Notices

Is everyone looking for 500whp+ these days?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2003, 02:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is everyone looking for 500whp+ these days?

It seems to me everyone is after some really big horsepower these days. For those who are trying to accomplish this goal, can I ask why you're doing so?

The average turbo Honda owner doesn't need any more than 300whp before his car becomes dangerous on public streets, especially if he's an inexperienced driver.

I would love to see tons of 500whp+ monster Hondas menacing our highways but what's the point of building such a monster when you can't even use all that power on the street?

Anyone care to share?
Old 05-02-2003, 02:35 PM

Default Re: Is everyone looking for 500whp+ these days? (ben@importparts.com)

cause you gotta hang with the big boys like the supra, rx-7, and those annoying V8's. I don't think V8's are bad, but the people driving them think that our little cars can't move. sure you can beat a lightly modded one with 300whp but what if taht same guy came up next to you with a little more mods then minor bolt ons, say long tubes and a torque converter. lets say these mods were on an LS1. thats a low low 12 second pass, 12.2-12.0. I'm in the process of building a 450+ whp GSR and it will see plenty of street time as well as the track.
Old 05-02-2003, 02:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Is everyone looking for 500whp+ these days? (92JDMSiR)

personally i am only aiming for a MAX of 350 whp. i dont wanna go into all the other headaches of upgrading tranny and axles and all that good stuff. im going broke as it is!
Old 05-02-2003, 02:44 PM

Default Re: Is everyone looking for 500whp+ these days? (92JDMSiR)

i'm shooting for 600hp, my car will probably not have to much street time. But like said before to be quik on the street you need to have big numbers. On the street 500-600hp hatch will be pretty much overkill from a deadstop, but you start running people on a roll and your then contending with some of the big guys. If its ok for v8 guys and bpu++ supra's to run around with huge power then i think a big number hatch can run around.
Old 05-02-2003, 02:44 PM

Default Re: Is everyone looking for 500whp+ these days? (jvithayapun)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jvithayapun &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">personally i am only aiming for a MAX of 350 whp. i dont wanna go into all the other headaches of upgrading tranny and axles and all that good stuff. im going broke as it is! </TD></TR></TABLE>

same with me im already broke from this rebuild
Old 05-02-2003, 02:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with you ben, however i set out for my 450whp goal around 2 years ago. It seems like everyone and their mother who wants turbo wants 400+ to the wheels now. And honestly the 400-500 marker is a lot easier to hit today then it was 3-4 years ago. We can thank technology and engineering for that. Bottom line is this: A 500whp 4cyl honda gives you bragging rights.
Old 05-02-2003, 02:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Because 90% of the people shooting for 500 plus of those little Japanese horses are:

a. Kids that don't realize that they will never have the fastest car on the street
b. People that don't realize how very fast a light little Honda is at 300 horse
c. Both of the above.

I would imagine that if everyone aiming for this goal actually made it, there would be a lot more dead Honda drivers.

Also, you have to worry more about other Hondas than V8s. They can't run slicks on the street, and they typically weigh at least 1000 pounds more than a Honda, so on average you need about 100 horses LESS to beat those guys.
Old 05-02-2003, 02:55 PM

Most people dont realize how fast a 200whp honda is. I just dont know where all the money to make 500whp honda's is coming from?
Old 05-02-2003, 02:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Is everyone looking for 500whp+ these days? (PseudoSilvia)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PseudoSilvia &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
</TD></TR></TABLE>

I completely agree.
Old 05-02-2003, 02:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Is everyone looking for 500whp+ these days? (jvithayapun)

First thing for me is trying to break 250whp at 10 psi, stock lower and compression.

After that I will shoot for more.

I think people go big cause thats what it takes these days... cars are getting faster and faster from the factory.
Old 05-02-2003, 02:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Is everyone looking for 500whp+ these days? (GudeH23a)

well for my motor now i'm just shooting for 250-280. but when built i'll settle for 450 That just because i don't drive a lil hatch and it takes alil more power to get the prelude goin. Plus i wanna be unique. How many high hp turbo preludes do you see on the street or at the track?? Where i'm located i have yet to see a prelude even hit low 13's. It would also be nice to have a little sticker sayin "12 sec club" for my fatty full interior lude.
Old 05-02-2003, 03:03 PM

Default Re: Is everyone looking for 500whp+ these days? (PseudoSilvia)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PseudoSilvia &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Because 90% of the people shooting for 500 plus of those little Japanese horses are:

a. Kids that don't realize that they will never have the fastest car on the street
c. Both of the above.

I would imagine that if everyone aiming for this goal actually made it, there would be a lot more dead Honda drivers.

Also, you have to worry more about other Hondas than V8s. They can't run slicks on the street, and they typically weigh at least 1000 pounds more than a Honda, so on average you need about 100 horses LESS to beat those guys.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Why is everytime somebody talks about building a bg hp car everybody gets all uptight about the situation, but when the car is in a topic check out my 600hp + honda you guys are about to **** ur pants. Is it that hard to build a big hp, No Its just really expensive. I cant read a compressor map does that mean i cant make big hp not really you just have to ask to get help which i did. I personally like stupid crazy fast cars, that my preference. My shop that will opening to the public soon has a 3 crazy cars. My hatch, my buddies 55 chevy with a big block, and the 89 s-10 with a built 350 (500hp, with 500ft of torque) . Our cars are not the fastest on the street, but we enjoy building some crazy cars. Even though it will never hook, just to look and say to yourself you just built something really crazy is priceless. I dont see you guys ripping on MotorMatrix who has 500+hp, i think what he did is cool as hell.
Old 05-02-2003, 03:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Is everyone looking for 500whp+ these days? (dwn-shift)

this is prolly the reason why, basically most boosted hondas are divided in two.
sub 200 ish HP, and high end 400 hp plus..and not too many in between...

so you got a lot of ppl who has 230-270ish HP wanted to go big, since that's the only thing they can really look up to, again becasue not a whole lot of 300 hp ish hondas are there...

but again, everyone wants a 400-500 hp car, but how many actually ahve the deication and the money to do it...

it's not cheap guys, NOT AT ALL...it'll cost you time with the family, friends ( unless all your friends drives boosted hondas ) and a lot of money...
and most guys failed in the money part...

stan

Old 05-02-2003, 03:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Is everyone looking for 500whp+ these days? (Flamenco-T)

I am just going for 350whp. I won't even use that much on the street. I have been in ITR206 Turbo R (310whp) and I would kill myself on the street if I had that much power on hand.

It's true people don't realize how fast a 300whp honda is.
Old 05-02-2003, 03:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Is everyone looking for 500whp+ these days? (dwn-shift)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dwn-shift &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Why is everytime somebody talks about building a bg hp car everybody gets all uptight about the situation, but when the car is in a topic check out my 600hp + honda you guys are about to **** ur pants. Is it that hard to build a big hp, No Its just really expensive. I cant read a compressor map does that mean i cant make big hp not really you just have to ask to get help which i did. I personally like stupid crazy fast cars, that my preference. My shop that will opening to the public soon has a 3 crazy cars. My hatch, my buddies 55 chevy with a big block, and the 89 s-10 with a built 350 (500hp, with 500ft of torque) . Our cars are not the fastest on the street, but we enjoy building some crazy cars. Even though it will never hook, just to look and say to yourself you just built something really crazy is priceless. I dont see you guys ripping on MotorMatrix who has 500+hp, i think what he did is cool as hell.</TD></TR></TABLE>

No one is bashing anyone here. I was curious and asked, everyone else is offering their input. Keep them coming guys!
Old 05-02-2003, 03:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Flamenco-T &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">this is prolly the reason why, basically most boosted hondas are divided in two.
sub 200 ish HP, and high end 400 hp plus..and not too many in between...

it's not cheap guys, NOT AT ALL...it'll cost you time with the family, friends ( unless all your friends drives boosted hondas ) and a lot of money...
and most guys failed in the money part...

stan

</TD></TR></TABLE>

I strongly agree with that, you do lose touch with friends and family...

The reason its so extreme in between, because its going from stock to forgued parts
Old 05-02-2003, 03:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Is everyone looking for 500whp+ these days? (Jordo)

exactly, it's from one extreme to another.

check this, I spent 6 months in LA at my mom's house to build my car, and I was rarely had any time to my family...

it sucks..

stan
Old 05-02-2003, 04:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Between the gearing, horsepower to weight ratio and no traction around 350whp is way to much for the street. The more I pushed in horsepower, the more things have broken down and the less reliable my car became overall. I was making around 300-350whp level on my last set-up on the street, it was way to much at times. I am looking to make 400whp+ on pump gas on my set-up this time, only to prove a goal to myself that it can be done. My daily power level will be 250whp level, then the boost will get turned up when racing in 3-4-5th gears to 400whp+ when the traction becomes available. To everyone that wants 500whp, be prepared to have deep pockets, headaches and chasing a never ending goal of traction.
Old 05-02-2003, 04:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Is everyone looking for 500whp+ these days? (boosted hybrid)

I have to tell all you guys that claim or want to make 600whp. We do that and the life on those parts is not very long. Constant maintenance rebushing rods, changing rings, valve springs, $9 per gallon gas...I don't understand why you would want to go thru a complete rebuild after 10 miles of hard running but that is how you make them live..
Old 05-02-2003, 04:22 PM
Smarter than you

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Im doing 275-290whp on bfg's no issues what so ever in a 2650lb teg(w/ driver) on the street. the car gets traction from any gear on a roll and is pretty fast from a dig too w/ the right luanch. I don't know how a lighter car would compare w/ the same hp but the car was very competitive w/ ur avg. bpu supra, bolt on LS1, midly modded mustang etc.

Ill admit, the first time I felt 290 it felt hella fast but quickly I got used to it and wanted more. hell, if it wasn't for trying to be competitive I could be pretty damn happy with just 300whp. You will never be happy its a never ending cycle.
Old 05-02-2003, 04:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Here's my perspective. To build a RELIABLE 300whp car. You need sleeved block, forged internals, engine management, etc. Most of the parts that you need to build a 300whp is the same components needed to build a 450whp. Yes, there are slight differences to building the 450whp honda such as bigger intercooler, bigger turbo, injectors but, you must realize an intercooler to support 450whp is not much more then an intercooler to support 300whp etc. My goal of 450whp does sound crazy, but of course, street driven on pump gas is probably gonna be around 300whp or so. The max power is just to be used to run some good times at the track. Just my opinion and my personal experiences. Paul
Old 05-02-2003, 04:25 PM
Better than steak

Default Re: Is everyone looking for 500whp+ these days? (Mr. Belding)

This tread brings back memories.... https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=404717
Old 05-02-2003, 04:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I know a few guys that their cars are more strip/street cars rather than street/strip cars. All of the racing organizations encourage it with stret classes. If you want to beat the other guy more power is the easiest way to do it. To get a dohc cam engine over 300 hp these days is not hard at all. There are several readily available turbo kits on the market that have the potential to take you over 400 whp. So i guess the only real reason people want 500 hp is cause they can. You cant have too much of a good thing.
Old 05-02-2003, 04:37 PM
New User

I'm shooting for the big numbers to show my customers what can be done. In reality, I'll likely tune it down to accomplish the majority of my goals anyway, but nothing is more impressive than 250hp+/per liter
Old 05-02-2003, 04:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Is everyone looking for 500whp+ these days? (TurboD16Z6)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TurboD16Z6 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Here's my perspective. To build a RELIABLE 300whp car. You need sleeved block, forged internals, engine management, etc. Most of the parts that you need to build a 300whp is the same components needed to build a 450whp. Yes, there are slight differences to building the 450whp honda such as bigger intercooler, bigger turbo, injectors but, you must realize an intercooler to support 450whp is not much more then an intercooler to support 300whp etc. My goal of 450whp does sound crazy, but of course, street driven on pump gas is probably gonna be around 300whp or so. The max power is just to be used to run some good times at the track. Just my opinion and my personal experiences. Paul</TD></TR></TABLE>

Quick Reply: Is everyone looking for 500whp+ these days?