Notices

Electrochager from .....

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2004, 05:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrochager from .....

http://www.alphamaleperformance.com

anybody tried one of these yet, i emailed them for a price they say it puts donw 100 ft. lb TQ and damn thats alot, if u guys have any info on this post it, i would like to know more about it myself.

Mike
Old 01-17-2004, 09:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Electrochager from ..... (Dyno Queen)

anybody
Old 01-17-2004, 10:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

$3500=
Old 01-17-2004, 10:29 PM

Default Re: Electrochager from ..... (MiraiZ)

Turbo is more cost effective!
Old 01-18-2004, 07:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Electrochager from ..... (MiraiZ)

is it really that much????? my godddddd hell no, i was actually thinkin about trying one of these not now!!!!
Old 01-18-2004, 07:41 AM

so how does this thing work? is it just a battery powered supercharger?
Old 01-18-2004, 08:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

alpha male performance.......what a hilarious name.... lol.

you guys check out the picnic table mounted on the trunk of the demonstration car , absolutly hilarious.

stick with a good old fashioned turbo.... less money, more power, don't have to buy a new battery all the time , ect..
Old 01-18-2004, 08:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Electrochager from ..... (dasher)

just noticed -- the "sickvic" sticker on the rear of the demo car ....
awww yeeah... that civic is sick tight Yo!
Thanks for the laugh .... this made my mourning.
Old 01-18-2004, 09:17 AM
Screw you guys, I'm... going... home.

I think the debate on electric power adders and electric blowers has been beaten to death but I'll review it again for you.

First, a few comments about this particular item: The "Technical" link on their homepage leads to a giant oversized pic of the system with NO DETAILS WHATSOEVER! Both of those things (giant pic & no info) **** me off and should be a hint that it is worthless. If there were anything good to say about it, they would have said it. Also, look at that wing and widebody kit they are pushing. That should be another clue.

Now, as to whether or not it really *performs*? From the size of that electric motor, I really REALLY doubt that it could put out 100 lb*ft of torque to the crank. Motors that small just can't put out that kind of torque and even if they are geared down enough to make that kind of torque at the crank, it will only be at around idle speed and not at any useful speed above that. Want proof that this is true? Read on. (btw, you can gear down ANY electric motor enough to make 100 lb*ft, even the one in your electric razor. It will just be turning the output shaft VERY slowly!) From their homepage, the "Super Capacitor Battery Pack" puts out 48 volts and 350 amps at best. Do the math for yourself on this one: 48V * 350A = 16,800W. 16,800W * (1hp/753W) = 22.3hp. That is IF it were 100% efficient, which it isn't, and IF it maintained 48V and 350W as the battery drained, which it won't. If we give it the benefit of the doubt and say that it COULD make 20hp maximum at the crank, lets look at how that effects the torque curve. Remember that hp * 5252/rpm = tq so @5252rpm it is making 20 lb*ft, @7000rpm it makes 15lb*ft, @3000rpm it makes 35 lb*ft, and @1500rpm it makes 70lb*ft. MAYBE?!?! And that is the absolute maximun of the ideal case if it is really efficient and actually has that much capacity, which I highly doubt! Did you notice that they didn't tell you the CAPACITY of the battery? If they did then you would know how long that output will last, which ain't very long. Alpha Male? Yeah right! More like Omega Loser.

For all the other electric "It sounds too good to be true" gizmos, you'll notice that they only give you half of the info you need to know if it is worthwhile or not. Like for the marine blower fans they'll say "300cfm" but they don't tell you that is at 0.05psi (no, that is not an exaggeration), or that something else might make "5psi" but they forgot to mention that was at 2cfm. What is even worse is that frequently they will quote both "5psi and 300cfm" but they don't say that these don't happen together! Meaning that it DOES make 5psi (but at 2cfm) and that it DOES flow 300cfm (but at 0.05psi) but NOT AT THE SAME TIME! I see this all the time with stupid **** on ebay and often the quoted values far exceed the electric capacity of the item. Always do your own math to see if someone is BSing you or not. Here are some useful formulas to remember.

hp*5252/rpm=tq <--or--> tq*rpm/5252=hp

cfm*psi*0.00436=hp needed for that flow and boost (for the ideal case! Nothing is 100% efficient)

volts * amps = watts (again, ideal case! Nothing is 100% efficient. Just because it uses 753 watts doesn't mean it puts out 1hp. Some is lost to heat)

1hp = 753watts = .753kw

Build yourself a good shitsniffer, i.e. use your brain and some common sense, or you will be a hopeless sucker that everyone takes advantage of and I for one won't feel sorry for you.

Please bookmark this so you can pass it along to the next person who asks these questions, and the next person, and the next person, and the next person............