Notices

EGT Gauge - Brand, fitting and placement questions.

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2005, 01:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EGT Gauge - Brand, fitting and placement questions.

Hey there. I'm working towards the installation of my turbo.. lotsa money to spend. I can understand why some people say "I can't afford the turbo anymore".

But in any case, I am having my BLOX turbo manifold ceramic coated soon along with the hot side of the turbo and the downpipe all the way to the catalytic converter.

I talked to the ceramic coater and he said that I need to get the EGT gauge probe fitting installed into the manifold before the ceramic coating can happen.

My questions are;

1. Do all EGT gauges use a 1/8" NPT or PT fitting? If not, is there another brand that uses 1/8" NPT or PT?

I ask because I eventually want all Defi gauges (which uses either 1/8" NPT or PT depending), but dang Defi is spendy (and you have to buy the Defi-Link Control Unit II to run any of the gauges). So instead of plopping down $1k for all the gauges I want, I decided to get what I need from Autometer and replace the gauges as I come up with the money.

This car is <u>rarely</u> driven (after it gets completed, maybe 40 miles a month) so while I know that Autometer is supposed to be unreliable/inaccurate that shouldn't matter too much to me as it won't have enough drive time to really get inaccurate.

2. Does anyone have experience with the DEFI EGT gauge? Worth the chunk of paycheck?

Curious if it's worth as much as they are selling it for or if I could get by with another brand.

3. Will the DEFI EGT gauge plug into my ECU (UBERDATA) so I can datalog the information?

Ungawa &lt;-- That's caveman for "This question needs no further explaination."

4. Which runner on the exhaust manifold would be best to stick an EGT into? Does it actually matter?

I've heard that the number #3 runner is best, but I don't trust the source. Any solid info?

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-10-2005, 05:18 AM

I'd like to know #4 also... which runner is best.
What about in the downpipe? How far?
Old 05-10-2005, 06:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (juka)

Put it on the #3 runner as the 3rd cylinder is the one that usually runs the hottest.
Old 05-10-2005, 06:23 AM
Trial User

Default Re: (Civicman86)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Civicman86 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Put it on the #3 runner as the 3rd cylinder is the one that usually runs the hottest.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 05-10-2005, 06:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (SSBPGSR)

LIke said before runner 3, 1-2 inches from head is best spot for EGT.

Not all guages use the same fitting. My greddy guage used the same 1/8 NPT, but my new VDO guage, uses something WAY bigger. U canre-use your probe if you get a different guage, you do not need to switch the probe out too if you bought something else down the road as long as it is a type "K" EGT Probe.

Several EGT guages are just fine, Defi is good too but too much $$. Greddy, VDO, Blitz, HKS, even autometer will work just fine.

U do not need to have the probe installed in the mani before thermal coating. To me, that might **** up the wires and plug coming out of it. All you need to do is plug up the hole with another fitting or bolt or something that will screw in there and is not hollow.

The only reason you need something inthere is so the coating does not coat the threads and then the fitting will not fit.

All I did was use a bolt to plug the hole when I got my mani thermal coated.
Old 05-10-2005, 06:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (mike1114)

i put mine on my #3 runner 2 in. from the head