Notices

EMS Install...

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2002, 10:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EMS Install...

Well after a couple hours and more than a few beers I'm happy to say that the thing idles away with the 720's

After much deliberation I decided to swap out my hondata which was working pretty well and try the EMS...why I don't know, just though it'd be fun in a demented sort of way. After reading all the reviews and getting one in my hands it was too hard to resist trying it!

It's late but now that I've messed with them both here's some insight, feel free to comment:
PROS:
-_TONS_ of options. This thing has an option for everything.
-instant updates...yeah, emulating is nice but it's pretty cool not having to burn a chip when done
-no adapter harness

CONS:
-_TONS_ of options. This thing can be overwhelming.
-No printed manual, WTF? For the amount it cost and it has 2 photocopied papers and a cd thrown in with the ecu, two AEM stickers, and a radio-shack-special serial cable.
-crappy instructions...it seems to detail the basics to death but then gloss over the setup and configuration. You need to jump from PDF to PDF in order to figure out the finer details and even then can be left somewhat bewildered.
-junk base maps. Not much more to say than that...for a system that is offered as "Plug-and-Play" for so many separate apps there certainly aren't many distinct maps. By my count the same Vtec(B Series) map is used in 15 different apps from my preludes h22 to a cl's j30 to a del slow's d16?! It took some liberal changes to the fuel and timing maps to get me idling and even then starting wasn't a pretty site.

Overall I'd say that it's a solid system, it does have it's flaws but it's the new kid on the block so that's understandable. I'd like to see some massive attention to sorting out the instructions (including using spell check...) and a larger library of base maps (which will develop with time). I think that the hondata might stay in the civic and the 'lude will keep the AEM...at least for now.

I'll give it out of a possible

--Ian

[Modified by clendaniel, 2:24 AM 3/15/2002]
Old 03-15-2002, 06:30 AM

Default Re: EMS Install... (clendaniel)

so for someone who is getting their 1st standalone system (myself included) would you recommend the EMS or the hondata 4B with data logger?
Old 03-15-2002, 07:05 AM

Default Re: EMS Install... (93B17A)

I've got some 720's as well with the ems. If I can't get that system started today i'll be calling you
Old 03-15-2002, 08:54 AM

Default Re: EMS Install... (93B17A)

I think the hondata's a little easier to use, honestly. I was able to get the car up and running and semi-tuned in much less time than it took me to get the car _started_ with the AEM. I'd attribute it mostly to my familiarity with the hondata system and the lacking maps of the AEM. I think that AEM's got a killer on their hands but they need to refine a few things before it's as straightforward as the hondata. If you want a standalone to tune and leave alone and all you need is the functionality of an OEM ecu then it's hondata hands down in my mind, but if you are a tweaker and need more options the AEM is promising.

--Ian