Notices

Engine sputtering bad and hesitating under load

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2005, 10:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Engine sputtering bad and hesitating under load

Pulled the wire off plug #4 and found the plug chase full of coolant. Head gasket I presume?? I'm pullin the head tomorrow to check it out, hopefully nothing is bent/cracked.

What should I do if I get coolant in the cylanders when I pull the head? Wipe it out and WD-40?
Old 05-07-2005, 10:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Engine sputtering bad and hesitating under load (Dr Pooface)

y dont u do a leak down test first? also yeah just use a paper towel to suck it up
Old 05-08-2005, 07:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Dr Pooface &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Pulled the wire off plug #4 and found the plug chase full of coolant. Head gasket I presume?? I'm pullin the head tomorrow to check it out, hopefully nothing is bent/cracked</TD></TR></TABLE>

Shitty. Hopefully not a cracked cylinder or anything like that.

What's a spark plug chase? The white insulator around the center electrode? Or are you talking about something else?

Old 05-09-2005, 05:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Engine sputtering bad and hesitating under load (Chris F)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Chris F &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> Shitty. Hopefully not a cracked cylinder or anything like that.

What's a spark plug chase? The white insulator around the center electrode? Or are you talking about something else?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thats the only thing I could think to name the "cylander you slide the spark plug down when you goi to install it"

The teardown begins wednesday. I get to do it in my appartments underground parking garage
Old 05-09-2005, 06:55 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Dr Pooface &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Thats the only thing I could think to name the "cylander you slide the spark plug down when you goi to install it"</TD></TR></TABLE>

So, the coolant was actually OUTSIDE the cylinder, and not inside it? Any chance you're looking at rain water or spilled coolant? Where did the coolant come from?

At least you're not outside working on this in the sun and rain. Do you have any power in your garage at least?

-Chris

Old 05-14-2005, 06:42 AM

Any luck?
Old 05-14-2005, 08:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Chris F &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Any luck?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I've meditated on it for a few, and now I remember that about 2 weeks before I had the problem I washed the engine bay, so maybe the "coolant" that I saw in there was just water from washing, and the missing and hesitation was from the water shorting the plug out. I wonder why it took so long to go bad.....?

Now I don't know what to do. I'd hate to pull the head for nothing. Maybe I"ll just clean it up, change the plugs, and see if she runs. Whats the worst thing that could happen? *snikker*
Old 05-14-2005, 10:03 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Dr Pooface &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Now I don't know what to do. I'd hate to pull the head for nothing. Maybe I"ll just clean it up, change the plugs, and see if she runs. Whats the worst thing that could happen? *snikker*</TD></TR></TABLE>

The worst thing? hahahaha...

Yeah, I don't see how coolant could get in there. I'm gonna bet that was your issue.

Anyhow, light 'em up!