Notices

Electrical short?!

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2001, 05:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Electrical short?!

Anybody experience any fuel injector related electrical issues related to any of the rest of the car's electronics? Ever since I installed my RC440's, I've had this constant problem where the car will just kinda cut out on me for no apparent reason. This only happens at like 5-7% throttle and I noticed that it seems to correspond to what the A/F gauge is doing. Even if i'm standing at a light or whatever, and just gently apply throttle like to hold the car at 2k rpm for example. The rpms will rise to 2k, then it'll cut out for a second, then it'll come back, cut out, come back, cut out as if I just let go of the throttle.... and the weird thing is, when it cuts out, my A/F gauge goes blank, as soon as the motor comes back, the gauge reads again. This is royally pissing me off and I don't know what to do next. I have the A/F gauge wired to the O2 sensor of course, the ground to the metal plate under the steering colum, and the power to a wire I once used to power foglights which is now unconnected. I think for some reason there's a short that stops sending current to the injectors for a moment which is why they cut out, but of course I'm not sure. At this point i'm so frustrated with driving it this way that I'm ready to rip out my injectors and go back to stock or spend the $$ for Hondata/AEM EMS already.. HELP!!
Old 11-27-2001, 05:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Electrical short?! (VTC_CiViC)

go back and redo O2 power and ground use better sources like ignition, the injectors just plug in, you didnt rewire them right? otherwise you have some wierd electrical gremlins. Did you do any welding on the car with the ECU in car???? might be a shiny paperweight now.
Old 11-27-2001, 06:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Electrical short?! (rtype11)

I had to wire pigtails for the 440cc injectors since my car is an OBD-II, and I've done soldering for things like the V-AFC and AVC-R, no welding though. Remember, this is the same ECU that keeps spitting out that stupid code 13 like everyday (BARO sensor), so I think you could be absolutley right, the ECU may be on it's last legs. I'm gonna go ahead and rewire the O2 using the ignition for power and ground (does the ignition have a ground?, if not I'll use the ECU) and see what happens. Anybody have a spare 96-98 EX ECU laying around?
Old 11-27-2001, 07:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

you didnt find the reason for the code 13 yet, I forget where we left off, and i dont know where the thread is. anyway i hope someone offers to loan you another ECU, otherwise I could just offer some electrical tape to cover the light!
cheers
Old 11-27-2001, 07:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Electrical short?! (rtype11)

Umm, well we all determined that since the Baro. sensor is internal to the ECU, and it kept going off all the time, the sensor is crapped out at best. Add into it that now I've gove this repetative "cut-out", and I'm thinking it's probably the ECU. Funny thing is though, like I said, it's only since I installed the 440's that this has been hapening which coinsided with the time I started getting the CEL-13's. I'm looking for another 96-98 ECU already, or maybe this is a sign to go with an OBD-I P28 ECU
Old 11-27-2001, 08:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

good luck, the only thing I know about ECU crapping out is from welding on the car with them in. otherwise I always thought they were bulletproof. P.S. isnt that like a special warranty item from Honda??????????????????????????????????