Finally boosted.. well almost...

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 06:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Finally boosted.. well almost... (HiProfile)

did I ever say complete?

**** man... as I stated earlier, the IC is on the jetta we are dismantling; once we pull the motor, the K03 and intercooler are mine... perfect IC for this setup, the DP, well, I haven't had time; in which I stated earlier that I will be trailering it to my local muffler guy to have one fabbed up.... but that's after I make an adaptop flange to mount the K03 sport off the jetta. That way I will have a T3 DP, and a DP for the K03 sport.

Work in progress man... This isn't a daily driver (it will be one in a few months) and only gets test-driven... well now almost never... only moved from the storage flat to the workshop.

**** the turbo was for fitment only... the using of it, well, I guess you can say we want a reason to pull the already slipping clutch out of it to put in a perfectly good one.... it had some shaftplay (in and out) so that's why I didn't care running it without an oil line... though the resivoir system works fine for short-term testing purposes.... When we make turbo'd shifter karts before, we would weld up the exhaust side to have a 3/16 hole in it... with a welded fitting leading to a sump, and an overhead resivoir fed into the turbo's inlet for an oil supply... pretty sound idea for smaller applications where we didn't want to dril/tap the block to get a pressurized oil system. all we did was basically cork up the drain, and put a resivoir up top (a mini steel funnel that fit perfectly), and put oil in, getting the bubbles out, so it was enough to keep it wet. I don't plan on using this turbo on my real setup.

This is a work in progress once again..... I have finally slowly acquired enough to bolt most up... and the Ricemobile was a budget project so I thought I would combine the 2... so I can see what I have to work with and build off that.

so please, keep flaming ... it adds fuel to the fire makes me wanna make it look ghettoer than it started....

anything for a laugh... no seriously... I told my friends this was a budget car, and if they wanted to contribute, feel free. They can buy a fat ricer wing... whatever.... it is all fun in games untill the body gets done... then the real changes start to happen!

****... my buddy got the nuclear symbol for it.. I slapped it on 5 min later

it is called "The Ultimate Ricemobile" or "Project Rice" for a reason.
Old 06-11-2007, 06:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Finally boosted.. well almost... (JaredKaragen)

You will learn that people here don’t read. They just talk out their ***'....... and people like that is the reason I am getting out of the Honda scene. To many idiots who think they know everything. They think everything has to be a top budget build. And if you aren’t on the Bandwagon then you better not post here
Old 06-11-2007, 07:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i consider it a death trap because its simply hacked together... you can do a budget build and make it look nice and function correctly! i mean come on this thing doesnt exactly look "safe"...
Old 06-11-2007, 08:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Finally boosted.. well almost...

Haha. This is awesome. Who is tuning the car? Good luck!
Old 06-11-2007, 08:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

lmao
Old 06-11-2007, 08:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

for once its safe to say that, the ssac manifold is the nicest, longest lasting part on the whole car daaaammnn.
Old 06-11-2007, 09:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (fast2camciv)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by pauld &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> "its like the biggest doublebangerfingerintheaireatmehondatech car ever!"
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Hahahahahahahahaha!!! I love honda-tech. Always good for a laugh.
Old 06-11-2007, 10:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah, it is a SSAC knockoff... basically their style made by someone else. It is pretty sturdy, and I checked the welds myself... but for $100... whatever =P

yours truly will be tuning it...

I have a JAW (homebrew) Wideband with built in logging, ostrich, CROME Pro, HULog, and lots of knowledge from reading boost books, turbochager theory and operation books, and other assorted references.

I have gotten a basic idea of tuning down by using CROME on my 4Dr civic. When it comes to tuning boost, I have read alot on theory and followed on a few people I know. I am not jumping neck deep into this... I know what I am getting myself into. I have probably spent 2 years+ investigating and researching how-to's and other assorted references on turbocharging vehicles (not specifically hondas, but some specifically for).

most people think PVC is unsafe... yes it is when not glued together with the proper glue/primer. People use Schedule 40 PVC to plumb in air lines for air tools.. that's 100+PSI... these tubes are rated well within the tollerances of the requirements of a vehicle. Everything is &gt;securely&lt; clamped down and ensured they won't just fall out...

I understand the "reatrdedness" you speak of... that's why I never posted here I think... but then again, on d-series.org, if you be REAL, and tell it how it IS without being a HYPOCRITE... well.. damn... I guess I don't deserve to be on a site governed by a bunch of stuck-up hick rednecks on the east coast that need to get out of the shell of the past and understand: "You have to move forward to progress."

Yeah.. haha. Well, I guess that's my flame to add to the fire! lol
Old 06-12-2007, 06:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ehhh...you deserve to be struck in the head with a hammer for not giving your turbo oil while driving it. thats like having a black inmate rape your *** with out lube, its just gonna tear **** up
Old 06-12-2007, 06:20 AM

Default Re: (JaredKaragen)

Pvc is no longer code compliant, atleast in CO city limits, it explodes when it gets older but it should hold 7psi.
No doubt your learning and thats cool, just think how pissed a guy would be to get smoked by a home depot turbo kit.....

Old 06-12-2007, 06:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok, everything has been pulled out and we already have a junk slip from the Jetta, so I will be fabbing up an adaptor plate and once that is complete I will be putting the setup on the D15B.

We ran the setup one last time today, pulling it up the hill with the BOV on... way better throttle response.

More TBA.
Old 06-12-2007, 06:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (The Lobster)

wait your set up is a missing something a intercooler made out of cardboard. lol wtf is wrong with people.
Old 06-12-2007, 08:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (HondaCivicSiR1)

Keep goin with the build! I'm really liking how quick people are to flame this thread. Finally someone is simply having fun with a build, and people are freaking out like your PVC pipe is gonna cause a chernobyl nuclear meltdown, and suck the entire honda weenie universe into the giant black hole caused by your lack of downpipe!!
Some people just dont get it...
Old 06-12-2007, 09:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Finally boosted.. well almost... (BoostedEG6)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BoostedEG6 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You will learn that people here don’t read. They just talk out their ***'....... and people like that is the reason I am getting out of the Honda scene. To many idiots who think they know everything. They think everything has to be a top budget build. And if you aren’t on the Bandwagon then you better not post here </TD></TR></TABLE>

I am a "hater" and will probably always be a "hater" of this kind of thing. I have always been and always will be a do it right or don't do it at all kind of person. As far as I'm concerned, he's cutting unneccessary corners.

He keeps saying "this is only temporary" and "until I put real money into it." ****, it's not like he has another $1000 to spend before this car is somewhat acceptable. 200 maybe 300 bucks and the car has metal IC plumbing, a half decent FMIC, BOV, downpipe, and for christs sake an actual wastegate blockoff plate and oil lines...

It's ghetto when it doesn't need to be, if he's doing it paycheck by paycheck than his only excuse is that he didn't want to wait to collect all of the right parts before he put this car together.

This is not rocket science, and with how easy it is to find simple parts such as the things that he is missing there is no reason why he should have PVC (which begins to melt at ~160 degrees), no oil lines, no intercooler, and just an overall extremely ghettofabbed hunk of **** setup.

/Rant for the evening.

And for the sake of being nice, I hope you eventually get all the parts that you need before you ruin all of that work you did on the engine.
Old 06-12-2007, 11:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Haha Thanks for the replies guys.

Things are gonna move slow for the next few weeks, untill we get the jetta gutted and motor pulled. Once that is done, I will be able to fab up the adaptor plate then get the DP made.

I stripped down that turbo today... The exhaust housing has to go.. and it had shaft ply both ways before the install, and it had about the same when pulled. I am dipping the housings right now in chem dip to get em all cleaned up as spares.

I think the K03 will be better for the setup... quicker spool up and water cooling on top of oil cooling.

I must say... open header is damned louder than open turbo... but doesn't sound as cool

Well, time for sleep, work is early.
Old 06-20-2007, 10:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I got the WG [$60] after I took everything off.... I need to smog the car soon.. then comes motor swap with a new turbo and better parts

Last edited by JaredKaragen; 04-26-2010 at 12:36 PM.
Old 06-20-2007, 11:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JaredKaragen &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">most people think PVC is unsafe... yes it is when not glued together with the proper glue/primer. People use Schedule 40 PVC to plumb in air lines for air tools.. that's 100+PSI... these tubes are rated well within the tollerances of the requirements of a vehicle. Everything is &gt;securely&lt; clamped down and ensured they won't just fall out...</TD></TR></TABLE>

I dont think anybody thinks it wont hold pressure - i think we are all worried about it melting. PVC wasnt designed to be installed in a hot engine bay with hot air blowing out of a turbo. Its just going to melt and then catch fire. Its totally unsafe and a fire hazzard.

Its not like metal piping is expensive or anything - you could EASILY build the piping you have with one $18 ubend. Hell even if you dont weld the pipe together and you use a bunch of clams. Or another idea is to use a truck radiator hose - at least that wont melt and catch fire.

All it takes is for your ghettotastic oil lines to leak and since you dont have a downpipe it could easily start a fire - using your PVC pipes as fuel. The whole car would go up in flames.

Im all about HMT kits as much as the next guy, but my god man dont risk your life because you want to save a few bucks. Use a little common sense - if it takes you a extra few days to finish your project - dont you think your life is worth it?

liam
Old 06-20-2007, 11:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (liam821)

lol, don't worry, it was only temporary... It's ust fun to blotch together something to see people freak out like it's the end of the world...

The piping will be ready shortly.. We are junking the Jetta this weekend so I will have the K03, an old downpipe (to mod to fit), new car from the Jetta, Piping welded together, and Intercooler, the BOV mounted to the new piping setup, and alot more. Every time the setup was ran, it was not for more than 15 min... enough time to warm up the car, and do a few runs up and down the road.

A deal is going through in a week for me to sell a project. I got my hands on a 91 Dodge Stealth AWD TT, rear ended. It needs a set of rear control arms, a gas tank, and a bumper/lights. The rear 1/4 panel was already fixed... The interior was ripped out to do the work , and when the car was sold (didn't want to finish it) it just got piled inside and sat there.

The motor alone is worth $1,500, so I posted it up for that much. I only paid $500 for it. This will be a good boost for project rice... some much needed cash to get the best parts out of the way. I think it's only going to cost me around $200 to get the body work done, and another $200 to get it a good paint job.

more TBA.
Old 06-21-2007, 03:57 PM

lmao

go race one time at least before the car falls apart
Old 06-21-2007, 04:14 PM

Default Re: Finally boosted.. well almost... (wakedoe)

no wonder .. you're from gilroy !
Old 06-21-2007, 04:20 PM
Do you even PLEBE R8?

Default Re: Finally boosted.. well almost... (SovXietday)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SovXietday &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I am a "hater" and will probably always be a "hater" of this kind of thing. I have always been and always will be a do it right or don't do it at all kind of person. As far as I'm concerned, he's cutting unneccessary corners. </TD></TR></TABLE>

So are you the type that hate on the Home Made Turbo guys lol cuz they cut corners and do builds for under 1k with used parts?

If you dont have the money to do a glamorous hard parking topmounted setup i say use what you got. It might not be the best idea using PVC piping or a good one at that but if your learning and having fun who gives a ****. No point in bashing something unique just because it doesnt fit the h-t bandwagon profile

This project cracks me up and needs to get done so we can see some dyno numbers lol. Id put carpet around the pvc piping though while you do in case it explodes lol
Old 06-21-2007, 04:23 PM

do you have to take the ic piping off and put it back on the toilet every time you need to take a ****???
Old 06-21-2007, 07:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (gogunkergorilla)

Haha, nope... I don't have to take it off to take a ****.. but the BOV could be used to relieve sewage gasses... I think your on to something.... Keep on brain storming!!!

Gilroy... well, I keep the project in Gilroy at our workshop.

Yeah... I need to find a dyno in the area... I will be keeping the ghetto setup to do a duny pull along side the pull with all the new equipment on it.

I am waiting for a replacement wideband controller right now, once it is in I will perminantly install it in the ricemobile, but I need to find a place to put the AFR display.

I am wondering about the K03... I am thinking I might have to weld a T3 flange onto it so that I can run it with this manifold... If I am not mistaken, it has an odd flange, similar in shape to the HX manifold.

When I took off the piping there were no signs of melting o anything of that nature, not even oil (well, there was no "pressure" for th eoiling system at that point.

As for the oiling on the K03, I will be fixing a restrictor to the inlet, and using the stock flanges for the inlet and drain on that setup. The next step from that will either be a ball-bearing or a hybrid turbo.

We broke our last floor jack the other day... so work is haulted on the proects untill we get off our *** and get a new one.... I am just waiting on that stealth to sell.. it's a very rare car, not many left... and I can't believe this guy is lagging on this deal... the motor is worth more than I am asking for the whole car.
Old 06-21-2007, 08:38 PM
ej8
Honda-Tech Member

GOOD FUN lol

Screw the flamers! As long as you are having fun who cares what everyone else thinks
Old 06-21-2007, 09:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ej8)

lol thats just awesome....wish i could get a car for free

Quick Reply: Finally boosted.. well almost...