Notices

Finally fixed oil leak!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2002, 09:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finally fixed oil leak!!

Spent 6 hours today taking the DP and part of IC piping off to get to the ever leaky oil return line.... let me first go into the history of my oil leak for the past 6 months ever since I went turbo.

In the beginning when I bought the turbo used, it had the ghetto crappy barbed fitting for use with a shitty rubber house. Now the barbed fitting flange for the oil return line on the turbo was held in place by 2 studs with a nut on each.... my turbo leaked and leaked with this rubber hose for 3-4 months.

Finally I was fed up, after looking at the line countless times, even replacing the hose with a stainless line didn't do anything. It appeared that the flange was leaking, or somewhere around it. After close inspection and bruised elbows being under the car, I narrowed it down to definatly the flange and no the turbo.

It was time to get the oil return line ditched in favor of a REAL oil return setup, all earl -10AN fittings and stainless line and new return flange the whole 9 yards. So I took it to rpm in the city and they re-did the line for me, new oil pan (so not as to reweld a fitting and have it leak possibly) brand new fittings and return flange....

.... the problem persisted. I did notice however that when they did the line they replaced one of the stud/bolts with a REAL bolt, but left the other stub in... I tried tightening it only to realize the stud was turning WITH the bolt.... so this HAD to be my culprit.

After trying to take the return line off and removing the stud (unsucessful) I just let it be for a while, sick of changin oil and dealing with it.

Finally today I devoted the whole day to either trying to get the stud out or putting a REAL gasket in between the flange and the turbo (the shop used liquid gasket only). So I bought some cork rolled up and cut myself a gasket with a nice fit, used some sealant and when we tried to put the flange back on, the nut wasn't grabbing and staying, only spinning with the bolt.... it looked hopeless... I finally got pissed off and just decided to tighten that bitch as much as I could (with the return and flange off) and I got it nice and tight, and then started to loosen it and by god the stud was coming out too, little by litte, till eventually the WHOLE god damn forsaken piece of **** came the **** out of my turbo. I WAS STOKED!!!! The rest is history, put the flange back on with a tial wg alen key bolt (happened to be the only right threaded bolt I had) with gasket and sealant and all, put some oil in the car, boosted a little bit and parked the car and NO OIL!!!! NOT A GOD DAMN DROP!!!!!!

Since day 1 of turbo I leaked oil till 6 months later today, FINALLY not leaking oil anymore...

LESSON TO ALL THOSE WHO WANT TURBOS/KITS: Ditch whatever PIECE OF **** return line all these kits get you and get earl fittings, bolts and a REAL gasket... trust me on this unless you want constant slight oil leaking problems, DO IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME AND SAVE YOURSELF THE HEADACHE!!!!

Sorry if some of your are bored by my lengthy post but I just HAD to get out my excitement...
Old 10-05-2002, 09:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Finally fixed oil leak!! (shadowdawn)

glad you fixed your problem, i hate leaks
Old 10-06-2002, 11:29 AM
New User

Default Re: Finally fixed oil leak!! (CDooMe2)

Feels good doesnt it?? I felt so great when I fixed the leaky oil pump on my old gsr. Even though it took me until 1 in the morning and I had to wake up like 4 or 5 hours later......felt great to see no drips underneath the car.
Old 10-06-2002, 04:56 PM

Default Re: Finally fixed oil leak!! (IntegD)

Oh god yea does it feel good
Old 10-06-2002, 05:59 PM
JV
Who?

Good job mang...
Old 10-06-2002, 06:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Finally fixed oil leak!! (JV)

man my piece of **** DRAG return line leaks too.....damn garden hose. howver mine has a mind of its own, sometimes it leaks, sometimes it doesnt. its so odd.

one day ill get ambition and do the SS lines....

On me for being lazy
Old 10-06-2002, 08:24 PM
New User

Default Re: Finally fixed oil leak!! (NYb16)

GO YOU! At least you didn't have to pull the pan to replace the O ring on you Bulkhead that was leaking a half a quart a night... THAT sucked major ******* for me this past week. BUT now no leaks.

I'm STOKED.
Old 10-06-2002, 11:30 PM

Default Re: Finally fixed oil leak!! (SiR Kid)

would you mind posting pics an part numbers fo your setup?
Old 10-07-2002, 08:07 AM

Default Re: Finally fixed oil leak!! (BoOsTeD_eK)

Return:
Aluminum return flange found at turbocharged.com p/n is 20259.
-10AN flange side male to hose -- 824510
(2 ft needed) -10AN hose -- 400100
-10AN 45 to pan fitting -- 804610
-10AN union for tapping pan -- 981510
-10AN bluhead nut for union in pan -- 992410
Stratoseal for union (package includes 2) -- 178014

No pics yet, my digi sucks *** especially at close up pictures..
Old 10-07-2002, 09:39 AM

Cool..I hate leaks as well...I dont have any oil leaks but I have an exhaust leak....and a tranny leak..how great..
Old 10-07-2002, 10:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 10-07-2002, 10:33 AM
New User

Default Re: Finally fixed oil leak!! (CDooMe2)

it felt good to fix my leaky oil return line, too. less hassle to worry about.