, 08:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (wez)

Sounds like you need to do a lot more research, which you probably should have done before buying the kit.

There are a bunch of holes in your "setup" right now. Intercooler (not necessary, but everybody has one), downpipe, engine management, and since the turbo has an internal wastegate you dont need an external wastegate.

Good luck and have fun searching.
Old 04-03-2006, 08:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (wez)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by wez &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">by engine management do you mean do i have updated ecu because no i dont... i thought the whole idea of a bolt on kit is it just bolts on. i dont have any idea about turbos thats why i went for a basic kit.

i dont know what a flange is, but it was bought off ebay... the preveous guy had a it fitted to his civic so assumed everything would be there.

do i have to fit an intercooler?

by dump valve i think you call them blow off valves

cheers mate for the help</TD></TR></TABLE>

um... no...
bolt on kit means you don't have to fab anything to actually bolt it to your engine. it doesn't say anything about how it'll run... you could go the cheap way and use an FMU for fuel management... or use a VAFC...

but it's a lot smarter/better to do it right with something like uberdata, crome, hondata, or aem ems.

if the kit has already been on a car, it should already have a BOV. if not, definately get one. i assume that the flanges that needed to be welded were at the end of the downpipe, which may need to be shortened/extended to fit your exhaust.

you may also need a bigger exhast/cat, bigger injectors, upgraded fuel pump, etc.

basically, do A LOT of research before you slap it into you car!
Old 04-03-2006, 08:51 AM
wez

i have a apexi vtec controller, i have upgraded my exhaust. the kit included the manifold to so can be fitted with my a/c still in tact.
Old 04-03-2006, 09:30 AM
wez

sorry here i go again... could you list everything i need extra for this to be fitted... im going to read some of the topics on here about fitting turbos and google some info on how they work etc and how they should be fitted.

what would happen if i didn't fit an intercooler.

im not in a ruch to fit this kit so i can always wait.

cheers again