eagle rods versus tuner toys rods help needed

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2005, 02:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default eagle rods versus tuner toys rods help needed

I am going to be building my y8 and debating on eagle rods or tunertoys rods. i hear they are very similar. So are they really? What are your thoughts? I really don't want to take shortcuts but if they are alike and can handle what they claim and not break i will get them. its $225 versus $300something ???????? thanks in advance for any info, suggestions or comments
Old 07-15-2005, 06:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: eagle rods versus tuner toys rods help needed (civicsi940)

bump cuz id like to know also..
Old 07-15-2005, 06:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: eagle rods versus tuner toys rods help needed (Vp Special K)

Bump, i would also like to know
Old 07-15-2005, 06:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: eagle rods versus tuner toys rods help needed (GiNuWiNe)

Tuner Toys rods have 9mm arp's, do the eagles have 9mm or 10mm?
Old 07-15-2005, 06:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i hear they are like scat rods. made in the same building etc. but want to know if they perform and are duriable like the eagle rods. ???????????????? extra 70 bucks or so isnt a big deal but if i can keep 70bucks in my pocket and still perform like ealge rods then i will keep that money.
Old 07-15-2005, 06:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (civicsi940)

i feel the same way you do. Hopefully someone indulges us w/ information about the Tuner toys rods, i'd gladly sport them if they can hold at least 500whp.
Old 07-15-2005, 07:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

they claim 600hp-700hp. i only hear about ppl who just ordered them or just installed, but no one who has had them for awhile and give us the low down. info straight from the site for those who didn't click on the link.

Tuner Toys Connecting Rods will support Horsepower ratings in the 600-700 range for turbo motors.

All Rods are manufactured from 2 Piece Forged 4340 Steel, using a Ultra Light Weight 3D design. Quality Control checks include X-Raying, Sonic Testing, and Magnaflux. Wrist Pin bushings are heat treated, stress relived bronze. Included hardware is ARP 9mm 8740 bolts. The are a great inexpensive alternative for Turbo/All Motor Applications.

Sold for off-road racing applications only.

Old 07-15-2005, 07:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hmm, i wonder if these rods require notching (for Dseries)
Old 07-15-2005, 07:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't know who "Tuner Toys" is or what their rods are, but someone makes them. Find out who and you will know exactly how they compare. I'd be very weary of any hp claims on them...
Old 07-15-2005, 07:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yes, i believe all aftermarket rods require notching on dseries except for I-beam rods which are $$$$$$ i believe.

and i did go online to the tunertoys link and talked to them basically know what i know now. they just said they are very similar to the eagle rods basically.
Old 07-15-2005, 07:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'd be willing to bet that eagle makes them and puts their name on them...
Old 07-15-2005, 07:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: eagle rods versus tuner toys rods help needed (tony1)

Well hell, if Eagle makes them its basically the same thing. Sounds like the tuner toys rods are a better deal then.
Old 07-15-2005, 07:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tony1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'd be willing to bet that eagle makes them and puts their name on them...</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'd suspect not though, when the Tuner Toys came out... they got their first batch of D rods and they ended up being B series... then stated their manufacturer didn't make Ds yet... so there was a delay while they did work on specs and such for Ds.

Honestly, I didn't even notice they finally got the Ds to the market. I just found a set of new Eagles and used them.
Old 07-15-2005, 07:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

which is what i am thinking which is the purpose of this thread. To see that tuner toys really offers straight up.
quoted from the site:
In addition to our own line of economy connecting rods, we offer H-Beam Connecting Rods from Eagle Manufacturing. Below are a couple of examples of the rods we offer. Click the links to the above to see our full offering of connecting rods!.
Old 07-15-2005, 07:57 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tony1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'd be willing to bet that eagle makes them and puts their name on them...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Eagle doesn't make them. These rods are from an oversea's manufacturer (just like the eagles). I had a set for inspection purposes and there is no visual difference between these and any set of eagles I've ever had.

Of course if you are trying to be the next Steph Papadakis, you will probably want to go with a bigger name/reputation, but for a budget build these would be great.
Craig at TunerToys is a stand up guy, and if he thought these were any less of a rod than Eagles he wouldn't be selling them.
Old 07-15-2005, 07:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: eagle rods versus tuner toys rods help needed (stealthmode62)

Who's to say they're not from the same overseas manufacturer? Belive it or not, alot of different manufacturers parts are made at the same place.
Old 07-15-2005, 08:02 PM

I didn't want to sound like "as a matter of fact", but I believe you 100%

These rods more than likely come from the same eagle esp/crower econo factory and just aren't stamped with a name.
Old 07-15-2005, 09:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tony1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Who's to say they're not from the same overseas manufacturer? Belive it or not, alot of different manufacturers parts are made at the same place.</TD></TR></TABLE>

It is 300% true....most of the parts that you are using are prolly made by the same MFG's. SOme uses different materials and design than others.

stan
Old 07-15-2005, 11:45 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tony1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I don't know who "Tuner Toys" is </TD></TR></TABLE>

They are a bad-*** company that I buy parts from as often as possible. They have never let me down in the past. Good products + awesome customer service = me swearing by them. I'll believe whatever they claim about their parts.
Old 07-16-2005, 12:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: eagle rods versus tuner toys rods help needed (EnzoSpeed)

Tuner toys could be owned by eagle for all I know. I have heard that they are the exact same cams except sold for less. It's probably all a marketing scheme because lower price = more sales = more profit. A lot of math goes into marketing anything.

Almost everyone at hmt swears by them and I'm thinking about picking up a set for my budget turbo b18a.
Old 07-16-2005, 09:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: eagle rods versus tuner toys rods help needed (michaelOlson)

You guys have to be kidding me. How can you say 2 different rods are the same just by looking at them? Carrillo started that style rod a long time ago and still makes them. Are you saying Carrillo and Eagles are the same? The cheap Crowers look just like the Eagles also. There is a "C n C" machine on every corner in Asia. Anyone of a thousand shops could be making these rods.

I walked into a rod rebuilding shop the other day to have some very specialized work done. Started talking to the owner and he pulled out a set of Eagle clones he sells. They did have the smaller bolts however. I could buy them for under $200. Tempting offer to make money on unsuspecting people but how can you sell something that you cannot trust? I passed.

Why would you trust your build to a rod that looks the same but who knows? The key phrase in there is "for off road use only". Translation.... no warranty when they break. Is it worth the $70 you save? I don't think so..
Old 07-16-2005, 09:32 AM

Default Re: eagle rods versus tuner toys rods help needed (earl)

just like the rev rods with the small bolts. look just like the eagles and we get them for dirt cheap
Old 07-16-2005, 12:13 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Let me see if I can answer everything in one post!

First off, thanks to everyone who had good things to say about our customer service. I take personal pride in keeping our customers happy, and I take it equally hard when customers are upset with us. As an online retailer in an online community, you live and die by what customers think of you, and by what they post about you. Again, thanks for the kind words.

As for the rods...

I have absolutely no evidence whatsoever that our rods have any connection at all to Eagles. It is possible they they have a connection somewhere, but if they do, I am not aware of it. I also would never make any claim of any connection.

When we decided to carry these rods, I had the manufacturer send me a set of them for inspection purposes. I took them to a local machine shop (Basko Machine), and asked them for a comparison to Eagle rods. Most of you know Eagles, and so I wanted a comparison against a known item. Basko inspected the rods and told me that they reminded them of an early Eagle rod. The finsh of the beam is not as fine as the Eagles, but the machined surfaces are fine. They told me that if Eagles are rated as a "10", then these rods are an "8". I think that is a decent rating for an economy rod.

All of the horsepower ratings were pased along to us by the manufacturer. Here is a quote from the specs they gave us on the H-Beams...

"1. The maximum RPM is 8000.
2. We say about 500 HP with current ARP 8740 bolts if you assemble properly, and you need ARP 2000 or up bolts, if you plain to apply over 700 HP.
3. Rods are balanced, weight matched per set +/- 1 gram."

As for initial issues with the D rods....

The first sets of rods we got for the D motors had a big end overall dimension of 77mm, which wouldn't fit through a 75mm bore. We gave refunds to everyone who had purchased them, and sold them Eagles at our cost to keep eveyone happy. The manufacturer corrected the problem, and now the rods fit just fine.

As for the "off road use only" statement...

We do this not becuase we don't trust the product, but because of the way they are being used. A lot of our customers are the DIY type, and learn by trial an error. This is the way we learned how to do it too. However, As a small company owner, I don't want to share the customers financial burden of supporting this sometimes costly learning method.

Properly installed into a properly tuned engine, and driven in a proper manner, with the proper maintenance, at a proper boost level, etc, etc, these rods will perform just fine for a long time.

How many of us have blown up an engine, or two, or three, (or twelve?). It is normally not the fault of the parts, but how they have been used (and abused). Because I blew apart an engine, I learned that my tune was bad, or I overboosted. This is my fault and is not justification that all of the parts I destroyed should be replaced under a warranty by the company I bought them from. I replace those parts myself, because I destroyed them. We at TunerToys have absolutely no control over how these parts are used, so they are sold for offroad use only.

Something else about these rods....

In summary...

These rods are a great economical solution for someone who wants to step up from stock rods, but is not going all out on their engine build. They are the best deal going for the price.

If you are building a monster motor, and dumping tons of cash into it, buy a big name rod. Who worries about saving $100 when you are building a $4000 motor? We'll leave those projects to the professional builders, and to the customers with deep pockets. We're happier hanging out with the customers doing great things on a budget, and so far, they are happy with us.

Okay, I'm done. Oh wait. Shameless plug....

Economy H-Beam Connecting Rods from Tuner Toys for Honda Engines

Okay, I tried to answer all the questions I could, but I know that there will be something someone will pick apart in my post.

Bring it.

Modified by TunerToys at 4:42 AM 10/18/2008
Old 07-16-2005, 12:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: Destroying turbo ITR motors in Minneapolis, MN, U.S.A.
Default Re: eagle rods versus tuner toys rods help needed (TunerToys)

TunerToys vs. Earl...Round 1!

Let's keep it clean, and come out boxing ladies!
Old 07-16-2005, 12:55 PM

I was going to get a set but wound up with eagles. the mfg had a problem with the first set of d16 rods; they' wouldn't fit.
i'd buy the hell out of a set if i were doing it again though.

I still have the set of off-brand rods and trust me they're different than the eagles. They're both good sets though.

For the money you save i'd have no problem going with the rods from tunertoys. he's a good guy and wont **** you like some of the cheaper eagle vendors you may be tempted to deal with.

Quick Reply: eagle rods versus tuner toys rods help needed