Notices

External inline fuel pumps??

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2001, 11:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default External inline fuel pumps??

Already tried the TECH forum but no real answers. I need to get an inline external pump to support some RC 310s into my high compression all motor LSVTEC. Just wondering, if the upgraded external flows more than the stock intank, then wouldn't the upgraded inline pump expend or "burn out" the stock intank pump since the stock pump flows less and will have a hard time to keep up with the upgrade inline?? TIA for the info.

Also, should I just get an upgraded intank fuel pump instead of the external inline? How hard is it to install the intank into a 93 teg? Do I have to drop the whole tank? TIA.
Old 09-17-2001, 03:54 PM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: External inline fuel pumps?? (93B18)

Already tried the TECH forum but no real answers. I need to get an inline external pump to support some RC 310s into my high compression all motor LSVTEC. Just wondering, if the upgraded external flows more than the stock intank, then wouldn't the upgraded inline pump expend or "burn out" the stock intank pump since the stock pump flows less and will have a hard time to keep up with the upgrade inline?? TIA for the info.

Also, should I just get an upgraded intank fuel pump instead of the external inline? How hard is it to install the intank into a 93 teg? Do I have to drop the whole tank? TIA.
You really need that much fuel in an allmotor LSVTEC? Something about that seems extreme to me. At any rate, two different types of fuel pumps. Hi-Pressure, and Hi-Flow. If I'm thinking straight, you need a high-flow pump because you're not raising your fuel pressure, you just need more fuel at stock pressures. Walbro's flow 255lph at 45psi, right around stock FPR demands. You'd just get the intank, drop it in, and be done. You shouldn't have to drop the tank, if it's anything like 4g's then you just take out the back seat and it's right under it, 10 minutes tops.

As to would inline burn out the stock pumps. Burnout, no. But, many people lobby because you have a lower flowing pump on the inlet side of the 2nd pump, you create a pressure drop situation. Frankly, aside with all the mathematical BS I don't think it's a big deal. Pratically what you're doing is taking what the stock pump gives you and accelerating the flow. Some people opt to replace the intank pump with a piece of fuel line, carefully measured. But, I don't think you need to go this route. Usually it's high pressure pumps that do, like when you run turbo.