Notices

Dyno'd Stock LS/Vtec w/ Custom Kit...

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2003, 02:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dyno'd Stock LS/Vtec w/ Custom Kit...

Started off making 238 to the wheels on the first run, and found out the car was running extremely rich, 10.0's A/F all the way past 5000rpms, after doing a bit of tuning, and getting the A/F to a more relistic level, the car was making decent power. Boost was bouncing from 11-12psi & holding a decent 12.0 to 12.7 a/f

Overall I ended up with 263.5hp & 201tq, The red line shows my base run back when the car was NA (167hp) that wasnt the best one, I have no idea why he posted that one.. But it was 174hp the best NA. Maybe it was just to compare...

So roughly this engine is around 300HP at the Crank, I'm happy and its pretty much what I expected. I could probably tuned a bit more, and work with the cam timing, but thats another day

I feel embarresed posting this here, since all you ******* honda-tech guys seem to pull some pretty decent numbers with less boost...

Setup:

Stock B18b w/ P72 GSR Head
GSR Cams
YS1 LS Tranny (no lsd)
JG Vic X intake
64mm T-body
DSM 450's
2.5IC Piping
Tyrus 6in IC
Tial 50mm BOV
Zdyne Gold SECU
T3/T4 .48ex/57comp
DeltaGate
MDF Manifold
2.5dp to 3in Straight Exhaust (apexi N1)
Nology Wires
GSR Axles
GSR Stock Clutch w/ ACT Xtreme PP

Oh well, its good for my daily driver.... The built ZC should be done fairly soon

Jeff Frank
Old 04-23-2003, 02:16 PM

decent nunbers for being mainly a 'stock' motor.

when you taking the drag beast to PR ?
Old 04-23-2003, 02:19 PM

Nice numbers!

Old 04-23-2003, 02:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Racergurlie)

I bet it's a fun ride!

Good job.
Old 04-23-2003, 02:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Dyno'd Stock LS/Vtec w/ Custom Kit... (AbaZ)

those #'s in that little car must fly!! I think they are good
Old 04-23-2003, 02:42 PM

Default Re: Dyno'd Stock LS/Vtec w/ Custom Kit... (FredoSP)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by FredoSP &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">those #'s in that little car must fly!! I think they are good </TD></TR></TABLE>

Not fast enough... I'd like to be around 300 to the wheels with this setup, maybe some ITR cams, and some more adjustments, maybe a new turbo, I dunno, now I'm talking out my ***, hah

I'll be smoking my one tire at Pacific Raceways May 14th (in this car) White car will be ready in June.

Jeff Frank

Old 04-23-2003, 03:47 PM
Smarter than you

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I mean those #'s arent bad but i know what ur saying. lots of people seem to make more w/ less boost. I made the same horsepower as u w/ out a vtec head. Not dissing or anything I am just kinda curious too where ur power is goin the set up looks pretty good. any ideas?
Old 04-23-2003, 03:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's the .48 exhaust housing that's killing your #'s.

Put on a .63 and you'll be past 300 at the same boost level
Old 04-23-2003, 04:03 PM

Default Re: Dyno'd Stock LS/Vtec w/ Custom Kit... (Bryson)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bryson &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It's the .48 exhaust housing that's killing your #'s.

Put on a .63 and you'll be past 300 at the same boost level </TD></TR></TABLE>

and up the size on the size on the injectors, suggestion.

what base timin and how much u pullin per psi?
Old 04-23-2003, 04:19 PM

Default Re: Dyno'd Stock LS/Vtec w/ Custom Kit... (r4adkshn1)

looks great broly!
Old 04-23-2003, 04:34 PM

Default Re: Dyno'd Stock LS/Vtec w/ Custom Kit... (r4adkshn1)

Ya that little ******* .48ar blows ***.. But its all I have right now

Base timing was 18, running .5 retard throughout the band..

450's seemed to be doing ok, and that was also on a stock fuel pump It was a tad on the rich side on the top end 11.8 a/f. So I dont know how much more left this fuel systems got.

Jeff
Old 04-23-2003, 04:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Dyno'd Stock LS/Vtec w/ Custom Kit... (94goldjungsr)

Yeah they are unimpressive numbers... Still it will be fast. Good work
Old 04-23-2003, 04:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Dyno'd Stock LS/Vtec w/ Custom Kit... (turbozxi)

No offense but intake manifold is probably overkill for that amount of power. The stock gsr intake mani probably would have made more power. My .02$
Old 04-23-2003, 04:53 PM

Default Re: Dyno'd Stock LS/Vtec w/ Custom Kit... (SuperTeg95)

Lets just say..... I got a really smoking deal on it... right off the JG/Edlebrock truck

bwhwhahahhaa
Old 04-23-2003, 05:06 PM

Seeing posts like this gets me all excited now that i just got my stage 3 act clutch and new passanger side axle in. I just need some tires and its off to little monsters and than down to pr for some real fun

nice #'s jeff, think of it this way your a/f ratio is more than safe to redline at 11lbs. of boost and buy the way in case you havn't noticed that car's fuckn tiny and has 263@wheels, that is flat out nuts for the street. Sure 300hp to the wheels will be great, but anything over that in a front wheel drive car on the street would be pointless. Pretty hard not to smoke um through 3rd with out slicks ha ha ha great stuff!
Old 04-23-2003, 05:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yea that .48 is really holding you down hah. I have a somewhat similiar setup, built lsvtec, 750cc/zdyne gold. Its been a bitch tuning vtec for some reason, didnt have a problem with it when I had a b16 in there. My air fuel pretty much goes like this, was wondering if yours is the same. I tuned pretty much for 3 days lol, I cant get this hump to go down to 11 a/f without a significant amount of fuel (11ms @ .55bar (8psi).

I cutoff on the 2nd run for some reason, might have been the j&s picking up some knock. I was aiming for 11:1 a/f, 91 octane, 1.5deg retard.

Here's the tune:

Does it run richer at around 7400 for you? I took at a significant amount of fuel but its still down there. Do you have an a/f graph from your dyno session or was it a seperate controller/wideband?

Old 04-23-2003, 05:39 PM

Default Re: Dyno'd Stock LS/Vtec w/ Custom Kit... (LsTurbo91)

You know that was something I was kind of disipointed with, The fuel map really wasnt responding well, I tried several times to get it smooth, evertying after 7k was a nice 12.0-12.7, everything below it was ******* going all over with vtec kicking in, Is the 25hp dip on vtec engaugement normal or what? when I first started it was more like 45-60hp Dip, I tried to get most of it out, with raising vtec to 5800.

11.0 is pretty fat, I would just start pulling fuel out, and see what happens at that spot.. 1.5 timing retard, ****? Whats your base set at?

btw, what was your setup pulling... heh, I really wanted 300 at the wheels, oh well

Jeff
Old 04-23-2003, 06:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AbaZ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You know that was something I was kind of disipointed with, The fuel map really wasnt responding well, I tried several times to get it smooth, evertying after 7k was a nice 12.0-12.7, everything below it was ******* going all over with vtec kicking in, Is the 25hp dip on vtec engaugement normal or what? when I first started it was more like 45-60hp Dip, I tried to get most of it out, with raising vtec to 5800.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Hmm, well when i had a b16 didnt have any dips, not sure about the lsvtec, haven't take it to a dyno yet. Have you tried disabling vtec? What was your a/f like? Mine is pretty much at 10 heh. Don't know how people disable there vtec, tune it and then turn it on. Unless stock vs zdyne is different how its ran? Here's one of my runs without vtec pretty much the same tune, more or less.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AbaZ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
11.0 is pretty fat, I would just start pulling fuel out, and see what happens at that spot.. 1.5 timing retard, ****? Whats your base set at?

Jeff
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yea, just trying to keep it safe, 91octane owns me, as far as the timing, that will go up by 1 deg retard probably when I get my a/f straight, here's my b16 dyno previously, vtec set at 5200, no dips.

How's your vtec engagement? Now, mine if set at 5200, seems like its activating at 6k?
Old 04-23-2003, 06:17 PM

Default Re: Dyno'd Stock LS/Vtec w/ Custom Kit...

Nah, I didnt disable vtec at all, didnt really see the need? I was thinking maybe some cam timing might help out my little dip, maybe just because of the overlap?

That B16a dyno tune looks real good man.. What size turbo?

The air/fuel doesnt look too to bad on that one.. looks like low 11's to low 12's, little rich.

Ya, I'm not a big fan of massive spark timing retard
Old 04-23-2003, 07:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

AbaZ - Your setup and goals are almost the same as mine: 300 hp to the wheels
Heres my setup:
Stock b16a head / Stock b18b block
GSR cams
ITR intake manifold
MSD BTM
440cc/VAFC/FMU/Holly 255 intank
ARP head studs
InlinePro headgasket
DRAG III kit with T3/T04E .63 a/r turbine .60 trim comp.

The compression with the head gasket is low - 8.6:1 I was looking to make 300 whp @ around 14 psi Think it will happen at that boost level?
Old 04-23-2003, 08:04 PM
TurboJesse

Default Re: Dyno'd Stock LS/Vtec w/ Custom Kit... (Chrome Pipes)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Chrome Pipes &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">AbaZ - Your setup and goals are almost the same as mine: 300 hp to the wheels
Heres my setup:
Stock b16a head / Stock b18b block
GSR cams
ITR intake manifold
MSD BTM
440cc/VAFC/FMU/Holly 255 intank
ARP head studs
InlinePro headgasket
DRAG III kit with T3/T04E .63 a/r turbine .60 trim comp.

The compression with the head gasket is low - 8.6:1 I was looking to make 300 whp @ around 14 psi Think it will happen at that boost level? </TD></TR></TABLE>

why not just keep stock headgasket and make 300whp @10psi?
Old 04-23-2003, 08:41 PM
New User

Default Re: Dyno'd Stock LS/Vtec w/ Custom Kit... (Mpir3)

your torque curve looks great. nice and flat
Old 04-23-2003, 09:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AbaZ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Lets just say..... I got a really smoking deal on it... right off the JG/Edlebrock truck

bwhwhahahhaa
</TD></TR></TABLE>

I know what you mean...
Old 04-23-2003, 11:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AbaZ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Nah, I didnt disable vtec at all, didnt really see the need? I was thinking maybe some cam timing might help out my little dip, maybe just because of the overlap?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Nah, was just seeing how if I can tune it first without vtec and then run it with vtec, since I've heard people tuning it that way. Doesn't really work in my case, it runs real lean. So unless our ecu differs from rest how it compensate's vtec, it doesnt work.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AbaZ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
That B16a dyno tune looks real good man.. What size turbo?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

yea, suprisingly i didnt really even have time to mess with the a/f on the dyno, was messing with timing mostly. The turbo I use to run was a 50trim-63a/r_stg3 turbine.

The air/fuel doesnt look too to bad on that one.. looks like low 11's to low 12's, little rich.

Ya, I'm not a big fan of massive spark timing retard </TD></TR></TABLE>

I know what you mean, but I've learned my lesson with timing heh. Im already running low compression (8.8) but I'm still scared to bump up the timing. I plan to run 15psi on pump, hence the very conservative tune. I tried less boost and more timing the last motor and didnt do too well, haha, so I'll just keep it safe. I'll mess with the timing and 12-13:1 a/f when i run c16 at the track.
Old 04-24-2003, 06:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Dyno'd Stock LS/Vtec w/ Custom Kit... (LsTurbo91)

AbaZ - Could get me one of those B16A JG/Victor X manifolds? I am looking high and low for one with no luck. Nice numbers thou.
I too have the Zdyne Gold ecu and find I too have a issue with tuning the high end aswell. I used to have 450cc injectors, now I have changed my setup from non vtec to LS/Vtec with 750cc injectors. I am hoping for 400+. LsTurbo91 how does your car idle with these injectors? Did you have any problems tuning it for driveability with 750cc injectors? Is she toxic to stand beside (gas fumes out of tailpipes)? What is your setup if you don't mind me asking, and how much hp are you expecting?

Quick Reply: Dyno'd Stock LS/Vtec w/ Custom Kit...