Notices

Ecut or no ecut?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 04:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ecut or no ecut?

I have h22T and wondering if i should put this 3in ecut on it..or even if it would help. i have a 3in with 2 resinator and a 2.5 maganaflow mufler. not to sure if i want it on there or not. im shooting for 350whp

650cc
t3/t3 60-63
8.5.1 comp

thoughts/comments
Old 04-01-2009, 04:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Ecut or no ecut?

a 2" ID resonator is definately gonna hinder your goal. Ideally no portion of your exhaust should be less than 3".

So yeah the ecut would be better than your current arragement but most would choose a full 3" exhaust over either.
Old 04-01-2009, 05:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

when i have the ecut open, thats how tthats how i should tune it..correct. when the ecut is closed..it will run richer?
Old 04-01-2009, 05:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah, honestly I wouldn't run an ecut as its just one more thing to fail...

But if I were going to run one I would probably set it up on a throttle switch so it would open any time I was 60-70% throttle or so.

This way you could tune correctly for part throttle (closed) and WOT (open) and have the tuning be good all the time.

Actually I think some tuning software can be wired to turn extra ish on and off.
Old 04-01-2009, 05:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by jfoster
Yeah, honestly I wouldn't run an ecut as its just one more thing to fail...

But if I were going to run one I would probably set it up on a throttle switch so it would open any time I was 60-70% throttle or so.

This way you could tune correctly for part throttle (closed) and WOT (open) and have the tuning be good all the time.

Actually I think some tuning software can be wired to turn extra ish on and off.
thats why ive been having second thoughts about it. i guess if it fails i just cut some 3in and weld it in its place.

with my setup would it be possible to get close to 350whp. i guess its not that big of deal, but i dont really want it super loud.
Old 04-01-2009, 05:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

maybe i could get one of these?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Summi...Q5fAccessories
Old 04-01-2009, 05:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

IDK, you'll just have to search up sme h series set ups, see whose making your goal whp and what they're running. I'd be willing to bet none are under 3".

I would rather my car were quieter as well, but I am not gonna trade any hp for it.
Old 04-01-2009, 09:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'll be running a ecut with my setup. My buddy has been running a ecut for a year and he has no problems. My reason for running an ecut is I'm running the stock Honda exhaust and muffler, but use the ecut for track. It's quiet in town, but makes the extra power at the track.
Old 04-01-2009, 09:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Over the last 3-4 years I've ran different combinations and I had a 3" qtp cutout and within 4 months it crapped out on me. So off the DP I we made a manual cutout out the driver front bumper and my tuner loves the power gains it gives. I run a custom 3" exhaust all the way back with a 3" muffler and when I open my cutout on the dyno with no additional tuning I picked up 33whp with no exhaust. Keep in mind with a open Dp/cutout your car will run leaner and capped will run richer. I love the gains and it sounds mean...........
Old 04-02-2009, 03:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 93hatched_projekt
Over the last 3-4 years I've ran different combinations and I had a 3" qtp cutout and within 4 months it crapped out on me. So off the DP I we made a manual cutout out the driver front bumper and my tuner loves the power gains it gives. I run a custom 3" exhaust all the way back with a 3" muffler and when I open my cutout on the dyno with no additional tuning I picked up 33whp with no exhaust. Keep in mind with a open Dp/cutout your car will run leaner and capped will run richer. I love the gains and it sounds mean...........
i would think it its tuned with the ecut open, it shouldnt run lean. i have a badlanz ecut. not to sure if its the same
Old 04-02-2009, 03:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

tune w/ ecut out open. when u close it, the part throttle a/f wont be dat much different, just slightly richer. i had an e cut out on my lsvtec w/ gt3582R turbo, running to a stock muffler. i tuned it with the e cut out open. with it closed at part throttle, the a/f was pretty much the same as it was with it open. at WOT, its a different story. from mid 11's a/f in boost with the cutout open to mid 10's with the cutout closed.
Old 04-02-2009, 06:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

The whole point of running a cutout is to have a quick/quiet car, as well as a fast/loud car. The richer AFR's when its closed won't hurt, you just won't make as much power.

Ideally you'd have a program like Neptune/ECtune that uses dual fuel/ign maps, and switches to them based on an input. I made my own, and it's automaticly opened at 75% TPS, as well as automaticly switches to the 2nd set of fuel/ign maps.
Old 04-02-2009, 03:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

huh...what to do..what to do.

if it doesnt effect AF much, then i might just keep it.

Thanks forthe info
Old 04-02-2009, 06:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by HiProfile
Ideally you'd have a program like Neptune/ECtune that uses dual fuel/ign maps, and switches to them based on an input. I made my own, and it's automaticly opened at 75% TPS, as well as automaticly switches to the 2nd set of fuel/ign maps.

This is what I was getting at.... good tuning closed, good tuning open.
Old 04-02-2009, 06:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm runnin it because it allows me to keep my sanity around town, then unleash the wrath when I want to. I wouldn't own one of these without an e-cutout....one of the best mods to have in my opinion.
Old 04-02-2009, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by RC000E
I'm runnin it because it allows me to keep my sanity around town, then unleash the wrath when I want to. I wouldn't own one of these without an e-cutout....one of the best mods to have in my opinion.
couldnt agree more...i still had a stock exhuast...so why bother gettin hassled by the cops...open the ecutout and shoot fireballs and backfires....close it up...and its stock as a whistle to any officer...or thief!

and its a night and day difference between closed and open...esp w/ the stock exh...id easily say i shaved about 5-800rpm off my spool times w/ the cutout open
Old 04-02-2009, 11:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by jfoster
Yeah, honestly I wouldn't run an ecut as its just one more thing to fail....
it is unfortunate i had the same idea as you did and had planned to do it but i have never seen it end well. either sticks open or sticks close, motor gets dammaged ect. one thing i did see that looked somewhat promising was https://honda-tech.com/forums/showth...me+made+cutout obviously it would need to be a cleaner version and an electric motor connected to it but i think he was on the right track as far as fixing the binding issues
Old 04-03-2009, 04:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheCheeseWedge
it is unfortunate i had the same idea as you did and had planned to do it but i have never seen it end well. either sticks open or sticks close, motor gets dammaged ect. one thing i did see that looked somewhat promising was https://honda-tech.com/forums/showth...me+made+cutout obviously it would need to be a cleaner version and an electric motor connected to it but i think he was on the right track as far as fixing the binding issues
ive seen that before. it would well i would think.