Notices

engine problems.. help!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2007, 06:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine problems.. help!!

I'm wondering if you all may be able to help me out with finding whats wrong with my engine. its a long story lol. Last week the car was tuned on 11 psi on 93 and ran great. The plugs were straight white though, which I thought was odd. It seemed to be a little lean to me. I have a pic of them if you want to see them. Today the car was supposed to get tuned again for the correct boost levels. I got bits and pieces of the story since i wasn't there but heres what was said. The tuner was supposed to be tuning the car on pump gas for 17 psi on the way to the dyno. The boost controller was set at 11 psi when it left my house and the car ran perfect. Evidently he didn't know that one turn on the hks/ turbonetics maual controllers equals about 3 psi. So they were driving the car to tune it and spiked the boost to somewhere around 21 psi. Then they pulled over and the car was smoking badly out the tail pipe. They smoke then stoped and the car ran ok and compression check out ok. So then they get to the dyno and decide they are going to tune the 93 on the dyno some more, even though the dyno time was supposed to be for 112 race gas tune. The tune the car for 14 psi on the dyno and durning one of the pulls the car shuts off at 7k rpm and does not want to restart. He reloads the basemap and the car then starts but its running bad and it won't barely idle. I'm not sure if the gas was low in the car when they dynoed it or not. The car made 270 hp on one of the pulls before he left with the boost spiking to 17 psi. Also while it was on the dyno they decide to unbolt my wastegate dump tube for some reason. They felt they could not strap down the car anywhere else besides where the dump tube was dumping right at the bottom of the oil pan. They then unstrap the car and decide to bring it back home which is 1.5 hrs from the dyno. On the way there the car ran the correct temp which was around 170. On the way home the car will not run the right temp and won't go below 190. The car gets back here and the tuner plays with it some more to try to get it to idle somewhat but the air fuels are all over the place and its barely idleing. So now I have the car back. Heres what i have done so far to find out whats wrong. I checks the compression and heres how it came out.

Pass. side 175 178 180 180 driver side

I also check the gauge and each cylinder pumped up to about 110-120 after the first stroke. I then checked the vacuume and its pulling a steady 20psi and fluctuating about 1 psi, mostly due to the cam i think. When I take off the oil fill cap, a lot of smoke comes out of there. It did not due that before it left today. If you put your hand over the oil fill holes, there is a noticable pressure in the valve cover. It almost feels like exhaust coming out the pipe. I'm guessing the problem has something to do with this. What could be causing this? Any other checks I should do? Leak down test?

Here is the set up:
d16y8 shortblock - stock bore, Crower rods, SRP pistons(9.0:1), Block gaurd, Balanced rotating assembly, z6 oil pump, etc
-cometic 0.074" head gasket
-arp studs
-d16z6 head - ported, zex 59300 cam, upgraded springs, retainers, locks, adj. timing gear
-sc61 turbo and top mount manifold
-1000cc injectors
-upgraded 255 fuel pump

Thanks in advance for any advice you have.
Old 01-13-2007, 11:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: engine problems.. help!! (wantasol)

anyone?
Old 01-13-2007, 02:50 PM

Does the smoke smell like fuel?

Compression seems okay, but sounds like ringlands or rings, etc. Do a leakdown test and report back with numbers.

Old 01-13-2007, 04:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: engine problems.. help!! (F20Cteg)

I'll have to check the smell. I'm picking up a leakdown tester tomorrow and will let you know how that turns out. Thanks for the help
Old 01-13-2007, 09:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well the leakdown test was horrible. When the cylinders were pressurized it went strait out of them and into the valve cover/ crank area. Heads off it now and i'll update you tomorrow. I have pictures and all but don't feel like messing with it at this moment