Notices

first time boosting, need help

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2007, 07:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default first time boosting, need help

my goal is to be able to run in the high 12's low 13's, its a stock ls motor right now and I'm really just wondering what would be the best budget friendly build to achieve this, i also would like to have it be reliable and i know that cheap and reliable don't really mix but if someone could guide me in the right direction id appreciate it.

i was thinking since i got the motor out i could go with some l/c pistons, tit retainers and dual valve springs and be safe at 15psi as a daily

what do you guys think
Old 11-10-2007, 07:40 AM
Man U FTW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First off, dont base anything in terms of PSI...if you want to set a goal, do it in terms of horsepower.

Moving on...it wont take a lot to get you into the low 13s or high 12s. If you make around 300whp (which is relatively safe on a stock LS) you should be able to hit your goals.

Depending on your budget, you can go a few ways with your setup. If you dont have a ton of money to spend, you can get by with a log manifold, used turbo, and other various used parts from the Marketplace. If you have more money, i would suggest finding something similar to an SLS shorty manifold (SPoolin Quick4) and run that with a new(er) 57 trim...regardless of how much you plan to spend, one thing i would suggest buying new, is a Tial wastegate. I would not gamble on a used one, but that's me. Another thing that will help you out substantially is a VTEC head. An LS/VTEC conversion would be a good gain for the $$ on a boosted LS.

What fuels are available in your area?? If you're limited to 91-92 octane, then you should aim for 300whp and be happy with it. If you have E85 like we do here in ND, you could hope for a little more power. Whatever you do, be sure to research it first and ask questions when necessary. Dont rush through this or you'll end up doing something wrong and know that this is not a cheap hobby....

Modified by Schister66 at 8:53 AM 11/10/2007
Old 11-13-2007, 04:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Schister66)

sounds good right there

mind you: I did my whole turbo setup (turbo components) for under $500. Most was pick n pull 1/2 off day and craigslist... and a few parted out cars; etc.

Listen to peeps about cheaping on the manifold; u get what you pay for.

Aside from the cons, I went cheap, and have spent under $1,600 total on my boosted car: car, engine, reg, 1yr insurance, turbo components, tires, etc etc. I have had my share of issues (expected) but I have done enough research and prep work and have enough expirance to be able to fix any issue within hours of getting it to the shop.
Old 11-13-2007, 05:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (JaredKaragen)

yes it can be done cheap u just have to be patient and wait for deals...im in the process now of finishing up my budget build and i have 1300 in the whole car...thats buying the car not running with an ls in it found out it was knocking when i got it started so i found a guy getting rid of a built ls bottom end and traded some stuff for it...i just picked up a brand new turbonetics kit with everything i need for 800...on the stock ls head im shooting for high 300 range...last thing i need is a good tune and i dont care what that cost that is the most important to me....just know it can be done u just have to be patient...good luck