Notices

edelbrock sohc turbo kit

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2003, 11:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default edelbrock sohc turbo kit

anyone have pics? or running their setup and have dyno sheets or info? im thinking about getting this kit. and wanted to know how well its works
Old 05-03-2003, 11:28 PM

Default Re: edelbrock sohc turbo kit (robbieshonda)

It has not been released yet.
Old 05-06-2003, 09:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: edelbrock sohc turbo kit (CzanSOHC)

Modacar has it for sale on their website--not sure if it has been released or they are letting you preorder... either way, it's hella $$$ for a sohc kit.
Old 05-06-2003, 09:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: edelbrock sohc turbo kit (robbieshonda)

It says available "Early Spring 03" so it might be out now. $3799
Old 05-06-2003, 10:32 AM

Default Re: edelbrock sohc turbo kit (RyanCivic2000)

i saw it at the sema show, its a pretty small turbo, i guess there whole thing is to have it SMOG legal. I do like how they have there injectors set up into the intake manifold. yeah the guy told us about $3800. It produced on 6psi about 170 ish hp, and 150lbs of torque ( if I am remembering properly).
Old 05-06-2003, 11:57 AM

Default Re: edelbrock sohc turbo kit (fmaxturbochic)

damn thats a lot of cash looks like i'm going apexi still
Old 05-06-2003, 12:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: edelbrock sohc turbo kit (tonesdef)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tonesdef &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">damn thats a lot of cash looks like i'm going apexi still</TD></TR></TABLE>

someone here said A'PEXi has discontinued that turbo kit. But i didn't follow the thread to see if that info was backed up or not. But that would explain why Gruppe-S was able to sell a bunch for $1300 shipped.
Old 05-06-2003, 01:53 PM

Default Re: edelbrock sohc turbo kit (Daniel)

The edelbrock kit is a very nice kit, it comes with very nice parts, 3800 yes, but you get intake manifold, injectors, intercooler, tial blow off valve. Not too bad if you ask me.
Old 05-12-2003, 07:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: edelbrock sohc turbo kit (SilverCivic2k)

Also, I don't think any other company has a PRE-PROGRAMMED ECU! The Edelbrock unit just splices into the stock harness and it ready to go....no dyno tuning needed! After you install it, prime the oil, warm up the engine for about 15 min, and then start driving!
Old 05-12-2003, 07:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: edelbrock sohc turbo kit (fmaxturbochic)

Doesn't need a big turbo, it should be the perfect street driven, smog legal SOHC kit around. If I didn't enjoy custom stuff so damn much, I would buy one...if I still had a single cam Civic!
Old 05-12-2003, 08:19 AM

Default Re: edelbrock sohc turbo kit (PseudoSilvia)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PseudoSilvia &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Doesn't need a big turbo, it should be the perfect street driven, smog legal SOHC kit around. If I didn't enjoy custom stuff so damn much, I would buy one...if I still had a single cam Civic!</TD></TR></TABLE>

my thoughts
Old 05-20-2003, 02:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: edelbrock sohc turbo kit (CzanSOHC)

Looks like the pics are available...

Old 05-20-2003, 03:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: edelbrock sohc turbo kit (kommon_sense)

There are a few differences from that pic to the final design. The intake manifold has an angled throttle body, its not straight into the plenum like shown in the pic, which changes the charge pipe, and the final one has less bends. That's not the computer used either. Here's a couple pics from the SEMA IAS show.....

Old 05-20-2003, 03:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That GT28 ball bearing turbo would be just absolutely perfect for a SOHC in my opinion. I'd love to have that turbo. There are a lot of misconceptions out there with regards to smaller turbos on our cars. Even the T25 on my d16y8 has delivered good performance.
Old 05-20-2003, 03:17 PM

Default Re: edelbrock sohc turbo kit (Marauder)

so thorough.
Old 05-20-2003, 07:15 PM

This is being kind of picky, but I don't like the endtank design at all. It looks like it'll provide for pretty uneven air flow. Using the term "over-sized intercooler" as a selling point a little questionable too. In mind my undersized or oversized = bad.

Also, is there any advantage to placing the injectors so far up on the runners? It would seem to me that it would just give the fuel more time to come out of mixture. There aren't any turns or anything, so it shouldn't really matter, but still...

Being internally wastegate kind of bothers me too, as it makes Turbo/Manifold/Wastegate upgrades that much harder.

Lastly, using a re-programed ECU is all well and good, but how much room for tunablity does that leave?
Old 05-21-2003, 04:07 AM

Default Re: edelbrock sohc turbo kit (Daniel)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Daniel &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

someone here said A'PEXi has discontinued that turbo kit. But i didn't follow the thread to see if that info was backed up or not. But that would explain why Gruppe-S was able to sell a bunch for $1300 shipped. </TD></TR></TABLE>

that would be me who said that. im getting the last kit that apexi has partswise, i had a defective oil line and after 3 months of waiting and being bullshitted and lied to by dsitributor's distributor, apexi finally got my damaged parts yesterday

i was told there last kit will be parted out to get me back on the road, runninng a turbo dry for 3 weeks doesnt make its last long

i was told the reason for the kit being discontinued is that due to the high quality of the turbo alone , as u can tell by the high prices, its doesnt help them that much selling them , so they said they had to do some replanning

however there will still be many parts available for replacement, so thats a good thing
Old 05-21-2003, 04:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: edelbrock sohc turbo kit (vha27)

Yeah I purchased the Apexi kit from the Groupbuy... Not installed yet.. What's your setup?
Old 05-21-2003, 04:46 AM

Default Re: edelbrock sohc turbo kit (dabrown)

everyone doesn't the see the greatest thing about this kit, with all these hacks and fmu's floating around...the computer controls your timing from what i heard too.

something that will help with a better tuned car in the long run. plus the use of extra injectors like that allows for a stock idle then extra fuel when needed after boost. so hopefully no more bucking and hard starts. but we'll have to see but i'm liking the whole 'standalone' that comes with this sucker.

who cares if the turbo is that small, people have made some impressive numbers with the greddy turbo which is comparable in size.
Old 05-21-2003, 07:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: edelbrock sohc turbo kit (johnisenglish)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by johnisenglish &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">This is being kind of picky, but I don't like the endtank design at all. It looks like it'll provide for pretty uneven air flow. Using the term "over-sized intercooler" as a selling point a little questionable too. In mind my undersized or oversized = bad.

Also, is there any advantage to placing the injectors so far up on the runners? It would seem to me that it would just give the fuel more time to come out of mixture. There aren't any turns or anything, so it shouldn't really matter, but still...

Being internally wastegate kind of bothers me too, as it makes Turbo/Manifold/Wastegate upgrades that much harder.

Lastly, using a re-programed ECU is all well and good, but how much room for tunablity does that leave?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well, I think the oversized intercooler part is just a dumb advertising guy trying to make a bullet point. LOL And I have looked around a lot and those style end tanks are very commonly used.

Actually, placing the EXTRA injectors further up the manifold is what you are supposed to do with extra fuel injectors. In all the studies and reading I have done, when extra injectors are used in addition to the primary injectors, its pretty much that you can place them where ever you want and you wont affect performance. As a rule of thumb, placing them furture upstream increases fuel atomization and better mizes the fuel with air or a more complete combustion.

A re-programmed ECU? No, its a piggy-back fuel system that addes fuel with boost and controls timing. Since this is a E.O. legal kit, its meant for people not to be able to tune it manually. But you DON'T need to tune this kit! Thats what makes it so cool! And being an E.O. legal kit, making it able to tune and upgrade the kit wasn't designed into it since that is for cars that don't need to worry about smog controls. Look for an off-road kit from Edelbrock in the near future....from what I hear, its in the works.
Old 06-04-2003, 06:32 PM

Psssssssh, $3800?!?!? Thats too much. If any of you guys want this Edelbrock kit give me an email. I can get you a pretty good deal on one. Mbanks21@yahoo.com And no, Im not joking.
Old 06-07-2003, 08:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (mbanks21)

Just picked up a kit for a customer. We hope he can send us actual real world dyno results on these. BTW: the best price we can do on this is $3350.00

Wil
http://www.exospeed.com
Exospeed Performance Group
Old 06-07-2003, 08:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (exospeedAMcrx)

wow... I can't say that iam over impressed by this kit becuase i am pretty limited on the reaserch on this specific kit. you guys seem to give it alot of good feed back. It almost makes me want to rethink the apexi kit that i have sitting in my living room awaiting install.

I have baught everything for my apexi kit that is included with this kit, except of coarse the intake manifold. but up to this point i have spent over a grand less then what this kit sells for. its very attractive that this kit is like a bolt on, no real tuning needed. it comes with everything. What I would definately like to see is a comparision of the Edelbrock vs. Apex kit.

Thanks alot for all the info. much appreciated.

~Mike
Old 06-09-2003, 07:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (EggEX2000)

I don't know much about the Apexi turbo kit. What kind of fuel management comes with that kit? Is it one of their AFC piggybacks? The kit that you bought come with an intercooler?

I have the first production Edelbrock kit on my car, done as a SEMA show car. Sport Compact Car magazine will be here tomorrow to do an article on the car, as well as aceleration and slalom testing. My favorite part of the kit was that after installing everything, the fuel management was already done and programed in the piggyback Edelbrock has and no tuning was needed.
Old 06-09-2003, 01:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Marauder)

Sweet, any plans for a dyno?

Quick Reply: edelbrock sohc turbo kit