Notices

Finally Off Jackstands! Turbo H22 Civic Hatch Part 2

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2004, 09:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finally Off Jackstands! Turbo H22 Civic Hatch Part 2

About a month after I had taken it off the jackstands, I got 550cc injectors and an AEM EMS. After having it dyno tuned, results weren't that great...

So about 200whp... There were problems I saw though. Full boost(7psi) is reached by 4700 but above 4700, boost drops to 4psi. Dunno why this is happening. Car has a hard time idling without it dying out. My tuner couldn't set the idle to 800 because it would die out almost instantly. Idle was set at 1200 and yet it STILL stalled out coasting. At first I thought it was my crappy driving but it was out of gear when i was coasting and it still just died out occasionally. I might have to go back to fix it.
Old 05-26-2004, 09:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Finally Off Jackstands! Turbo H22 Civic Hatch Part 2 (Pikachu)

hmmmm. something funky is going on in there
Old 05-26-2004, 09:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Finally Off Jackstands! Turbo H22 Civic Hatch Part 2 (Raped-Ape)

Ouch.... results hurt. Whats your current motor setup?? Stock internals??
Old 05-27-2004, 04:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Stock everything cept turbo, injectors, and standalone.
Old 05-27-2004, 04:28 AM
Trial User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (Pikachu)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Pikachu &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Stock everything cept turbo, injectors, and standalone.</TD></TR></TABLE>

how long has it been since you did a tune up on the motor?? a recently had a problem w/ a car stalling out like that, i replaced the plugs, wires, fuel filter, cap and rotor and it has not done it since.. good thing to do is also make sure you have the plugs gapped properly.. u dont want a stock gap w/ the turbo now and get a set of colder plugs perhaps.. these are just some ideas for you let us know how it turns out
Old 05-27-2004, 05:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yup, I did put colder plugs in. Starting is a bit odd too. It takes quite a few cranks to get it to start up.
Old 05-27-2004, 05:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Somthing is seriously wrong with those numbers... My stock turbo D made 200whp @ 10psi on a mini-t3. You should be way above this.
Old 05-27-2004, 05:59 AM

Default Re: (Johnyquest)

how experienced is your tuner w/ AEM EMS, are you using the Greddy 18g?
Old 05-27-2004, 06:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

JohnyQuest, Hmm... you're pushing 3 psi more than me. You're right, I should be making more power. Somehow I'm not.

And yes, I'm using the 18g, it's completely rebuilt, so there's nothing wrong with the turbo.

He's very experienced with AEM EMS. DRT's Ralphy helped me out.
Old 05-27-2004, 06:27 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Pikachu &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">JohnyQuest, Hmm... you're pushing 3 psi more than me. You're right, I should be making more power. Somehow I'm not.

And yes, I'm using the 18g, it's completely rebuilt, so there's nothing wrong with the turbo.

He's very experienced with AEM EMS. DRT's Ralphy helped me out.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm surprised. I've been hearing some stories lately, and I think Ralphy's losing his touch. [flame suit]Maybe too much blunts.[/flame suit]

All of your problems sound like fuel problems directly associated with miscalibrated oversized injectors to me. Have you looked over the maps your self, or do you just trust someone elses word completely?
Old 05-27-2004, 06:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Probably. I've been trusting him. Everyone says he's very good. So I trust him completely. Don't get me wrong though. The tune is very smooth. The car drives very nicely. Cept when it's just sitting at the light... quite a few drivers wanted to throw **** at me last night....
Old 05-27-2004, 06:46 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Pikachu &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> Don't get me wrong though. The tune is very smooth. The car drives very nicely.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah. At least 100hp under average. That IS smooth.

The only thing smooth right now is your anus. Get your self a laptop and take a look over the maps. The fact that you're losing boost up high AND sputters down low = not a smooth tune, so time to take a peek at what's really going on. Be a more educated and proactive consumer and don't just accept the waste that's thrown at you. It's a saaaad sight to see tuners get lame. Either they go into "mass production" mode and do 1/2assed jobs on a mass of cars, or like they just go stale after a while. Ralphy has an expiration date on his neck, by any chance did you get a look at it?
Old 05-27-2004, 07:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I plan to do that. But even so, what should I be expecting with 7-8psi? I would guess 230-250 Max.
Old 05-27-2004, 07:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Three things I would check

1) Do a valve adjustment (could be out of wack making it hard to start
2)redo your cam and ingition timing
3)check your wastegate for leaks along with your vaccum lines

Something is definately wrong here.
Old 05-27-2004, 07:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks MIKES. I'm still sorta new to FI. I will check all that. Do u have any idea what's going on with the dying idle?
Old 05-27-2004, 08:38 AM

230hp would be mild as hell. Think about it. Some H22's come with 220 stock at 0psi. You've got 7, and dyno at their exact same hp.
Old 05-27-2004, 08:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

time to get some money back or get the guy to tune it right. 200hp is crap coming from an H22 that has been turbocharged. The regular civics with H22 N/A would give you a run for your money.

I hope things work out. It'd suck to find out if the tuner screwed you though. I hope that is not the case.
Old 05-27-2004, 09:43 AM

Default Re: (B16Drag)

i bet its either a vaccum leak or an intercooler/boost leak..

are you on stock internal gate?

do you have a boost controller?

get pics we can usally figure **** out.
Old 05-27-2004, 09:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If there was a vacuum leak, the idle would be really erratic. I will check for intercooler/boost leak. I'm on the stock wastegate and no I don't have a boost controller.
Old 05-28-2004, 06:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Going to rebuild motor and do a sc64 or bigger in the next few months. This experience showed me that I need a better manifold and turbo to make the numbers I want... Oh well, since I'm building the motor, I'll shoot for 600whp then. Everything's a learning experience I say.
Old 06-04-2004, 08:02 AM

Default Re: (1316130057)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 1316130057 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Yeah. At least 100hp under average. That IS smooth.

The only thing smooth right now is your anus. Get your self a laptop and take a look over the maps. The fact that you're losing boost up high AND sputters down low = not a smooth tune, so time to take a peek at what's really going on. Be a more educated and proactive consumer and don't just accept the waste that's thrown at you. It's a saaaad sight to see tuners get lame. Either they go into "mass production" mode and do 1/2assed jobs on a mass of cars, or like they just go stale after a while. Ralphy has an expiration date on his neck, by any chance did you get a look at it?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Take it easy Beefcake

John has come a long way from when I found him...he took it to Ralphy as he had the opportunity and thought he was getting a rather good deal. He helped out a lot on the wrenching and install...and as he learns, he can become a more proactive consumer...people start from somewhere, correct?

It seems Ralphy was EXTREMELY conservative with this tune. Vac maps seem very good. My guess is he took a previous customer's vac map, loaded it up and hit a few awry spots on the dyno...not tough to do.

Boost is crazy. As the vac/boost threshold is crossed...there is a huge power drop as AFRs shoot way down to 10.5 and slowly come up to 11. This and the fact that the timing must be severly retarded because there is no power. I would call this close to 'Basemap' quality...

We have to get his Boost Controller installed to steady the boost levels and then see if we cant figure out what is up with the idle.

I don't know AEM well at all...but I'm a quick learner and the basics are setup...it's time to fine tune.
Old 06-04-2004, 08:19 AM

Default Re: (xenocron)

Can you post an Air-fuel map and a boost map?
Old 06-04-2004, 08:50 AM
TurboJesse

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Pikachu &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Going to rebuild motor and do a sc64 or bigger in the next few months. This experience showed me that I need a better manifold and turbo to make the numbers I want... </TD></TR></TABLE>

another one lost to the H-T bandwagon

You do NOT need a bigger turbo or a Better manifold I know people making better numbers with log manifold that look like complete **** and t3's they pulled from saab's at the local junkyard.
Old 06-04-2004, 10:24 AM

Default Re: (Mpir3)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mpir3 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

another one lost to the H-T bandwagon

You do NOT need a bigger turbo or a Better manifold I know people making better numbers with log manifold that look like complete **** and t3's they pulled from saab's at the local junkyard. </TD></TR></TABLE>

This is very true...but you cant stop people from doing what they want to with their money. It's all about knowledge and money. In the real world, both equal POWER. In this sense, you can make good power with little money if you have the knowledge just as you can make lots of power with little knowledge and lots of money. It really depends on which one you have more of and how you plan to use what you do have. Can't fault someone for it tho...

Mpir3, are you gonna be at the Marcus Dairy meet in CT next weekend?

For the guy that asked to post a map, would you pay $300 to get a map tuned and then post it for free on the internet for others to use?
Old 06-04-2004, 10:56 AM
TurboJesse

Default Re: (xenocron)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by xenocron &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

This is very true...but you cant stop people from doing what they want to with their money. It's all about knowledge and money. In the real world, both equal POWER. In this sense, you can make good power with little money if you have the knowledge just as you can make lots of power with little knowledge and lots of money. It really depends on which one you have more of and how you plan to use what you do have. Can't fault someone for it tho...

Mpir3, are you gonna be at the Marcus Dairy meet in CT next weekend?

For the guy that asked to post a map, would you pay $300 to get a map tuned and then post it for free on the internet for others to use?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I was just saying that going to a larger turbo/better manifold will not solve the problem. There is a problem somewhere that differs from the manifold/turbo. A new turbo and manifold won't solve the problem.

I wish i was going to the meet...unfortunately I'll either be working or if i do get a day off tyring to get my car done. Meet would be nice though

Quick Reply: Finally Off Jackstands! Turbo H22 Civic Hatch Part 2