Notices

First time turbo user

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2005, 08:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First time turbo user

HI im new to these forms and i got some questiona about the D16Y8 engine in my 00 civic ex. I am a boost junkie and the first mod i though about was a turbo so i was looking at the edlebrock performer x turbo kit is that a good kit or are the any other ones i should look at? Also i bought this car with a hole in the block so it will be a whole engine rebuild what type of parts should i use since this is my first import and i mostly know V8 stuff. Or should i put in one of the B series motors?
If yall can help me thanks a bunch!

Modified by Mr.boost at 9:39 AM 8/12/2005
Old 08-12-2005, 11:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: First time turbo user (Mr.boost)

well, you have ups and downs for your final decision on which engine to run. b series = more power, more expensive to replace. d series = cheap and fast replacements found, more boost to make more power.

i would build up the d series, but i would put together my own kit for it. last i remember it was 3k for the edelbrock kit. with 3 grand, you can pick and choose which turbo will suit you better, and just have all the parts customized to your needs and wants
Old 08-14-2005, 01:01 PM

Default Re: First time turbo user (tdocrx)

well like what brand of turbos and things imnew to the whole turbo thing i have only run blowers on the past.
Old 08-15-2005, 03:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mr.boost &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well like what brand of turbos and things imnew to the whole turbo thing i have only run blowers on the past.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Blowers, cool.

That's my dad's type of stuff.

I am still trying to learn exaclty what one needs to look at when choosing a turbo, so I can't give you much advise there, but if I was starting over from scratch....

I would pick an engine first, personally I'd say b16 or gsr, then decide what whp you are looking for. If I were you I'd not go over ~300whp without forged pistons and rods just to have a clear conscience. Consensus is &lt;400whp use stock sleeves, with forged pistons and rods. &gt;400whp sleeve it and use forged pistons and rods. Then I would go for the turbo manifold, turbo, wastegate and blow off valve. After that the charge piping (intercooler piping) and intercooler. Then all the peripheries like injectors, intake manifold (the edlebrock victor x is considered by many to be a very good turbo manifold, that is what I have), camshafts (OEM integra type r and gsr cams are considered to be good turbo cams and relatively well priced) and other goodies, like fuel pressure reg, high flow fuel pump (like a walbro 255 lph pump), decent clutch, blah, blah, blah. Oh, and two very important things exhuast system (most likey you want 2.5" or larger, I went with 3") and Engine Management (this you can spend anywhere from ~$200-$2000, most people use hondata or the AEM ems, I chose the AEM). I sent you a pm as well, check that out when you get a chance. Well that's all I can tell you, good luck.
Old 08-15-2005, 03:38 PM

Default Re: First time turbo user (tdocrx)

^^^^ w00t!!!
i did this and got brand new everything for 2500
garret t3 super 60
hks bov
spoolin performance package
tial 38mm wastegate
johnnyracecar.com intercooler.
rc400cc inj
fan, koyo rad etc.
DO YOUR OWN CUSTOM KIT
Old 08-22-2005, 06:50 PM

well i just bought my motor i decided to go with the original d16y8 i got it from a engine importer from japan if you live in the dallas fortworth area and want to know its called ercs japenese motors he can also import cars too like skylines and oither cool cars he also has good prices and the are really nice well i wll keep you updated on the build!
Old 08-23-2005, 09:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i would slowly build a kit together. research and look at what others have. turbo is not a complicated thing, yet it is not easily understood. i know there's a lot of turbo guys on this forum from texas. so you'll get a lot of help if needed.

since you already have the d-series. i would just get a kit together and run it for a while so you know more about the car and turbo setups. after that motor goes, move on to a b-series.