Notices

Ebay Turbo DO Suck....

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 03:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ebay Turbo DO Suck....

i tried to give ebay turbos the benefit of the doubt. They suck... let me tell you how they suck. The blades inside the turbo came loose i suppose and hit the wall and shattered that **** into a bajillion pieces. Of course then those little pieces went into my engine. Need i say more? Dont buy that cheap ****..i dont care what budget your on. Would you rather spend a couple grand on a new engine or 800 or so on a reliable well built turbo.

Well i guess its time to start a build thread. Just picked up a b20z block and im gonna try and reuse my b16 head.
Old 12-15-2009, 03:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Ebay Turbo DO Suck....

why do you think every says stay away from ebay junk.?? thats why.
Old 12-15-2009, 03:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well it came with th car when i bought. i mean i was literally waiting for it to quit working but i didnt expect that thing to like shatter on the inside
Old 12-15-2009, 03:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

china turbos are hit or miss. sometimes they last sometimes they dont. they need constant inspection so things like this dont happen. Sorry to hear your engine got damaged.
Old 12-15-2009, 03:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah and i was just about to order a garrett too. Plus someone stole the lip of my car again. Second time this month. Im gonna beat the person with the turbo, maybe i'll feel like i got my moneys worth then
Old 12-15-2009, 04:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You get what you pay for!
Old 12-15-2009, 04:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no way
Old 12-15-2009, 04:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i mean i know they do suck . I'm mainly trying to give an example to these people about the dangers of ebay turbos for people considering buying them. I mean you can say they blow all you want and it goes in one ear and out the other but i wouldnt want the same thing to happen to someone else. Someone should make a ebay turbo PSA.
Old 12-15-2009, 05:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by azandford
i tried to give ebay turbos the benefit of the doubt. They suck... let me tell you how they suck. The blades inside the turbo came loose i suppose and hit the wall and shattered that **** into a bajillion pieces. Of course then those little pieces went into my engine. Need i say more? Dont buy that cheap ****..i dont care what budget your on. Would you rather spend a couple grand on a new engine or 800 or so on a reliable well built turbo.

Well i guess its time to start a build thread. Just picked up a b20z block and im gonna try and reuse my b16 head.
What turbo did you buy meaning from what vendor on Ebay??
the more info the better to help others from making the same mistake..
Old 12-15-2009, 06:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

He didnt buy the ebay turbo and everyone refers to them as ebay turbos people there chinese turbos. You can buy garretts and precision and air works turbos on ebay too. Just dont buy the cheap chinese turbos or xspower to ssautocrome turbos there all garbage no matter what jerky sells them to you lol

If you dont knwo enough about turbos to be able to pick out the right one on ebay for a deal then your best bet is to always consult an authorized dealer of a quality product and get the right turbo. this is not a bias statement either, i do not sell turbos and ive owend both garrett, turbonetics and ebay turbos all with good luck
Old 12-16-2009, 07:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

all i know is that when i went to get my hondata tune, the tuner just looked down and said ebay. That was enough for me i guess.
Old 12-16-2009, 07:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

DAM!!! This should be a sticky!! Sorry about your engine bro, I always can't stress enough to anyone I know starting out w/ boost...... "DON'T Cheap out"
Old 12-16-2009, 07:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

lol
Old 12-16-2009, 08:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

it doesnt need to be a sticky if people havent heard enough about china turbos being junk by now then they shouldnt be turbocharging unless they want to consistantly inspect for premature failure
Old 12-16-2009, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by Turbo-LS
it doesnt need to be a sticky if people havent heard enough about china turbos being junk by now then they shouldnt be turbocharging unless they want to consistantly inspect for premature failure
ahahaha
Old 12-16-2009, 09:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You would think that the intercooler would "filter" most of the pieces before they got to the intake manifold. Any pics of the damage?
Old 12-16-2009, 12:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Not that i dont believe you or anything but. Im just trying to figure out how it is possible for you to get either a the turbine bits or the compressor bits back into your motor? Which wheel broke on the turbo? the compressor or turbine? The only thing i could see possible happening is if somehow bits got into the mid section of the turbo and went straight back into the oil pan, resulting in metal in the oil. And can i please see some pictures of the turbo if you are even bothering to take it apart? Im just very interested to see what the inside of housings look like. Again, this isnt because i dont believe you im just very curious about this.
Old 12-16-2009, 12:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Lol, first thing you get when you type in Ebay turbo in google...

Old 12-16-2009, 12:27 PM

Oh WOW.^^
Old 12-16-2009, 12:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

I have a buddy who runs consistent 11.8's on a ebay turbo. no issues with it, but his car did catch on fire because the ebay dump tube he had shot at his radiator fan.
Old 12-16-2009, 12:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah i started to notice that the engine was smoking a little bit while driving and it didnt have any power. When i dropped the pan there was bits of the blades in there. The engine then started making a funny noise then it just kind of jolted and stopped working. I got it started once after that and it just sounded like it was misfiring kinda put put then died and wouldnt turn back on
Old 12-16-2009, 12:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

wow that sucks, luck was deff not on your side here. That is probably the worst case scenario ive heard of using a cheap turbo. In fact i never heard of a case where it actually damaged the motor, worst case always was tremendous loss of power, and the turbo being completely shot. Never this. Sorry to hear dude.
Old 12-16-2009, 01:12 PM

Never imagine pieces of the compressor blade would ever make it into the engine......yes i know it's small but if the turbo is messed up the engine will only have suction like an N/A would right so when that happens you know something is wrong with the car in which the car would be towed....

If the owner drive the car continuesly then that could explain it but still pieces getting thru the intercooler fins is a bit difficult especially with the bar and fin type of I/C...but then again **** does happen.

What kind of I/C do you have?? Bar and fin or Bar and tube?
Old 12-16-2009, 01:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

When i dropped the pan there was bits of the blades in there. The engine then started making a funny noise then it just kind of jolted and stopped working.
Do you think it "jolted and stopped" because you ran it with the oil pan off? lol, this can't be right.

The problem is that everyone seems to have an extra $150 floating around to try this. All this does is tell the CDM people we're suckers, make their **** worse, and market it harder. Then more boneheads post ebay turbo topics, or worse - buy them & blow **** up.

I hate to be rough though, the BEST way to learn something is to fail at it the first time. CDM turbos are right there to offer you the best chance at failing...
Old 12-16-2009, 10:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

no i deff dropped the pan after it seized up. the ic is a bar and fin. i dont know how long it was blowing pieces off because i dont boost often so when i did do it i noticed it didnt build any boost. Didnt really pay too much attention to it because it was late but then the next day it got all f-ed up. the intercooler is a bar and fin. I dont know how long the turbo was messed up before this happened

Quick Reply: Ebay Turbo DO Suck....