Notices

Dynomax Super Turbo Muffler

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2013, 10:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Dynomax Super Turbo Muffler

Does anyone know if this muffler can flow over 400whp on a 3 inch exhaust with a 62mm turbo?

http://www.jegs.com/i/Dynomax/289/17743/10002/-1

This says the muffler flowed 410cfm on a 2.5 inch muffler. I would like to use their 3" muffler. I just want to confirm that it will still flow 400whp.
Old 07-28-2013, 10:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Dynomax Super Turbo Muffler

i don't think that muffler limit you on making 400whp.
Old 07-28-2013, 11:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Those work pretty well
Old 07-29-2013, 03:05 AM
O.G. triple O.G.

Received 220 Likes on 197 Posts

Instead of the one listed above, I had this on my old setup. Looks and sounds good.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/wlk-17223/overview/

Old 07-29-2013, 06:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I am looking for a Chambered style Muffler to really quiet down the car, reduce drone, but not drastically restrict flow for up to 400whp. The dynomax website claims that the muffler can flow upwards of 700cfm. I would ultimately like to see, if someone has some actual dyno results with this chambered muffler.
Old 07-29-2013, 06:49 AM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Resonator will do that better than any muffler can
Old 07-29-2013, 07:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by wantboost
Resonator will do that better than any muffler can
True. How is the Dual exhaust working for you Kieth?
Old 07-29-2013, 07:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It works well but its loud. I am asking about this muffler for the dual exhaust. I want to replace the Borla straight through mufflers with these 3" Super Turbo Mufflers. I think it would quiet the car down a lot but I do not want to create to much restriction. The car made 670whp with E85 (with 4 bent exhaust valves).

Im in the process of upgrading the turbo, higher comp pistons, the valves, and adding an crank pully damper. I want to add these mufflers though. I want to know if people have made 400whp with these (even though I would only need 350whp) for my 700whp goals. I think it would work but I would like to see some dyno results.
Old 07-29-2013, 08:00 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by DelSolMarine
It works well but its loud. I am asking about this muffler for the dual exhaust. I want to replace the Borla straight through mufflers with these 3" Super Turbo Mufflers. I think it would quiet the car down a lot but I do not want to create to much restriction. The car made 670whp with E85 (with 4 bent exhaust valves).

Im in the process of upgrading the turbo, higher comp pistons, the valves, and adding an crank pully damper. I want to add these mufflers though. I want to know if people have made 400whp with these (even though I would only need 350whp) for my 700whp goals. I think it would work but I would like to see some dyno results.
Silly question my friend.. Had you ever considered the ATV/Motorcycle mufflers from Supertrapp.com? (No affiliation with me ). I've had a few people do some short-routed custom exhausts like you've done and they were VERY pleased with those without being too loud, and were able to make over 500whp on GSXR and 'Busa...

Just curious..
Old 07-29-2013, 08:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Shodan- I actually have looked at those. I even looked into getting Stock TT Supra Mufflers as suggested by Tony the Tiger but could not find any.

The SuperTurbos seem like the best cost/benefit for what I am looking for. I just want to confirm their flow capabilities.
Old 07-29-2013, 08:54 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by DelSolMarine
Shodan- I actually have looked at those. I even looked into getting Stock TT Supra Mufflers as suggested by Tony the Tiger but could not find any.

The SuperTurbos seem like the best cost/benefit for what I am looking for. I just want to confirm their flow capabilities.
They can do it, for sure. But for your peace of mind, its best to call. I think that's the best option over any of the others listed. seriously.

Supra Mufflers are IMPOSSIBLE to find over the last couple of years, unfortunately.
Old 07-29-2013, 09:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i used the super turbo for many years....made 400whp easily. only complaint is that they rust out rather easily. but it was one of the quietest setups i had with a proper resonator.
Old 07-29-2013, 10:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ALRIGHT! Thanks! I am going to order 2 of them. They cost less than 50 bucks! I will report back with results and videos when I have them.
Old 07-30-2013, 02:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

just a note on the dynomax super turbo's....while the inlet and outlets are 3" but they quickly step/crush down to about 2.5" internally. they will work but are not a true 3"

but they do work well for the price...

mine from 5 years ago......wow how time fly's...
Old 07-30-2013, 03:05 AM
Who is Mr Robot?

A muffler might quiet the exhaust note but will do little to change it

Drone and raspiness/tone can only be altered by running a resonator (or sticking a cat in the way)

I know this because we've tested 10 exhausts on our c6 z06 circuit/street/mountain car... none had resonators and did nothing to eliminate drone. The car droned at the same rpm with every full exhaust (long tube headers, x pipe, rear section) only thing that stopped it was a catted x pipe but since we've been doing more hard circuit days we've been overheating the cats to the point where it's burning the DEI lava rock heat wrap and bluing most of the exhaust system. Not to mention destroying most of our torque tube tunnel heat shielding... cooked the adhesive right off. If it's melting lava rock heat wrap you know it's hot... it got so hot inside the car we could've cooked lunch in the center console during a 20 minute track session lol.

Going from standard replacement headers (kooks, American Racing, etc) changed the tone a bit do to primary diameter and length but when we put the pfadt long tubes on it the tone got deeper and a bit visceral almost like corsa mufflers but cleaner

We are having to swap to a de-catted x pipe to solve the heat issue since it's radiating to other components causing issues but we have 2 resonators to go on the x pipe and it will take all of the drone and tinny sound away

And like posted above, while they are 3" in/out the tubing crimps down to 2.5" and smaller inside the muffler, which is a major restriction, add in the various chambers, louvers, and perforated panels, and direction changes (sharp 180* turns, 90s, etc) the exhaust gasses have to take and you've done nothing but add backpressure in the exhaust between the turbo and muffler (which is why the sound levels drop) so you'll see a performance decrease slightly with later spool, lower power, and torque production/power curves being affected.

Given you have a dual exhaust that's twice the restriction. You might even need to adjust fueling after the swap

But I strongly suggest keeping your current muffler setup and adding two resonators. The exhaust note will be night and day and I think you'll be pleased. Also since resonators are straight through you have very little impact on system flow. You'll drop the raspy, tinny sound and lose some if not all of the drone plus resonators are fairly affordable these days
Old 07-30-2013, 06:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I just had an email conversation with one of the Dynomax technicians and he said that the 3" super turbo Muffler is only rated for 200whp of loss free power. While I think the mufflers can push the power I want I think its pretty clear that I will be sacrificing power with these mufflers.

I am currently running a vibrant resonator pre 3" Y and then the borla straight through mufflers after the Y section on each 3" section.

Maybe putting two more small resonators on each side will do the trick. While I dont want or even expect the car to ride as quiet as my Acura RL I certainly want to try to get it quieter. Maybe the Dynomax VT mufflers are the way to go.
Old 07-30-2013, 09:02 AM
Who is Mr Robot?

Also check the main one to be sure that heat and time hasn't destroyed the packing material in it. 2 more would definitely help
Old 07-30-2013, 04:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

How about these "Vibrant Ultra Quiet Resonators"? Seem to have reasonable reviews.
Old 07-31-2013, 01:06 PM
met
Honda-Tech Member

You still seem to be concerned about making 400whp, I would be shocked with anything the people posted above wouldn't make that. Because I was able to make 480whp with an 83mm type r cams GT35r turbo, with a 60mm, about 2.36", exhaust and in the back muffler it reduced down to 2".
Old 08-01-2013, 10:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

400 hp per muffler, his current goal is 700 with the dual exhaust...

Originally Posted by met
You still seem to be concerned about making 400whp, I would be shocked with anything the people posted above wouldn't make that. Because I was able to make 480whp with an 83mm type r cams GT35r turbo, with a 60mm, about 2.36", exhaust and in the back muffler it reduced down to 2".
Old 08-01-2013, 06:52 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Burns race mufflers could be an option

Straight through design and come in any length so you could run 2 per exhaust section

Pricey but quality is second to none
Old 08-02-2013, 01:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Just to clear up the reason I am asking about these mufflers. I removed the stock gas tank and want to get different mufflers to relocate where the old gas tank was. I just want to try to quiet the car down. I believe I should be able to put a more restrictive muffler on there. If the Super Turbo muffler can flow 380whp at 13psi with a single Super Turbo Muffler as the video above shows I feel like I should be able to flow 700whp at less at 30psi with 2 of them. These pictures should explain exactly what my exhaust setup is doing.
Attached Images    
Old 08-08-2013, 05:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

good to see your working on this thing man!

I just put a vibrant resonator on my integra to go along with my WS2 turbo muffler and it isn't as quiet as i hoped