Notices

erl superdeck II

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2006, 09:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default erl superdeck II

hey guys i tried to search but i cant come up with any results, I just started my build on my 95 B16 for my 97 hatch, i dropped the block off to have sent out to erl for the superdeck II, and i guess what i'm looking for are real world accounts of how well these things hold up, i haven't been able to find any cons to doing this, what are some real world pros and cons people who have actually gone this route.

thanks for your time

i wanna know the good the bad and the ugly
Old 03-05-2006, 09:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: erl superdeck II (turbofunvtec)

we run the superdeck 2 in our shop car and im putting one in my si also we have never had a single problem with it last season reving to 9500 with a t3 t67 on 20psi, it was fine on the street and track weve sold quite a few other erl blocks as were a dealer and have had 0 problems out of any of them.
Old 03-05-2006, 11:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: erl superdeck II (Slow00si)

We also run the superdeck2 in our shop car. No problem with that nice peace of metal :-)
Old 03-05-2006, 11:31 AM

i just read through a thread from Full Race about it making 700 Horsepower. My goal is a mere 550-600. i'm getting pretty excited i'm glad i finally decided to stop trying to do things cheap and go the correct route of doing things. I leterally cant find 1 bad word about the ERL superdeck II. I'm not a shop or anything so money is hard to come by for the build but i have a goal of next summer have the car out and running at the track. what kind of times are these guys seeing with these blocks and at what boost level?
Old 03-06-2006, 05:09 PM

anyone else have any input on this erl?
Old 03-10-2006, 05:55 AM

Default Re: (turbofunvtec)

why not just run your block with forged pistons and rods
i made 615whp on stock bore b16
it was sleeved though
you can make your goal no problem on stock sleeves
Old 03-10-2006, 06:37 AM

Default Re: (jdmturbosol)

Many many of the cars that I tune were done with the ERL sleeving process, alot of them using the Superdeck 2 design.. Never once have I heard or seen a problem with them and these are all 500+ whp engines..

ERL
Superdeck
Old 03-10-2006, 06:45 AM

Default Re: (jdmturbosol)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jdmturbosol &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">why not just run your block with forged pistons and rods
i made 615whp on stock bore b16
it was sleeved though
you can make your goal no problem on stock sleeves
</TD></TR></TABLE>

i thought about that too but mythought process was if i can spend a little bit more now i wont be running my engine on the edge all the time, plus i'll have a cushion for making more power wich i'm sure i will do eventually. I want this thing to be safe at this kind of power and with the superdeck II I have the potential to go really big if i wanted to,

I'm glad to hear all the good stuff about ERL thanks again guys
Old 03-10-2006, 07:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I looked at it, but the price for the full package (including block girdle) was going to be too close to the price of a new Dart block, so I sold my old short block for a few $ and applied it to a new Dart block.
Old 03-10-2006, 09:56 AM

Default Re: (rmcdaniels)

i looked at that too, but i wanted the sleeper deal too, now if i ever need to pop my hood its just a b16
Old 03-10-2006, 10:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It's pretty hard to miss the deckplate they put on the Superdeck II blocks.

I just shaved the badge off an old B16 with a cutting wheel and JB Welded it to my Dart block
Old 03-10-2006, 10:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i'll tell you my tale of my ERL superdeck II and thier outstanding customer service.

I had purchased a block from ERL that was a B16 superdeck II with the 5pt girdle with 84mm CP pistons, manley rods. ERL assembled the block and delivered this to me:

Around Feb. 13th or so, i got my car back from the paint booth and put things together.

dropped it in the car:

and then Feb 21st after finishing up everything we started the car for the first time. I loaded in the map from the previous year, knowing it would be a bit lean but should still start up fine. after cold cranking to bring oil pressure up and feed the turbo, we plugged eveyrthing and started it.

Instantly we had a massive oil leak pouring from the back of the block. we removed the intake manifold and cold cranked and saw oil coming out between the block and deckplate under the oil restrictor. I was sick to my stomach, but left a message with Sean @ ERL. Next day, i get a call, since i'm local, he overed to send a tech out and pull the deckplate and replace the gasket and the old sealent they used to us along with bringing a new cometic gasket out or we could send them the block to fix it. We opted for option 1, which meant we pulled the head off the car and the tech removed the deckplate on site:

Block as of Feb. 22nd 8pm

car as of Feb. 23rd 8pm

As of the next day, after i went to work for 8hrs, the car was started without any leaks...well i have a slight leak from the MSD dizzy, but not block related.

From hearing about my problem, ERL was quick to fix the problem and had found that they needed to change the sealant they use between the deckplate & block, there is a custom cometic gasket, but they also use a sealant. My car has around 60 miles on it currently, as i'm still breaking it in, but its at home just waiting for some parts to finish the nitrous setup.

Sean said that I was the 3rd instance ever of a deckplate failure and it was due to sealant, so I would say without a doubt that the customer service is there and they have changed thier process to fix the situation.

I wouldn't worry about any issues though, while they are extremely busy, they do thier best to help out everyone, so where my situation was, i want this car running for a car show, they came to my aid, drove to my house and helped. that's just something most people would just say, ship me the block on monday, but at 8pm on a wednesday they were there for me.
Old 03-10-2006, 12:02 PM

I talked with Sean Regains at ERL and he told me that they dond sell complete shortblocks. Damn he must have been looking out for his vendor, I was hoping to save a few bucks buying direct fom them.
Old 03-10-2006, 12:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turbofunvtec &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I talked with Sean Regains at ERL and he told me that they dond sell complete shortblocks. Damn he must have been looking out for his vendor, I was hoping to save a few bucks buying direct fom them.</TD></TR></TABLE>

That must be something recent, they offered to sell me an assembled short block a few months ago.
Old 03-10-2006, 12:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

it just depends on what they have in stock, i sold them my old GSR block for them to sell.

i bought the b16 block from an employee there and then had them install everything along buying the pistons & rods/bearings from them.

Old 03-10-2006, 01:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (seen4ever)

Tell me about deck plate! How high(tick) is it? How they compensate full high of block. They grind from block some material?
Old 03-10-2006, 01:14 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rmcdaniels &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

That must be something recent, they offered to sell me an assembled short block a few months ago.</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah this was just afew weeks ago,

and seen4ever, nice car clean. hurry up and break it in I want some numbers on it
Old 03-10-2006, 08:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if it doens't hit 700 with nitrous, i'm burning it to the ground.

b16 superdeck II is same deck height as b18c/b/a. so i used GSR crank/rods/pistons.
Old 03-10-2006, 11:54 PM

I did measurement a year ago on B16 block. With LS crank and rods. The pistons go out of block for about ~8 mm.

This plate for B16 block if you want bigger displacement. I gues!

How dose it work against leaks between block and this plate?

Edit!

I find all info at ERL page.

How dose this plate cost? PM me.

Modified by Root79 at 11:32 PM 3/11/2006
Old 03-11-2006, 05:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Root79)

ERL is top notch! I drove my parts down and met with Sean... he took plenty of time and showed me the entire facility. You can't go wrong with ERL, quality and customer service are unbeatable.
Old 03-11-2006, 07:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 03-11-2006, 07:15 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by seen4ever &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if it doens't hit 700 with nitrous, i'm burning it to the ground.

b16 superdeck II is same deck height as b18c/b/a. so i used GSR crank/rods/pistons.</TD></TR></TABLE>

same set up i'm giong with, JE pistons stock GSR crank with the ERL girtle, and crower rods.
Old 03-13-2006, 09:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Root79 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Tell me about deck plate! How high(tick) is it? How they compensate full high of block. They grind from block some material? </TD></TR></TABLE>

The deckplate will bring up the deck height of the B16 to the stock height of the B18's. They use a custom cometic gasket in between the plate and block. Only material removed from block is to make a home for the plate.
Best of all......there's no extra cost for the plate, its included with the sleeving. Almost a no brainer!!

We've had ERL do a deckplated B18 for one of our Hotrod guys. Put a stroker carnk in it and make it close to a 2.2L

If anyone else would like further information you can contact me at dan@fsmoto.com We are one of ERL's longest standing authorized dealers here on HT and have had them do MANY blocks for us and our customers.

Modified by 93LSivic at 3:19 AM 3/16/2006
Old 03-14-2006, 02:03 PM

Default Re: (93LSivic)

^Thanks