Notices

Finally getting ready to put it together, HAVE QUESTIONS!

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2004, 03:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finally getting ready to put it together, HAVE QUESTIONS!

Alright its almost time to put this thing together finally. I have a few last minute questions if anybody could help me out.

I've searched, but am confused exactly which NGK plugs do I need to run for a 7-12 psi application? for a stock B18B.

Why does everyone place the BOV so far away from the throttle body?

Is it necessary for the oil sensor on the back of the block where you tap to run the lines, is it necessary to keep that, what exactly is it, and do I absolutely need it? If its a stock oil pressure sensor, I have a gauge inside...so do I need that if it thats what it does?

I just switched to 93 octane when I had about 3-5 gallons of 87 left. How long do I have to wait until its fully converted over to 93 octane, or can I get some ricer octane booster to put in there just to make sure the octane levels are safe to boost.

And with 7 psi, can I run the stock PCV system temporarily with a breather filter on the valve cover and stock PCV elsewhere?

If there is anything I need to know that helped you out, post that as well.

ALL responses will be appreciated thanks.
Old 07-25-2004, 03:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Finally getting ready to put it together, HAVE QUESTIONS! (pushinlsteg)

bump it up...I need some answers by tomorrow people!
Old 07-25-2004, 04:06 PM
B A N N E D

Default Re: Finally getting ready to put it together, HAVE QUESTIONS! (pushinlsteg)

The oil pressure sensor on the back of the block only triggers the "Check oil" light on your gauge cluster, by the time that thing goes off, your motor most likely would have been gone by then (turns on at ridiculously low oil pressure)

Running the stock PCV valve will be okay, a lot of people just dont touch it and theyre fine (although its recommended to get a catch can) also, just be sure not to connect the valve cover line to the charge piping, it will pressurize the valve cover and somethings gonna eventually expoded (valve cover gasket or whatever) and cause a big mess!

Spark plugs, just get 2 step colder plugs, and gap them accordingly

As far as your gas being 93 octane, i'd just run it really low then stick some more 93 in there. It evens out, so if u had like 87 and u put 93 in it, it should be around 90 octanish, just try to burn it off as much as possible, but i doubt you'll notice any major problems

Last question about the BOV, people place them wherever they want, i notice on hondas we tend to place them closer to the throttle body, but nissan guys etc like to put theirs next to the turbine itself. /shrug but we place them wherever we want (everyones is a lil different) and nobody has experienced any major problems so i wouldnt worry about that.
Old 07-25-2004, 04:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Finally getting ready to put it together, HAVE QUESTIONS! (VNTEC)

The BOV can go anywhere between the turbo "compressor" and the throttle body inlet. There were a bunch of threads about which is better 1. closer to the throttle body 2. closer to the turbo compressor outlet.
Basically just choise what you like best and go with it.

Just go easy on the current fuel fill and you will be fine. Besides you may want to give your engine alittle breaking period with the new turbo system anyways.
Old 07-26-2004, 09:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

one more bump