Notices

Engine heat....

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2001, 05:28 AM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine heat....

Sup fellas, I wanted to ask the question as far as heat retainess on the engine and the effects. Lately I notice when I drive my car for about the first 20 minutes it feels smooth and great, AND then it happens . Stars to feel slightly slugish but on top of that I sometimes stall a little in the low rpms say around 2k or 3k example: If I slam the gas it stalls quickly, then boom it's like a sling shot, but then again I am thinking if my engine gets to drowned up in fuel due to the fact I knew I was running really rich when I dynoed from 4k up to 7k, I beleive it was measuring around 10:1 on the air fuel ratio from the wideband. The setup at that time was greddy kit at 7.8 psi 2.5" fabricated dp, and hks hyper (crappy 2.1") using the FCU (blue box). Since then I was hoping to lean out the mixture with the addition of the 3" exhaust which I did this past weekend and the car feels alot better with a definite power gain, but still tends to feel boggy after a bit of driving. My fuel pressure at idle is 44 psi(not sure if good or not). But to put in simple form do you gys think it's a possiblity with the engine and heat soak or my fuel consumption in the engine is just overbearing that it gets so rich it gets to be sluggish ? Sorry if the post was any bit confusing or to in depth but just want to get all the details in.. Peace

Nick

[Modified by boost killz, 6:32 AM 12/13/2001]
Old 12-13-2001, 07:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Engine heat.... (boost killz)

Ignition coil too close to hot components???????????????? happens to VW's a lot, try relocating to cooler place or replace with another for testing.
Old 12-13-2001, 09:59 AM
New User

Default Re: Engine heat.... (rtype11)

Anyone else with a possible opinion. Thanks,

Nick
Old 12-13-2001, 01:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Engine heat.... (boost killz)

nick ..
give us more info.
like did your lower the static engine compression?
have you checked your spark plug condition?
what kind of spark plugs you use?
is you check eng. light on and what code does it say?
sometimes the problem can be solve as easy by checking your base idle and adjust it if out of spec. if this doesn't solve it. try doing a compression test.
the compression test will give you an idea how well the engine is sealing. if one or more cyl. is low on comp. then do the most accurate test. a leak down test will point you where the problem is. such as low compression due to sticking, burnt or even bent valves, blown head gasket, worn cylinder lining, worn piston rings or even crack ring lands...
so you need to be specific with your question and give us more information......
Old 12-13-2001, 03:21 PM
New User

Default Re: Engine heat.... (jjgotboost)

Engine internals are completely stock. Spark plugs are grayish tan (good) , spark plugs I use are NGK BKR7e-11, engine light is on and codes I got are 71-74( thanks to lue box ****) and 67 due to removing the cat. Compression just did 2 days ago and measuring 210 210 210 and 215. I am pretty aware of the cars specifics, but curious as to this problem just simply to engine temperature or to rich. One thing Rtype mentioned was the coil and heat and last time I was replacing the rotor I stripped the POS screw holding it in place in then trying to get it off lets say I got pissed and ripped off the plastic cover which I believe is used for keeping the heat isolated away from the coil and once I replaced it I never placed a new covr and is starting to make me wonder if that the problem, but JJ I think I was pretty specific on possible causes as a whole paragraph can be. Thanks dude,

Nick