Notices

Final Turbo Questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2003, 06:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Final Turbo Questions

I am now planning on turbo-charging my d16y8 show car with the new apexi kit, i only have a few questions to anyone that can answer...

1. If you live in CA how will that work if a cop pulls you over and "inspects"? because they even run the numbers on my CAI, and thats basic. And also how will smog work?
2. What more do I need besides the kit?
3. How much am i looking to spend overall?
4. Can i install myself, i am medium experience, i change oil in 15 mins, ive changed my brakes installed my cai, and exhaust, so what do you think?
5. Also around how much am i looking to spend for tuning?

Thanks for your time guys, and im really glad there is a forum like this
Old 04-21-2003, 07:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Final Turbo Questions (totaled)

First of all, screw the Apexi turbo kit if your looking for those carb numbers or whatever. In most cases the cop wont give a rats ***. They say "anything before the cat" is illegal. Dont skimp yourself of the power and get a drag turbo kit.

2. that is a broad question. We need your goals in mind to come up with a price. I can say $3000 - $10000.

3. Installing a turbo is a lot more in depth than changing oil and installing bolt ons. My first turbo install took me over a week because I had no experienced people to help me though it. The install is straight foward, BUT I guarentee that there are going to be a LOT of little things that will hold you up. Now that ive installed 5 kits on peoples cars, it take me maybe 2-3 days. You will need welding done.

4. Tuning will be ~185 an hour on a dyno. I guess your looking into a standalone system like Hondata(IMO the best) Make sure your fuel system is not skimped. It is the absolute most important for the longetivity of your motor. I can tell you right now what you need. Hondata s200 or 2b, at least 440'cc injectors, walbro gss342 255 lph intank pump and a good 1:1 FPR.

Thats all for now. Please list your goals for better more specific answers.
Old 04-21-2003, 07:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Final Turbo Questions (intekragsr)

if your looking for a carb exempt turbo kit .. try greddy.
Old 04-21-2003, 07:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Final Turbo Questions (turbod16y8)

CA cops, especially socal, dont care about CARB stuff. They will still send you to the state refferee. Ive seen it happen countless times.

Governor Gray Davis passes some **** about no more fix it tickets for things like exhaust, ect ect. Instead of ticket to fix, its a ticket for the state ref. So carb numbers dont help........all the time at least.
Old 04-21-2003, 07:49 PM

Well when i was last pulled over (2 weeks ago) i got a fix it ticket for my exhaust being too loud and no front plate, and they scanned the #'s on my aem CAI to make sure the carb was real.

Sorry i should have been more clean, im trying to get this for under the price of a LS Swap or B16A2 swap, or else i can just do that, which woul dmake more sense to me.

I want more quickness, i dont want to be the fastest car on the block, but i want to be semi-fast. I want to run around 8-10 psi safely and be pulling 14's or so. thats all.

Should i take it to a shop? id rather take the time to do it myself , cause i love workin on my car...
Old 04-21-2003, 07:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What do you mean they scanned the carb number? Is there a bar code on it? Just curious. Or did they just call in the numbers on the sticker?

All I can say is, if you get a turbo, make sure you dont go in with the mentality of " I want to do it as cheaply as possible. Im telling you, if you say "imma spend 4000" you will spend more. Turbo is a huge money pit and many members of this board can testify to that, as well as me.

8-10 psi, get a greddy kit, upgrade to the intercooler and blow off valve since you are a show(intercooler and BOV make the kit illegal btw). Ditch the POS blue box, and use the fuel setup I listed above. (Ditching the blue box will make it illegal) but the cop wont know unless he searches every aspect of the kit. Find a hondata 2b and the box is blue too

So by saying taht, I still recommend the Drag Kit. Most cops dont know the difference between the internal wastegate and an external wastegate(which makes drag kits illegal) I can hook it up with greddy stickers and greddy carb papers too. The power you make out of a greddy kit is going to be gay. at 5.5 psi, you will make around 140whp. So in other words, a turbo civic can get beat by a stock gsr. Thats pathetic imo. Talk to FredoSP on this board. He seems to be the greddy man.
Old 04-21-2003, 11:35 PM

I dont want to do it cheap, its just i dont want to end up spending more then i would for a swap that will put down around the same numbers from a stock motor, ya know what im sayin?

Also, i know the BOV and FMIC make the kit illegal, but i hope they wont pay attention to those details, i just need something that i can pass smog and daily drive without worrieng about a lot of hassle from the 5-0, cause i already get enough with out the turbo.

Im just worried that i will put in all this work and end up having to hassle with passing it through smog and beign harassed even more by cops, here is a pic of my car to show you what im dealing with.

So basically im trying to figure out how much im looking to spend total, including labor time and tuning for a nicely set up SOHC turbo at 8-10 psi to lay down solid power for daily driving.
Old 04-22-2003, 12:04 AM

why are BOV's illegal there? the dsm's come with stock BOV's and they aren't illegal where you are rite? are they?
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by totaled &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I dont want to do it cheap, its just i dont want to end up spending more then i would for a swap that will put down around the same numbers from a stock motor, ya know what im sayin?

Also, i know the BOV and FMIC make the kit illegal, but i hope they wont pay attention to those details, i just need something that i can pass smog and daily drive without worrieng about a lot of hassle from the 5-0, cause i already get enough with out the turbo.

Im just worried that i will put in all this work and end up having to hassle with passing it through smog and beign harassed even more by cops, here is a pic of my car to show you what im dealing with.

So basically im trying to figure out how much im looking to spend total, including labor time and tuning for a nicely set up SOHC turbo at 8-10 psi to lay down solid power for daily driving.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 04-22-2003, 11:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Final Turbo Questions (deebee-II)

Beautiful car bro! Goodluck with the turbo setup
Old 04-22-2003, 11:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Final Turbo Questions (deebee-II)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by deebee-II &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">why are BOV's illegal there? the dsm's come with stock BOV's and they aren't illegal where you are rite? are they?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

dsm bov's are not vented into the atmosphere
Old 04-22-2003, 11:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Final Turbo Questions (AztecEJ)

Ive never understood why BOV's are illegal... maybe there just confused there like the magazine "honda tuning" and think all a turbo does it recirculate exhaust gas
Old 04-22-2003, 03:23 PM

Well im still wondering price figure, what im looking to build the final system, solid turbo to run 8-10 psi daily driven, fmic, bov, and all proper fuel management hondata2b and proper gauges....

From past experience , anyone know how much it will run me total?

Modified by totaled at 12:41 AM 4/23/2003
Old 04-22-2003, 03:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you can put one together with everything listed for around 1600+ for used parts.. a new kit will run you 2500+.. if you build one yourself make sure you rebuild the turbo (unless its new) I am putting together a turbo kit now. ill keep you posted./
Old 04-22-2003, 03:43 PM

Default Re: Final Turbo Questions (arsenaldragster)

im looking for brand new, every thing all together. Full greddy kit, or apexi, FMIC, hondata2b, new injectors, boost gauge, turbo timer, V-afc, Fuel / Air, FP gauges....the works if its 2500 or under its worth it to me, if not i can get a swap for a b16a2 or even a ls non-vtec that wont be much slower
Old 04-22-2003, 06:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you will not be able to do it for under 2500.

greddy kit, FMIC, BOV, piping, welding for the BOV+oil return, hondata, tuning the hondata, gauges, injectors, turbo timer, etc..

why do you want a V-afc?
Old 04-23-2003, 11:27 PM

Default Re: Final Turbo Questions (H-T Member)

yea im realizing its gonna cost a fuckload more then i thought, because the "kits" dont come with everything, so i think im going to start planning for a LSVTEC
Old 04-23-2003, 11:30 PM

So what happens if you show a non CA driver's license and your car has out of state plates? They cant do ****, right?
Old 04-24-2003, 04:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Totaled, I am going to do the Apexi setup for my wife's 98 EX. My total will be around $3200 complete. So it will definetly be expensive, however she will not feel front heavy from the engine swap, and if it blows up the parts are a little cheaper. But for what your looking for just do the swap, and let me know your times..
Old 04-24-2003, 06:23 PM

Default Re: Final Turbo Questions (dabrown)

yea thats true, but also my thing is. Im a senior in HS and money is tight and im going to college in Santa Barbara (3 hrs away) next year, so i dont wanna spend all the money.

My friend said he can hook me up with a full LS swap with 40k or less miles for 1grand and then the b16head + install and machining will run me under 2grand, and i have a new 1.8L Dohc motor that will pull as hard as the turbo...