Notices

Earl and Dan Benson of Benson's Machine Shop

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2004, 10:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Earl and Dan Benson of Benson's Machine Shop

Not that this write-up was necessary as I'm sure many of you already know how well Earl Laskey treats his customers as well as any other Honda enthusiast that is in need of technical help with their car. However I felt that it wouldn't hurt to add a few positive words regarding my experience with Earl and Benson's Machine shop.

Some of you may or may not have come across my thread regarding a problem I had with an water/oil mixture in my motor (or so I thought). To make a long story short I looked high and low pulling out my hair trying to figure out why this was happening. After 2 weeks of fiddling with it I gave up and figured a sleeve was leaking though coolant system pressure tests I had conducted didn't support that.

I called Earl and told him my theory on what I thought was going on and did a bunch of brainstorming. We basically went over all of my options and said he would support me in whatever route I chose. After going through with everything he suggested, I still had slight traces of water/coolant residue on my valve cover. At that point, I had decided I no longer wanted to invest more time or money on the motor, or the car, and took him up on mine/his last resort of pulling the block out of the car and sending it up to Benson's for more tests to confirm that, either, A)there was a leak or B)that I was smokin' crack.

So I drive the block up to Benson's shop where both Dan Benson and Earl were expecting me. To my suprise, Mr. Benson was not being defensive and throwing around the attitude of, "There's no way my sleeves are leaking because I am superior." (Trust me, I've come across this with other people more often than not.) Instead, he was supportive and positive the whole time reiterating that if there is indeed a problem it would be taken care of. He was much more interested in taking care of the problem and learning whether or not he had to modify his sleeve installation process instead of playing the blame game which too many companies do.

Anyway, he gets the motor apart in less than 20 minutes and *suprise suprise* nothing obivous to support that there was any type of leak from the sleeves. After a lengthy discussion we decide that I should leave the block and have him do further tests.

I get in touch with Earl two weeks later to check on the progress. All of the tests that I requested came back with no problems. In addition they replaced my bearings, rehoned my walls, resurfaced my block surface (possible culprit due to rough areas near the oil galleys), CNC'ed the Benson's logo on the front of the block and did a damned good cleaning job...all free of charge. Now that's some customer service.

In the end, I felt I was treated very well and with respect throughout the whole process. I felt that this could have definitely went in the other direction in terms of customer service due to experience with other companies I've dealt with in the past but was very pleased it didn't take a turn for the worst. With that in mind, I felt that the least I could do was pay for the bearings and a little compensation as a token of my appreciation even though Earl said it wasn't necessary.

I have realized, over the years, that it is becoming much harder to find the type of customer service that I have received from Earl and Benson's Machine Shop. Sad to say but we do not have enough people/companies in the Import industry who would go above and beyond for a customer the way Earl and Benson did. They would definitely get my business in the future if I ever decide to modify my car again.

Modified by iiilgsrlll at 3:47 AM 12/5/2004
Old 12-04-2004, 10:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Earl and Dan Benson of Benson's Machine Shop (iiilgsrlll)

To earl, very nice man!
Old 12-04-2004, 10:53 PM
OG triple OG

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Earl and Dan Benson of Benson's Machine Shop (TurboTegB18c)

earl and dan are 2 of the best guys in the biz to deal with...i hope you figure out your problem!
Old 12-04-2004, 11:30 PM

so there was no problem??
Old 12-04-2004, 11:35 PM

Default Re: Earl and Dan Benson of Benson's Machine Shop (choiboiracing)

Sounds like both parties are a real class act
Old 12-04-2004, 11:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Earl and Dan Benson of Benson's Machine Shop (turnkey)

That is the kind of stuff I like to hear. Good stuff... earl and benson
Old 12-04-2004, 11:53 PM

Default Re: Earl and Dan Benson of Benson's Machine Shop (choiboiracing)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by choiboiracing &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">so there was no problem?? </TD></TR></TABLE>

If there was a problem it was the head gasket or the deck surface.

Modified by iiilgsrlll at 1:17 AM 12/5/2004
Old 12-05-2004, 12:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Earl helped me build my first motor over the phone
Old 12-05-2004, 12:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Earl and Dan Benson of Benson's Machine Shop (Tommy Ten)

Hey, I'm glad that you fixed the block, and that it wasn't a leaking sleeve. I was the one to first mention that it could be leaking sleeves, but that was cuz I didn't know that it was sleeved by Benson. And I gotta give it up for Earl too, I call him from time to time too, he is the best help I could ever hope for, time and time again.
Old 12-05-2004, 01:12 AM

Wish there were more out there like them. Some are in it for the love and some for just the money.
Old 12-05-2004, 02:59 AM

Default Re: Earl and Dan Benson of Benson's Machine Shop (leadfoot78)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by leadfoot78 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hey, I'm glad that you fixed the block, and that it wasn't a leaking sleeve. I was the one to first mention that it could be leaking sleeves, but that was cuz I didn't know that it was sleeved by Benson. And I gotta give it up for Earl too, I call him from time to time too, he is the best help I could ever hope for, time and time again. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks for your help during the whole ordeal. I definitely would have been lost if not for you guys. I'm glad everything turned out the way we had hoped.
Old 12-05-2004, 04:22 AM

eveything i here about these guys is great. i have never once heard one bad thing out of there. thats why they will be doing my next setup. one reason i wanted to get out of the sport is that there are so many people just wanting to rip yor off.
Old 12-05-2004, 06:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

great thread
Old 12-05-2004, 07:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by iiilgsrlll &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">B)[/B]that I was smokin' crack. </TD></TR></TABLE>

lol..

Next stop - rehabilitation.

Good read!
Old 12-05-2004, 07:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So I guess his sleeves really are superior? lol
Earl treated my VERY well, answered all my questions, and was even able to echange my cp rings that were the wrong size, for the right sized ones. (free of charge)
Old 12-05-2004, 07:45 AM

Default Re: Earl and Dan Benson of Benson's Machine Shop (m R g S r)

earl
Old 12-05-2004, 08:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats customer service! Earl and Dan
Old 12-05-2004, 08:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (mchuang)

I've never heard about thing about them.
Old 12-05-2004, 09:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (tegunderpressure)

Old 12-05-2004, 10:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (PrettyLude)

Earl is a great guy I have talked to him plenty of times over the phone and PM's. He never gave me short answers just to end the conversation. I also work with the public and know that service before and after the sale will keep customers coming back....EVEN IF SOMEONE ELSE BEATS THERE PRICE. There is no price tag for excellent service. I would pay more to get my parts from him because he takes pride in what he does and who he talks too. I am right now purchasing more parts from Earl....so he better hook me up j/k Hats off to yah earl
Old 12-05-2004, 11:07 AM

Default Re: (sleeprhatch)

Yeah, Earl is a great guy.
Old 12-05-2004, 11:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (accordking)

I'm impressed Last year i had problems with a cylinder head that i sent out to Exospeed/RS. Earl and Rocket were alwayz there to answer any questions i had with my situation.
Old 12-05-2004, 01:15 PM

Default Re: (SiR831)

good to hear positive shop stories!! if only the chicago area could get shops like that....
Old 12-05-2004, 01:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (SiR831)

I definatly learned my lesson and wont ever settle for any shop. I made the mistake of using a shop this summer (actual recommeded by someone here). The problem was 2 owners and no agreement between the two. Basically one agreed to cover the labor and the other would not budge so after many hours of fighting we settled on half which was still BS. I went to that shop because my shop couldnt touch my stuff for a few months but in the end it took 3.5 months and twice as much money so i screwed myself.

So for anyone looking into machine work i suggest saving up the extra money for the best or highly recommended peolple like these guys. Because in the end you might end up like i did not saving any time and paying more than it would have cost to send it out to the proffessionals.
Old 12-05-2004, 01:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Selling the block already? I'm glad some companies will help the average enthusiast out

Modified by 0x64 at 4:28 PM 12/26/2004

Quick Reply: Earl and Dan Benson of Benson's Machine Shop