Notices

firing engine for the first time questions..

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2006, 11:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default firing engine for the first time questions..

ok im getting tuned by superdave this friday and he is going to be sending me a basemap for my s300 so i can fire it up to break it in and do all the checks like timing, adjust fuel psi, bleed coolant, etc etc..

one question i have is.. do i have to set the timing accordingly with hondata or how do i do that? i thought i read somewhere about that..
Old 10-30-2006, 03:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

how should i break this in? should i even drive it all? i hope not because i have a trailer in the way of my garage door right now.
Old 10-30-2006, 04:25 PM

Default Re: firing engine for the first time questions.. (mike93eh2)

Cool I didn't know your getting tuned by Suprdave. Damn that's a drive .

You may or may not get very mixed opinions on how to break in an engine. I have used the "hard" break in method on my motor and others.

I won't explain why I'll just give you the site:
http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm
Earl and Laskey racing both recommend this.

As for start up procedure: 1.) Prime the oil pump. I like to open the valve cover and dump oil all over the cams and springs etc (don't get it in the spark plugs ). I turn over the engine about 3-4 times for about 5-10 seconds each time.......by the end the oil pressure light would shut-off meaning I have more then a couple PSI of oil pressure.
2.) Plug in the service port so the engine only fires at 16* (for adjusting the timing later)
3.) Start up the car....if it idles then as soon as the oil light comes off rush to the front of the engine and check for oil/fuel leaks....if you have one then fix it...usually they ae minor.
4.) If the oil/fuel is good and you idle decent then use a timing gun and set it to 16* at the dizzy.
5.) I wouldn't take the car out for a drive since you don't know the exact timing and fuel values.....if Suprdave made them too rich (not saying he's a bad tuner) then you won't want to drive on that and risk not seating your rings. The force of beating the engine seats the rings and proper oil is going to be needed (not fuel)

Good luck with everything and I hope you get the numbers you wanted. Tell Dave not to be too conservative . Let us know when you get back.
Old 10-30-2006, 04:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (mike93eh2)

After having Dave tune my car a couple weeks ago and realizing all his knowledge, i would either try calling the shop and asking him yourself or try and pm him online, he's a really nice guy and i doupt its going to inconvience him at all to answer a quick question for you.

But my answer is that as long as your timing on the dizzy hasent been fooled with the basemap should be pretty accurate.

As far as breaking in the motor this is a well covered topic. Some say that you can break in a motor properly on a dyno, while some like to put some miles on their motor to make sure that the rings have seated properly...

Again if you are unsure just ask Dave, believe me he will have an answer for you.

GL, and i will be waiting for the post on what was made after Dave does his thing
Old 10-30-2006, 04:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (urbansi)

Definately tow the car to superdave, and let him fix your basemap, and tune your car there. I would not drive it to him, and I would think about letting him start it also......
Old 10-30-2006, 04:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Tow the car. Get there EARLY
Old 10-30-2006, 04:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: firing engine for the first time questions.. (0x64)

If you DL the newest version of Hondata ver 1.19 you selet set timing, and match it to your timing gun very easy
Old 10-30-2006, 04:46 PM

Default Re: (Mugencrxsir1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mugencrxsir1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Definately tow the car to superdave, and let him fix your basemap, and tune your car there. I would not drive it to him, and I would think about letting him start it also...... </TD></TR></TABLE>

EWWWWW...that's a tough one. I would start it because you don't know if something is wrong and you need to order a part or 2. I wouuldn't want to see him start up the car realizing that he needs say a new injector because one is bad or something else that is fairly minor, yet can't be fixed on the spot. Just my opinion though since he lives so far away.
Old 10-30-2006, 04:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Mugencrxsir1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mugencrxsir1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Definately tow the car to superdave, and let him fix your basemap, and tune your car there. I would not drive it to him, and I would think about letting him start it also...... </TD></TR></TABLE>

yea i pmd dave.. just havent got a response back..

he is the one that said he is going to be emailing me a basemap so i can fire it up and do all the checks/break in..
Old 10-30-2006, 04:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: firing engine for the first time questions.. (0x64)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 0x64 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Tow the car. Get there EARLY</TD></TR></TABLE>

lol, it is getting towed.. superdave is over 7 hours away from me..

and also, i was hoping i didnt have to drive the car because the trailer is right in front of my garage and dont have a truck to move it until thursday..

and ive already read all these long time ago...

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=878397

and there was another one that was better then both of these but i forgot
Old 10-30-2006, 04:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: firing engine for the first time questions.. (OBRJosh)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by OBRJosh &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If you DL the newest version of Hondata ver 1.19 you selet set timing, and match it to your timing gun very easy</TD></TR></TABLE>

yea thats what i heard but i couldnt find that option anywhere. where is it?
Old 10-30-2006, 04:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mike93eh2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

yea thats what i heard but i couldnt find that option anywhere. where is it?</TD></TR></TABLE> the online box up at the top
Old 10-30-2006, 04:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: firing engine for the first time questions.. (adseguy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by adseguy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Cool I didn't know your getting tuned by Suprdave. Damn that's a drive .

You may or may not get very mixed opinions on how to break in an engine. I have used the "hard" break in method on my motor and others.

I won't explain why I'll just give you the site:
Earl and Laskey racing both recommend this.

As for start up procedure: 1.) Prime the oil pump. I like to open the valve cover and dump oil all over the cams and springs etc (don't get it in the spark plugs ). I turn over the engine about 3-4 times for about 5-10 seconds each time.......by the end the oil pressure light would shut-off meaning I have more then a couple PSI of oil pressure.
2.) Plug in the service port so the engine only fires at 16* (for adjusting the timing later)
3.) Start up the car....if it idles then as soon as the oil light comes off rush to the front of the engine and check for oil/fuel leaks....if you have one then fix it...usually they ae minor.
4.) If the oil/fuel is good and you idle decent then use a timing gun and set it to 16* at the dizzy.
5.) I wouldn't take the car out for a drive since you don't know the exact timing and fuel values.....if Suprdave made them too rich (not saying he's a bad tuner) then you won't want to drive on that and risk not seating your rings. The force of beating the engine seats the rings and proper oil is going to be needed (not fuel)

Good luck with everything and I hope you get the numbers you wanted. Tell Dave not to be too conservative . Let us know when you get back.</TD></TR></TABLE>

yea tony laughlin in springfield is a joke... and i need this done quickly. its been too damn long, and i know superdave is the man and is worth the drive and got me in on such short notice!

but yea i pretty much already knew every step you just listed but wasnt sure on how to actualy break it in at first... i know the rings will seat even better over time and actually bump your compression.. but just didnt know for the first time starting it, should i just let it idle and warm up? or should i hold it at a certain rpm or what?
Old 10-30-2006, 04:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Start it up let it idle, check for fuel leaks, Set the timing, and burp the throttle up and down nothing crazy , up to 3k good to go
Old 10-30-2006, 05:14 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mike93eh2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

yea tony laughlin in springfield is a joke... and i need this done quickly. its been too damn long, and i know superdave is the man and is worth the drive and got me in on such short notice!
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, I haven't heard good things from him. I met him at the track one day and he talked to me asking me what my AFR's were. I looked at him with a blank stare saying slowly around 12.0. He said I should go higher like 13.0 that's how he ran his cars.....I was gonna say something, but I'm sure it wouldn't have been pretty. You never replied my PM.
Old 10-30-2006, 05:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by adseguy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yeah, I haven't heard good things from him. I met him at the track one day and he talked to me asking me what my AFR's were. I looked at him with a blank stare saying slowly around 12.0. He said I should go higher like 13.0 that's how he ran his cars.....I was gonna say something, but I'm sure it wouldn't have been pretty. You never replied my PM.</TD></TR></TABLE>

he's an all motor guy.. you sure he didnt think your car was all motor? lol! yea basically he was just unreasonable and unreal!! basically told him to go expletive himself. plenty of other damn good tuners in this great nation.

i never got your pm.. just checked my im history and nope nothing..

btw.. in this thread they are saying to just start it up and dont worry about pulling plugs and trying to build pressure.. exospeed did lube the hell out of the engine, bearings and cylinders, etc.. i think ill just start it up and if it doesnt build pressure right away then i will stop it. need to go get a jug of racegas first..

https://honda-tech.com/zero...age=1
Old 10-30-2006, 05:31 PM

btw.. in this thread they are saying to just start it up and dont worry about pulling plugs and trying to build pressure.. exospeed did lube the hell out of the engine, bearings and cylinders, etc.. i think ill just start it up and if it doesnt build pressure right away then i will stop it. need to go get a jug of racegas first..
</TD></TR></TABLE>

The pressure thing isn't a big deal, I just like haveing oil in the pump. I do get pressure though....I don't agree with EARL on that one. For one guy I even built a good 10psi since he had a gauge.

I just got your PM in my history....I must have checked H-T on another computer that blocked it...oh well, sorry about that. In any case good luck with everything and I can't wait to see your results .
Old 10-30-2006, 05:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by adseguy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The pressure thing isn't a big deal, I just like haveing oil in the pump. I do get pressure though....I don't agree with EARL on that one. For one guy I even built a good 10psi since he had a gauge.

I just got your PM in my history....I must have checked H-T on another computer that blocked it...oh well, sorry about that. In any case good luck with everything and I can't wait to see your results .</TD></TR></TABLE>

ive got vaseline in the pump..so

yea i cant wait.. i have been waiting for this day for 6 months!