Notices

Engine cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2002, 08:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine cleaning

My engine bay is nasty, simply disgusting. It needs to be cleaned. Have any of you ever had your engine bay steam cleaned. A friend of mine said he saw a car that had this done and it looked like new under the hood. I would do it by hand, but there is just too much **** under there. Is steam cleaning ok if you have a turbo? Are there speacial precautions to take? .....does anyone have any before and after pics?? Thanks alot - Matt
Old 04-17-2002, 08:55 PM
New User

Default Re: Engine cleaning (SlowB16)

dude, i always wondered that too. i think if i steam clean it... something will ***** up.
Old 04-17-2002, 08:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Engine cleaning (dlplayboy)

Me too, I am scared. Someone has to have tried it though. I dont think there is anything to worry about, as long as the filter is covered, the fuse box, and if they steer away from the dist cap it should be ok. Im still nervous though.
Old 04-17-2002, 09:18 PM
New User

I am wondering the exact same thing as well. I need to get my engine bay cleaned.
Old 04-17-2002, 09:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Engine cleaning (SilverLudeSi)

me too!
Old 04-17-2002, 09:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Engine cleaning (ILOVEGIRLS)

I've steamed cleaned my bay before....it makes it look clean for a while but then it seems to get dirty quicker.....don't forget to cover the spark plug cover and distributor when you do it!
Old 04-17-2002, 09:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Engine cleaning (MiraiZ)

if you're running an open loop wastegate, what's the point ?
Old 04-17-2002, 10:02 PM

Default Re: Engine cleaning (MiraiZ)

I've kind of steam cleaned. Get engine degreaser and spray it on. Let it sit for a couple of minutes till it starts to (evaporate). Then what you do is get an adjustable stream nozzle for a garden hose. Leave the engine run and use a pretty strong stram. Not the strongest. Mine has a cone spray on it. That's what I use. When you go around things like the alternator, distributer, fuse box etc. put it on a lighter stream and take it easy. Don't blast around these areas. Make sure you leave the motor run so the water evaporates. Remember, you car goes through this anyway if you drive in the rain. Other wise just get some Armorall and clean it like your interior.
Old 04-17-2002, 10:19 PM

Default Re: Engine cleaning

When i use to work at a BMW dealer, we had a 4th gen lude trade in and it needed a full detail. They told us just to spray the crap outta the engine compartment.....so we did just that. First we loaded it up with degreaser and let it sit for a second.....then we took the hose and full blast sprayed the ship out of it until it was pretty looking. Then we let it sit for a second and then we started it up....no problems. Of coursem i have a 4th gen lude, but im afraid to do this in fear of doing something bad.
Old 04-17-2002, 11:01 PM
New User

Default Re: Engine cleaning (H23ludedude)

im a professional detailer. the only thing u have to cover is the filter.. everything else is fine... get some all purpose(works better then degreaser) spray it on the entire motor bay let it sit for a sec and don't use a garden hose use a pressure washer cause a pressure washer has air that comes out also so its safe on the alternator. and u will have no problems
Old 04-17-2002, 11:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Engine cleaning (H23ludedude)

Yeah I have heard that as well, just to spray the shtish out of the engine bay. My friend has done it to every car he has owned. No problems. **** it, I am going to do it. I am running open loop right now, but I think I will just get some sort of hose to run out of the wheel well or something to stop the dirt from building up.

So you can spray everything right? Except the dist , plugs, fuse box...etc.... All the hoses and everything else, that is all ok to get wet?
Old 04-17-2002, 11:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Engine cleaning (tsjag17)

Is simple green ok?? I purchased some tonight
Old 04-17-2002, 11:06 PM
New User

wow, I've heard totally different. I was told (actually read somewhere on some board) that you shouldn't steam clean the engine. Especially since most of the engines are dominated with electronic gizmos of all sorts. Alot of people have done it and claim it does no harm... but its not 100% without fault. I'd rather not take the chance.

Perhaps with an older car where the connector seals are getting hard and loose, it wouldn't be recommended. Also perhaps newer cars are less susceptible(sp?) to that kind of water torture.

Personally, I use my old socks, brake cleaner, and my old interplak mechanical toothbrush to get the tight spots.

[Modified by Pritos, 12:08 AM 4/18/2002]
Old 04-17-2002, 11:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Engine cleaning (Pritos)

I think the electronics should not be a problem. Most of the stuff is covered up anyways. And even if you get electronic stuff wet you can just let it dry out and it will work fine. Im doing it damn it, enough with the ugly engine bay.
Old 04-17-2002, 11:54 PM
Dee
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Water in the alternator will be OK but do not get any type of engine cleaner in the alternator because you will have a BBQ on your hands. A couple years ago I fried the Alt on my CRX SiR because I got a little over zealous with the Citrus cleaner before breaking out the pressure washer. Needless to say my Lil' Crx died on me as I driving my honey home about an hour later.
Old 04-17-2002, 11:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

make sure you dont get any water in the compressor side of your turbo. If you have a filter on the turbo, then you will be ok be safe, cover up any aftermarket electronics you have under your engine, such as pressure sensors or actuator valves for boost controllers. water can f these things up. if something looks like water might hurt it, then dont get water on it. as far as a degreaser, use simple green, it is the BEST. and i woudlnt recommend using armor all under your hood, it just attracts dirt and leaves everything with a yucky filmy surface.
Old 04-18-2002, 12:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Engine cleaning (GudeH23a)

you usually cover up your fuse box, battery, alternator, and distributor. then use simple green and a toothbrush on really caked on dirt. then rinse then just buy a degreaser made for electronics (alternator) and spray away.
Old 04-18-2002, 12:18 AM

I steam clean my engine all the time..but not turbocharged yet..but just cover dist, filter, wastegate, and turbo,...i would recommend cleaning the snail and wastegate by hand...just make sure that the engine is cold and wrap things i said in like a plastic bag...don't steam clean after driving..you might crack ur block due to temperature drop as you spay cold water on it...i used to work at Mercedes and i didn't have to worry much about temp drop becuase the pressure washer was heated (Steam cleaner)...
Old 04-18-2002, 05:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Engine cleaning (R-1303)

i take like 4 cans of brake parts cleaner and spray everything, just not the exposed cam gears or timing belt. then I use simple green which eats all the grease, and rinse.
Old 04-18-2002, 05:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Engine cleaning (rtype11)

ok what about cloth seats? ive cleaned my back ones but it looks like the front seat covers can be taken off and washed. anyone try this ?

should i just take the dam seats out and pressure wash the heck out of them......what type of stuff would i use......TIDE?

[Modified by int3gra, 9:34 AM 4/18/2002]
Old 04-18-2002, 07:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Engine cleaning (int3gra)

I have sprayed the **** out of my engine before...no precautions and it worked fine. I used some GUNK degreaser and after it set just sprayed away. If you can do it at one of those self serve car washes where they provide a pressure washer. If you don't you will have a huge stain on your driveway from all the grease that will come off. First time I cleaned my engine I did it at my moms house she wasn't too happy...but my engine was clean.
Old 04-18-2002, 07:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Engine cleaning (int3gra)

ok what about cloth seats? ive cleaned my back ones but it looks like the front seat covers can be taken off and washed. anyone try this ?

should i just take the dam seats out and pressure wash the heck out of them......what type of stuff would i use......TIDE?

[Modified by int3gra, 9:34 AM 4/18/2002]
Call your local carpet cleaner, most will do car interiors and not charge too much ($30) especially if you come to them. They will use professional equipment much more powerful than steam cleaners you can buy at walmart.
Old 04-18-2002, 07:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You should be fine following all the other suggestions. I used to detail cars and the only problems with hondas is that water can collect in the spark plug holes. Always leave the car running and if it runs bad after you wash it take the plug boots out and use compressed air to get the water out.
Old 04-18-2002, 07:37 AM

no one's mentioned Simple Green... safe and nontoxic, also i take a bucket and pour water over the engine just in case(no pressure) to rinse, scrub on simple green with "wok" brush
Old 04-18-2002, 07:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Engine cleaning (bmm89)

i cleaned my whole bay by hand and lots of rags when i got the 94 gsr. Just set aside a day for it. I used this bathroom cleaner called soft scrub and wd40 which worked really well.

Quick Reply: Engine cleaning