Notices

EG ebay boost

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 09:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EG ebay boost

94 hatch d16z6 w/ 80k miles swapped in. removed a/c, cruise, washer fluid res, and the radiator overflow res. left in ps for convenience

for the record, this will be my first boost

i was looking into boosting, but due to my small income, i was looking into an ebay kit. my buddy works at a shop that specializes in hondas, and will be helping me install, and making an intercooler mount and all that so it wont be one of those driveway builts held together by zip ties and duct tape.

anyone ever do an ebay boost? good or bad feedback?

do i need to replace injectors if it will be under 10psi?

Modified by civics4lyfe at 10:38 AM 11/7/2008

Modified by civics4lyfe at 10:46 AM 11/7/2008
Old 11-07-2008, 09:24 AM
Man U FTW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ebay boost is so very vague. If its "name brand" stuff, it should be reliable, but in order to have any idea of what else you may need, we'd need to know exact specs. Also, dont judge your goals on PSI, you have to have a whp goal. That's what your fuel consumption will be based upon.
Old 11-07-2008, 09:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

well im lookin for a lil over 200whp

t3/t4 turbocharger
cx racing intercooler and piping
cast steel mani
cheap 3 inch downpipe
GReddy bov

havent chosen a wastegate yet
Old 11-07-2008, 09:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: EG ebay boost (civics4lyfe)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civics4lyfe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
i was looking into boosting, but due to my small income, i was looking into an ebay kit. it will be name brand stuff, just off ebay.
anyone ever do an ebay boost? good or bad feedback?

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Name brand, but off of ebay? Does that imply that xspower, obx, ssautochrome, cxracing is name brand?

Small income and ebay parts to boost a car=recipe for disaster

Here's what's going to happen. We're all going to tell you what junk ebay crap is, and your going to buy it anyway. It'll then **** itself like we all told you and your either going to; 1. Rebuy everything and end up spending more than you would've had you bought the right stuff the first time or 2. Your going to sell out and buy another kind of car.

What are you gonna do now?
Old 11-07-2008, 09:40 AM
Man U FTW

^^You know its sad but true...
Old 11-07-2008, 09:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: EG ebay boost (RC000E)

ok so then ill take your advise and not purchase it

all the other kits are like 2700-5000. i hate to sound cheap, but im lookin to boost without buying a kit that exceeds the value of my car.
Old 11-07-2008, 09:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Schister66)

ok i know there can be issues with wastegates and turbos, but can something go wrong with an intercooler?

would it be a bad idea to boost with a full GReddy kit that comes w/o an intercooler, and use a cheap intercooler, such as CXracing?
Old 11-07-2008, 10:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

Point people are trying to make is that if you buy a "kit" off of ebay or for cheap it's going to be because the materials and pieces are cheap and shitty.

Where as if you buy individual pieces and piece one together yourself you're prob. going to end up with a much better/reliable final product.

Ebay kits make it easy to put together... which is good since that first time is going to give you some practice for when you bit by bit remove and replace every component you bought.

Read around follow some build threads and make a decision how you want to go. You can piece together a JYT for just about nothing, or you can spend money on a name brand or reputable kit but you're still not going to find a "kit" that will be perfect for you.

For that you have to figure out your goals and design a system to suit those needs.

Good Luck.
Old 11-07-2008, 10:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i did my project TUNED with aem ems at around 2 grand, my kit came off ebay but wasnt an ebay kit, look for someone who is selling there turbo kit, my cars been boosted since early september no problems except new tires, haha!
Old 11-07-2008, 10:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Try the classifieds on here I know you can piece together a kit for under 2K no problem. Also treadstone performance sells a damn nice kit for about $1,800.
Old 11-07-2008, 10:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: (neoc03)

The other 3-word catch phrase:

Choose 2: wait time, parts/labor price, parts reliability.

Basicly if you watch for deals, it will still be cheap BUT also have reliable parts - it just takes a while. Ebay kits are usually knock-off parts that fail quickly, which REALLY screws your budged when you have to buy another engine, turbo, manifold, etc. You also need more than the usual kit - some sort of oil supply and drain, connecting the DP to your exhaust, injectors & fuel pump (EX pump + EX injectors = max 170whp <U>for boost</U>), tuning, etc.

Any t3/t4 turbo will usually be a 57trim t04e wheel, which will make over 200 on any D-series at 7-10psi. Max out the pump and you'll kill it soon (if you don't blow the motor first); max out injectors and they could lock [fail] open or closed - which WILL blow up a cylinder.

In other words - do NOT boost on a budget, unless you've done it before successfully. A seasoned 'pro' HMT'er can slap together a $500 kit and make 300whp, but a rookie will not. Also, always assume you'll need 50% more than you calculate or risk having a looooooong project when **** hits the fan.
Old 11-07-2008, 11:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I understand your issue with income bro but either way you ARE gonna be out of some cash and not just a few hundred dollars so why risk it? A little advice for you is if you keep checking on H-T Marketplace there are some good deals there on name brand reliable stuff and almost all the sellers will take offers from you.

The ebay intercooler kits are pretty good though but I would not chance it with something important as a no name turbo or wastegate. Oh and then you also gotta drop a few hundred on a PROPER tune - that is very important and if you are not gonna do a proper tune might as well not even go turbo...

Well that was my 2c