Notices

Engine has LOTS of blowby????

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2003, 03:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine has LOTS of blowby????

my car is boosted at 6.5 psi , 12:1 fmu, tial wastegate, fuel pressure sees about 128psi sometimes, anyways , my car is losing some oil and at high rpm and hard acceleration after awhile it starts to blow smoke. today i was racing around and floored it in 3rd gear and got into 4th and then i could see smoke coming through the heater vent and i got to a stop and i could see it coming out the right side of the hood, car runs really good though.

I got home and opened the hood, and i keep noticing that im seeing more oil spots, like there is some right by the hood clamp thing. and in front of the engine on the block, its kinda like all the oil is greasy. is it possible that it could just be coming out of my wastegate? cause there is a spot to put a screw there but i didnt use it cause it puts a hole through the hood. THANKS
Old 04-16-2003, 04:54 PM

Default Re: Engine has LOTS of blowby???? (T3T495GSR)

do compression check man
Old 04-16-2003, 05:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Its probably coming from the dipstick....this indicates excess crankcase pressure...I would check the PCV valve before anything.
Old 04-16-2003, 05:19 PM

Default Re: Engine has LOTS of blowby???? (MiraiZ)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MiraiZ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Its probably coming from the dipstick....this indicates excess crankcase pressure...I would check the PCV valve before anything.</TD></TR></TABLE>

So I have a question, I have my car off the road right now due to the fact that I think the ring lands are cracked, but I noticed today that when I pulled out the dipstick the smoking stopped coming out of the breather valve...so is their anything else that could be going on?? The car still runs great....
Old 04-16-2003, 05:43 PM

get new one son
Old 04-16-2003, 06:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Engine has LOTS of blowby???? (civicqm)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civicqm &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

So I have a question, I have my car off the road right now due to the fact that I think the ring lands are cracked, but I noticed today that when I pulled out the dipstick the smoking stopped coming out of the breather valve...so is their anything else that could be going on?? The car still runs great....</TD></TR></TABLE>

Nope..that's a typical symtom of blowby...when you pull the dipstick the pressure is just finding another means of escape. At the end of the day, you will need to replace those rings.

I have tried this product called CD2 stop oil burn or stop smoke (or something like that -search for one of my old posts) which will temporarily stop excess burning and smoking...but it lasted only 2 days for me. Its only meant for "worn" rings as opposed to cracked ones.
Old 04-16-2003, 06:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

cool
Old 04-16-2003, 06:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Engine has LOTS of blowby???? (hatchling)

here is a link to my old post...again ...make sure its nothing silly like your PCV valve....use this as a TEMPORARY solution...like to drive to the parts store to prepaare for a rebuild....don't use this this as a permanant fix or it can do even more damage than good.

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=347130
Old 04-16-2003, 07:01 PM
qqqq

i am having this same problem and i am just about to put my turbo on. so how do i find wich ring it is and if i change the rings i should be ok?
Old 04-16-2003, 07:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Engine has LOTS of blowby???? (babyboib16)

first ...don't put the turbo on!

Second ...do a compression test.

Third, if you have bad rings...rebuid the engine completely first, a turbo on a bad engine isn't gonna help the engine any.

EDIT..you'l need to rehone, and posibly replce the pistons depending on how bad they are...go forged either way...save you a lot of pain in the future
Old 04-16-2003, 07:21 PM
qqqq

the pistons are forged at 9:1 with crower rods. the engine has mabey 500 miles on it since they were put in and had 100 shoot ran through it 4 times since the rebuild. do i need to rebuild again?
Old 04-16-2003, 07:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

holy **** dude...haven't you ever heard of "break in"...for your sake, I hope you didn't blow your engine, cause it sounds as if you've spent a lot of time and money on it already....before you do anything else...CHECK YOUR COMPRESSION...at only 500 miles on the new pistons, you might not be seated properly...
Old 04-16-2003, 07:29 PM
qqqq

ok what if i do the compression check and it is ok? what if the rings did not seat right then where will i have to go from there?
Old 04-16-2003, 07:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by babyboib16 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the pistons are forged at 9:1 with crower rods. the engine has mabey 500 miles on it since they were put in and had 100 shoot ran through it 4 times since the rebuild. do i need to rebuild again?</TD></TR></TABLE>

were you doing this to break it in ?
Old 04-16-2003, 07:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You can do one of two things..

1. Pull the head and inspect the rings and pistons for damage;replace if it is and break in PROPERLY.

2. Start break in now!! (pray that its not too late). Drive carefully for the next 500+ miles (no boost and NO NITROUS!!)...and hope its just your rings becoming unseated. Don't rev past 4000 for the next 200 miles or so and increase 500rpms for ever 100 miles you put on it...no highway driving!
Old 04-16-2003, 07:38 PM
qqqq

man now you got me scared as hell.
Old 04-16-2003, 07:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by babyboib16 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">man now you got me scared as hell.</TD></TR></TABLE>

umm..don't wanna scare you anymore...but YOU SHOULD BE SCARED ...not breaking in your engine is just asking for another rebuild....just take it easy and hope its okay...No more nitrous and no more boosting! Stay off the highway and keep it below 4000rpms...do this for about the next 500 or 600 miles and you might be okay! Drive it like you're out of gas!
Old 04-16-2003, 07:49 PM
qqqq

i dont drive the car though. it is just for racing. when i pull the head off will i be able to see the rings or will i have to pull the pistons out?
Old 04-16-2003, 07:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you'll need to pull the pistons to see the rings...the best thing you can do is a compression or leak down test...that will tell you if you rings have sealed or not. takes only 10 minutes for the entire process and you'll only have to remove yourspark plugs.

Not to be ragging on you dude. a car used JUST for racing is usually rebuilt often, so people don't really care about break in on those cars.
Old 04-16-2003, 07:58 PM

ok compression is 220 220 220 220, dipstick is kinda fried cause of the bolt on teh drag manifold , it wont fit, so its hard to see where the oil is at, any other suggestions? car doesnt lose any power
Old 04-16-2003, 08:01 PM
qqqq

yea but i am no big name drag racer and yea i know stuff breaks but it is just pissing me off that now i am going to have to rebuild the engine right as i was going to put my turbo kit on.
Old 04-16-2003, 08:05 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by babyboib16 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yea but i am no big name drag racer and yea i know stuff breaks but it is just pissing me off that now i am going to have to rebuild the engine right as i was going to put my turbo kit on.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

START your OWN post, im trying to get mine answered, THANKS
Old 04-16-2003, 08:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by T3T495GSR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok compression is 220 220 220 220, dipstick is kinda fried cause of the bolt on teh drag manifold , it wont fit, so its hard to see where the oil is at, any other suggestions? car doesnt lose any power
</TD></TR></TABLE>

okay...at least least you know your compression is okay...

Next is to check for headgasket leaks....look in your coolant for oil droplets ...like wise with coolant on the oil cap...if you see pastey sustance on the cap, that is a sign that your head gasket is leaking...

but before I do all that...check the PCV valve...
Old 04-16-2003, 08:51 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MiraiZ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Nope..that's a typical symtom of blowby...when you pull the dipstick the pressure is just finding another means of escape. At the end of the day, you will need to replace those rings.

I have tried this product called CD2 stop oil burn or stop smoke (or something like that -search for one of my old posts) which will temporarily stop excess burning and smoking...but it lasted only 2 days for me. Its only meant for "worn" rings as opposed to cracked ones.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks man, my car is currently off the road, so it is not an issue, but I do start it every now and then just to get some oil flowing through it. I am doing a full rebuild so I will not have to worry about this happening again. Thanks for taking time to reply.......
Old 04-16-2003, 09:01 PM

One other thing....Is it possible that the PCV Valve is causing blow by?? If I want to check this on a 99 Si how will I know that it is bad? I know where it is at, but I am not sure of hwo to see if it is bad, and also if it is what is causing my problems...Thanks

Quick Reply: Engine has LOTS of blowby????