Notices

was expecting more than 350hp...

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2015, 10:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: was expecting more than 350hp...

Originally Posted by blackeg

is your wastegate vacuum sourced from the manifold or the compressor housing?
I am wondering if you are making 22 psi at the turbo but have a massive leak and only getting 12 psi to the motor?
Old 06-05-2015, 11:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by the_unknown
this man knows his ish and has proven it time and time again. People these days are so quick to put down log manifolds without any real experience. People have been using log manifolds for YEARS, and some manifolds even worse than a simple log (i.e. modified factory manifolds) and have made plenty of power. The simple fact is the car has an issue somewhere. It should make more power with what it has on it now. Find the issue, fix it... then upgrade

We need a like button on HT. who's with me ?
Old 06-05-2015, 11:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by the_unknown
this man knows his ish and has proven it time and time again. People these days are so quick to put down log manifolds without any real experience. People have been using log manifolds for YEARS, and some manifolds even worse than a simple log (i.e. modified factory manifolds) and have made plenty of power. The simple fact is the car has an issue somewhere. It should make more power with what it has on it now. Find the issue, fix it... then upgrade
Agreed. For real street to come out and say he needs better cams kind of blows my mind. Pretty basic **** here.
Old 06-05-2015, 12:52 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by Dark_Teg
I am wondering if you are making 22 psi at the turbo but have a massive leak and only getting 12 psi to the motor?
I'm thinking that there is one somewhere as well. Definitely not from the boost reference source being at the intake manifold vs. the compressor cover. That's in another thread and has been continually beaten to death.. In this case, its not relevant for the symptoms of his issue here.

But he certainly doesn't need to change camshafts for this.
Old 06-05-2015, 03:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Turbo-LS
We need a like button on HT. who's with me ?
Trust me I say the same thing every time I'm here, the one major thing I like about TI a lot better actually.
Old 06-06-2015, 02:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbo-LS
Depending on what log manifold it is you can max that turbo out if it's say inline pro or spa top mount. The lesser logs probably not. It'll take higher pressure ratio due to back pressures as well vs a ramhorn top mount etc
i was going to mention the inline pro manifold but i had a feeling he wasnt running one. we all know its a great performer. the spa is good too, i tuned a built gsr with one and a mid sized precision turbo and it was a great combo.

however, something like a tubular log, or a rev hard with a turbo that big id be worried about reversion and excessive backpressure. id be more worried with larger cams but in this case the gsr cams are making that situation not as bad as it could be but still im sure its a contributing factor.

its not the cams, id still say boost leak is the largest contributing factor.
Old 06-06-2015, 05:14 AM

Leak is the biggest factor..type of manifold I'd minimal at best. You'd only suspect it with an EGT reading, really.

Look to the manifold dead last. But here, it's not the case with a large leak like this sounds..

Leak fix first, the see about parts replacement
Old 06-06-2015, 07:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Going to check.for boost leak in the tomorrow a.m. took it out for a run today and think i lost boost almost completely. A/f ratio went so lean it wouldnt read part of the time too... have to rig up some sort of cap with a nipple and pressurize it...think i saw one made out of pvc maybe... thanks again everyone... didnt expect to get this much help... def appreciated.
Old 06-06-2015, 09:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I can set you up with a emap canister and sensor if all else fails
Old 06-06-2015, 02:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 06-06-2015, 08:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheShodan
Leak is the biggest factor..type of manifold I'd minimal at best. You'd only suspect it with an EGT reading, really.

Look to the manifold dead last. But here, it's not the case with a large leak like this sounds..

Leak fix first, the see about parts replacement
so having a log manifold that is not efficient enough for your build can cause higher egt?
Old 06-06-2015, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by phaphon
so having a log manifold that is not efficient enough for your build can cause higher egt?
Yes. given the right circumstances (like everything else, of course)
Old 06-08-2015, 03:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have recently installed a oil catch can with breathers to decrease my crank case pressure. After installing though, I noticed it doesn't have quite as much pull when accelerating and a little bit into the drive, I noticed my air fuel ratio was much higher (lean I think) than usual, sometimes not even registering on my gauge... Ive tried to do some reading on the subject but not a lot of information particular to my situation. I also checked for leaks, found a couple very small ones, just enough to whistle and make some bubbles, will fix today. Any thoughts on the new issue?
Old 06-08-2015, 04:49 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I suggest you stop driving like brian o connor and have someone who knows what they are actually doing take over from here

If you dont know what is lean or rich then that motor isnt going to last very long
Old 06-08-2015, 04:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

How are you finding the leaks? Have you done a compression/leak-down test?
Old 06-08-2015, 05:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ive done a leak test on the charge pipe/intake but not the engine itself. I have stopped driving it, until i find out the most current issue, but other than that the tuner said it was safe to drive
Old 06-08-2015, 05:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by roll8221
Ive done a leak test on the charge pipe/intake but not the engine itself. I have stopped driving it, until i find out the most current issue, but other than that the tuner said it was safe to drive
I noticed my air fuel ratio was much higher (lean I think) than usual, sometimes not even registering on my gauge...
Based upon this I am going to have to say.....NOT SAFE!
Old 06-08-2015, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by Dark_Teg
Based upon this I am going to have to say.....NOT SAFE!
that, and because the leak is causing the car to get closer into vacuum his management and gauge are not reading as rich as it needs to be. Its a direct correlation.

That's like having someone panic about their gauge reading 15.2AFR for a split second after letting off of the accelerator suddenly and coasting while driving on the highway. Its "lean" because he's not running any fuel to the engine while coasting to an exit ramp. Doesn't mean its so lean that it'll detonate.

He needs a boost leak tester, not just some soap and water to find "bubbles" for the leak.
Old 06-08-2015, 01:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I used a 2.5 inch coupler with a can on one end and the other end connected to the charge pipe right off of the cold side of the turbo. I put a tire valve stem in the end of the can, hooked a pressure regulator behind an air gauge to 20 psi and pressurized the system. found a leak where a sensor is welded into the charge pipe. I used the soapy water to figure out exactly where the leak was coming from because it was hard to locate by ear.
Old 06-08-2015, 01:17 PM

I used a 2.5 inch coupler with a can on one end and the other end connected to the charge pipe right off of the cold side of the turbo. I put a tire valve stem in the end of the can, hooked a pressure regulator behind an air gauge to 20 psi and pressurized the system. found a leak where a sensor is welded into the charge pipe. I used the soapy water to figure out exactly where the leak was coming from because it was hard to locate by ear.
Good start.. there's more around though, I betcha that for the issues you're facing now.
Old 06-08-2015, 01:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I also noticed after some time, some very fine bubbles were coming through the gasket between the throttle body and intake and the bolts securing it but seemed almost insignificant. could a leak that small be a problem?
Old 06-08-2015, 03:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

While those leaks may not be significant, they probably skewed the results of your test, you should disconnect the charge pipe at the throttle body and have that end plugged.

When you pressurize the system with both ends sealed (coupler off turbo/throttle body) your air pressure should hold steady.

A small pinhole leak isnt going to cause this huge boost loss some seem to think your having, to lose 10+psi its going to be a substantial leak/sliced coupler
Old 06-10-2015, 03:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Hell I forgot to cap off the 1/8NPT plug on the compressor housing on my GT28 once and I didn noticed it until I was trapping 10mph slower than normal and AFR's were all over the place.

Last edited by LightningTeg; 06-10-2015 at 08:18 AM.
Old 06-10-2015, 07:31 AM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

It doesn't take a very large air leak to cause problems. You have to remember that injectors are open for only milliseconds at a time, it doesn't take much to throw off the entire tune.
Old 06-11-2015, 06:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Can you post a pic of your wastegate dump?? It looks like you're getting exhaust contamination.

Quick Reply: was expecting more than 350hp...