Notices

ECU that self tunes... putting tuners out of business????

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2004, 08:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ECU that self tunes... putting tuners out of business????

well my friend that's from clubrsx tells me about this product called "Cybernation - Guardian".... so he tells me, this ecu learns your car even if you have larger injectors, tunes your a/f etc....

http://forums.clubrsx.com/show...rdian

that's the thread.. i don't have time to read it right now... anyone heard of this product? will it put an end to all tuner's careers?? let me know if you find useful info in that thread.... sounds too good to be true.

here's one person's account:
http://forums.clubrsx.com/show...rdian
Old 12-15-2004, 08:54 PM

Default Re: ECU that self tunes... putting tuners out of business???? (SHystrdyGSRtdy)

The guardian unit has been around for quite some time. Before that, Cybernation was pushing their "black elf" system. I have been and will always be skeptical of a ecu that "tunes" itself. I don't think there is any reasonable replacement for a professional tuner.
Old 12-15-2004, 09:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: ECU that self tunes... putting tuners out of business???? (SHystrdyGSRtdy)

"The Guardian relies on the stock ECU's configuration and mapping."

Just another piggyback claiming all sorts of features.

Its only included in their 'stage 1' kit too. Not good enough for 'stage 2' or 'stage 3' ???
Old 12-15-2004, 09:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ECU that self tunes... putting tuners out of business???? (xenocron)

alright.. better stick to the good ol fashioned hands on tuning
Old 12-15-2004, 09:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I know AEM has an automap feautre which use i believe o2 input to setup the af. Maybe wrong correct me if i am.
Old 12-15-2004, 10:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ECU that self tunes... putting tuners out of business???? (E Town DSM)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by E Town DSM &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I know AEM has an automap feautre which use i believe o2 input to setup the af. Maybe wrong correct me if i am.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I beleive so also. But its used just to create nothing more but a nice ok basemap to start out with.
Old 12-15-2004, 10:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: ECU that self tunes... putting tuners out of business???? (synik)

In the event that the wideband sensor stops working, the ECU would still need a tune to fall back on... It would hardly put tuners out of business, just make it safer in everchanging weather conditions...
Old 12-15-2004, 11:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ECU that self tunes... putting tuners out of business???? (HRTuning)

I know cybernation and Lee who invented the "Guardian" ...I will believe it when I see it. They have yet to say how it works or even if how well it works.

Hell there still using FMU's on there kits. How reliable is high fuel pressure 150psi++, not very. It works but not the best way possible.
Old 12-16-2004, 12:00 AM
OG triple OG

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: ECU that self tunes... putting tuners out of business???? (SOUNDEFFECTS)

autronic and aem both have auto tune . and it learns over time , over several runs . you still need a tuner to get you close , and if there are minor , i mean minute changes the ecu can do it . but you can have a stock basemap , turn the boost to 30 lbs and expect it to adjust your settings right the first time .
Old 12-16-2004, 12:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it may be able to tune a somewhat safe fuel basemap, but what are you gonna do about ignition timing?
Old 12-16-2004, 01:11 AM

Default Re: ECU that self tunes... putting tuners out of business???? (SOHC_MShue)

My boy just blew up his RSX-S on the Cybernation stage 1, at only 10-11psi... So it must not be that great
Old 12-16-2004, 03:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ECU that self tunes... putting tuners out of business???? (BoostedCivicSedan)

rsx ... should be running hondata k pro man...
Old 12-16-2004, 05:25 AM

Default Re: ECU that self tunes... putting tuners out of business???? (havok hybrid)

I, for one dont exactly think cybernation is a reputable company.

Listen to this story.

My buddy drives an RSX type S, and he wanted some FI. He looked at all the kits online and tried to pick the most reputable one ( aparently he didnt do a very good job) So he gets the kit.... in 2 different shipments, after " waiting for the intercooler from spearco" for 3 weeks. The kit comes... all is nice. Now we look at the EM and woo! it is a used EM. Are you serious? hey pays a butt load for the kit.. and we get a used exhaust manifold. obviously there is nothing wrong with it. but it is the thought. he is shorted connectors and clamps. Now the guardian issue, He runs so rich in closed loop that the car stalls if you just drive in closed loop around town. You need to put it into open loop all the time or will will run like a cats ***.

Bottom line. he should have got the programable hondata. But who knew the guardian would suck, it was suposed to be plug and play.

just a experence I had.
Andrew
Old 12-16-2004, 08:23 AM

Default Re: ECU that self tunes... putting tuners out of business???? (E Town DSM)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by E Town DSM &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I know AEM has an automap feautre which use i believe o2 input to setup the af. Maybe wrong correct me if i am.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 12-16-2004, 08:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

And what are these magical no tune needed "self tuners" setting the timing at ... Oh wait ...
Old 12-16-2004, 08:33 AM

Default Re: ECU that self tunes... putting tuners out of business???? (0x64)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 0x64 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">And what are these magical no tune needed "self tuners" setting the timing at ... Oh wait ...</TD></TR></TABLE>

They use EGT signal to autotune the ignition timing..... That would be nice wouldnt it..
Old 12-16-2004, 08:34 AM

when I was getting my car tuned a guy came through with a cybernation turbo kit (had a RSX). we never heard of this kit before so we looked it up and was laughing our asses off at the "Guardian" self tunning ECU. Well he got his car tunned on the dyno and made like 250whp and he ended up at least needing a SAFC2 because that chip wasn't doing anything. I can't remeber that well but all it does is something simple like trick your ECU by running it richer or something. It's been a while since I seen it. On my car (Turbo ITR ) I use Greddy Emanage and that works for me.