Notices

First Born for data logger!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2002, 06:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Born for data logger!!!

I've been looking high and low for a data logger for my (obd1???) 93 Civic EX. It'd be cool to find one for the PalmOS, since I have one of those already...If not, something with it's own module that you hook up to a computer after a run would be cool. Anyone know of one, or have one for sale even?
Old 09-18-2002, 07:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: First Born for data logger!!! (ion_four)

C'mon...anyone know of any besides the ones built into EMS and Hondata? I just want a datalogger, nothin else...anyone into stock class racing that might know? These exist for dsms and whatnot...
Old 09-18-2002, 07:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

DSM guys use these: http://www.pocketlogger.com They have an OBDII version available now for other cars besides DSMs You've probably already seen these though...

[Modified by TheShocker, 12:25 AM 9/19/2002]
Old 09-18-2002, 07:37 PM
filetofit

Data acquisition for PALM: http://my.execpc.com/~fdeck/meld/
Old 09-18-2002, 09:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: First Born for data logger!!! (filetofit)

I'm about to say you are a God, but I need a translation first...basically; if I buy this and plug it into my car and PalmPilot I will get some pretty numbers that tell me whether or not I am blowing up my car? or will I have to hack it a bunch? More importantly, will it physically plug in? I've got a little programming experience, so I might be able to figure it out otherwise. I just don't want to dick with hardware?
Thanks again man, you rock!

As a sidenote...it says that it only supports up to 2.048V input (with 20v overload protection) so, this wouldn't work for a MAP sensor, unless you scaled it down before hand, or if it didn't clip it. this could work, though...

[Modified by ion_four, 6:17 AM 9/19/2002]
Old 09-18-2002, 09:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

im interested in this too. bump.
Old 09-18-2002, 09:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: First Born for data logger!!! (SuperDuperEG)

yeah, looking at it, it seems like it could be really nice. I think it's just going to spit some raw numbers back at me, but I'm sure I could easily graph them...the only problem is that 2.048V maximum, but if you just knock 1v or so out of the MAP output to it, you're cool. It's got the temp sensor, so you could see how efficient your intercooler is or how different heat-shielding works...easily record o2 voltage, as well...mmm...so much to play with! I'm thinkin I should just bite it and buy it. anyone second that?
Old 09-19-2002, 08:52 AM

free bump cuz i am curious too
Old 09-19-2002, 10:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: First Born for data logger!!! (1.8T_EG)

I'm really tempted to just order that and play around with it. I think for about 80-90 bucks I can get everything I need and a couple temps sensors. One thing I'd like to do, though, is to figure out how to install my own knock sensor to use with this. Could I just use a band-pass filter to eliminate all the frequencies aside from whatever the typical knock frequency (1600hz?) is and be able to log this? My main goals are to watch the timing, MAP output, (o2 output for good measure) and maybe even watch the cylinder head temps...the knock sensor would be nice, though.

or, I could just spend 5times as much and get a hondata
Old 09-19-2002, 10:54 AM
filetofit

You got the idea. To log voltages higher than 2.048 volts you just have to divide the input voltage down by say a factor of 2.048/5.0 (for MAP input) and then when you are displaying it on the PALM you can apply a factor of 5.0/2.048 to bring it back up. For that matter you can apply whatever factor you want to convert it from volts to psi, volts to temperature, volts to A/F ratio.

The knock sensor idea is interesting. I assume you would install a stock Honda knock sensor and then monitor the output. I don't know what the output of a knock sensor looks like. I think a knock sensor is just a microphone so I guess if you knew the characteristic frequency of knock you could make a bandpass filter and count the spikes.

[Modified by filetofit, 8:42 PM 9/19/2002]
Old 09-19-2002, 03:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: First Born for data logger!!! (filetofit)

The knock sensor idea is interesting. I assume you would install a stock Honda knock sensor and then monitor the output. I don't know what the output of a knock sensor looks like. I think a knock sensor is just a microphone so I guess if you knew the characteristic frequency of knock you could make a bandpass filter and count the spikes.

[Modified by filetofit, 8:42 PM 9/19/2002]
That's what I was thinking...I might actually use some GM style knock sensor since they're like $20 (probably cheaper than honda?) I'm under the impression that a real knock sensor has to do some calculations (aside from frequency) to determine if it's really a knock, like looking at crank position/timing etc....

anyone know?