Notices

Dyno Dyanmics vs Dynapack

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 11:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dyno Dyanmics vs Dynapack 650 whp

Special thanks to Chris at xenocron.com for the dyno pulls! I just wanted to check what my power output was on another dyno for all the people telling me that I dont have 650whp cause it was on a dynapack. Anyways onto the graphs. Also psi was at 27 on the dynamics and 28 on the dynapack.

Modified by blueshark123 at 12:46 PM 12/11/2007
Old 12-11-2007, 11:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Nice, I wa told of this test last week when I was up in PA on the Dynopack, glad to see some dispute settled.
Old 12-11-2007, 12:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Dyno Dyanmics vs Dynapack 650 whp (blueshark123)

Why does your dd say flywheel power?

My dd awd reads about 15% lower than a dj. Mine runs the dos though.
Old 12-11-2007, 01:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Xenocron, is that the new windows DD software? How is it compared to the older dos stuff? (we're still stuck on the dos stuff, its a steep upgrade) It sounds pretty cool!

On topic, we've seen between 12% to 16% lower uncorrected numbers from our dyno dynamics and a couple of other dynojets in our same area (usually around 15%).

What ramp rate did you guys use on the dyno dynamics, and what was the run length on the dynapack? The ramp rate can make a big difference in peak #'s. Also, what were the correction factors?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SEFIxCivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Why does your dd say flywheel power?

My dd awd reads about 15% lower than a dj. Mine runs the dos though.</TD></TR></TABLE>

werd
Old 12-11-2007, 06:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Dyno Dyanmics vs Dynapack 650 whp (blueshark123)

It looks like you are using the shootout mode on the dyno dynamics. Which shows a high number. I know because I tune on one on a regular basis. Shootout mode usually reads about 15% higher.
Old 12-11-2007, 06:56 PM

i know for a fact the DD that i tune on reads 13% lower than the dynojet down the street..

but its the old dos software also..

the new software i bet u can tweak the numbers to make them Jeff Evans style numbers lol

Modified by THEDirtyDseriesWOOT at 7:06 PM 12/12/2007
Old 12-11-2007, 07:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (THEDirtyDseriesWOOT)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by THEDirtyDseriesWOOT &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the new software i bet u can tweak the numbers to make them Jeff Evans style numbers lol</TD></TR></TABLE>

We have our fair share of our own cars and customers' cars running at the track the mph they should be for the power they are making.
Old 12-11-2007, 07:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Andrea)

900+ hp and only 159 traps doesnt equal up. there are plent of people who have made 800 on a dynojet and went that mph.

dyno-jet is the industry standard for a reason.
Old 12-11-2007, 07:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Ef Si)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ef Si &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">900+ hp and only 159 traps doesnt equal up. there are plent of people who have made 800 on a dynojet and went that mph.

dyno-jet is the industry standard for a reason. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Also never said we ran 45lbs of boost (900hp) down the track either. We couldn't get the car to hook with 40lbs, no need to turn it up more. At 40lbs it was a bit closer to 840whp, which is about where most competitive SFWD cars are horsepower wise. Before we even put the GT42R on the CRX, it was running the Turbonetics GT-K 850 and made 680whp on the dyno. We ran consistent 149-152mph at that power level.

Some other examples:

A car making ~295whp on the dyno in a 2050lb chassis running 124-125mph.
A car making ~410whp on the dyno in a 2350lb chassis running 127-128mph.
Several cars making ~550-575whp on the dyno weighing approx. 2400-2500lbs running 138-143mph.

I can list tons of 'proof' that they are legitimate numbers, but people will believe what they want, so it really doesn't matter.
Old 12-11-2007, 08:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Ef Si)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ef Si &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">dyno-jet is the industry standard for a reason. </TD></TR></TABLE>

The reason is that its the cheapest dyno you can buy. I know, because I bought one thinking with the same logic as you. After the warranty was up, I sold the thing and bought a dynapack (was a toss up between that and a dyno dynamics 2wd), and I don't regret dumping the dynojet.

Regardless, everyone will think what they want, and the main thing to remember is that it is just a tool, and the better your tool works, the more women you get, er, the better you can do your job.
Old 12-12-2007, 04:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Andrea)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Andrea &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Also never said we ran 45lbs of boost (900hp) down the track either. We couldn't get the car to hook with 40lbs, no need to turn it up more. At 40lbs it was a bit closer to 840whp, which is about where most competitive SFWD cars are horsepower wise. Before we even put the GT42R on the CRX, it was running the Turbonetics GT-K 850 and made 680whp on the dyno. We ran consistent 149-152mph at that power level.

Some other examples:

A car making ~295whp on the dyno in a 2050lb chassis running 124-125mph.
A car making ~410whp on the dyno in a 2350lb chassis running 127-128mph.
Several cars making ~550-575whp on the dyno weighing approx. 2400-2500lbs running 138-143mph.

I can list tons of 'proof' that they are legitimate numbers, but people will believe what they want, so it really doesn't matter. </TD></TR></TABLE>

got a friend dyno'd high 500's in a 2400lb car trapping 141 off your dyno, so you are accurate IMO
Old 12-12-2007, 04:25 AM

We have a DD here at the shop and have heard everything from it is 200hp LOW to it is 300hp HIGH.

Mose people are too stupid to even argue with...
Old 12-12-2007, 05:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (CarterRace.com)

The DD was on shootout mode and I trapped 122-124 on my pump gas tune with my pig dc5 chassis
Old 12-12-2007, 05:15 AM

I actually went to a dyno day at Chris' shop and IMO (and a bunch of others) it read quite high. Every car that dynoed that day got the same reaction, "Wow that made more power than we thought." Again, IMO, judging by the cars that I actually had been in and the one stock car that dynoed, it read AT LEAST 10% high.
Old 12-12-2007, 06:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (AWDstylez)

I have seen way to many issues with dyno dynamics units to warrant their cost. As far as the numbers go, they are dependent on what the end user puts in as a correction factor, you can make it read whatever you damn well please. I would rather use a dynapack over a dyno dynamaics unit any day. At the end of the day, there is nothing wrong with a dyno-jet. You cant say its because they are the cheapest out there, they have a great reputation and their product is consistant.
Old 12-12-2007, 06:50 AM

Well, there is something wrong with a dynojet.

For one thing, any time you spin a 2,000lb drum you are never going to have the resolution and control of a small drum (or no drum).

The other problem with the DJ design is that a large haevy roller will become EASIER to move once it is rolling...this is the ONE of the reasons a dynojet reads higher then it should.

No load control is another MAJOR MAJOR factor...in fact, if you 'tune' on a non load control dynojet, you shouldn't be allowed to charge people.

Those are not even the worst parts of a DJ...should I go on?
Old 12-12-2007, 06:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That's right, can't tune on a dynojet. My car is proof of that, imagine what it would run if someone tuned it on a DD!

You can not deny that Dynojet's readings are more consistent from dyno to dyno than any other dyno out there. The numbers can easily be manipulated on most any other dyno. I know for a fact the local DD has manipulated their numbers to mimic dynojet numbers, they told me they did it because they got tired of customers being disappointed in their power numbers. Like it or not, Dynojet numbers are the standard that everything is compared against.

I'm not saying it's the best dyno out, it's definitely not, but they do the job and are consistent from dyno to dyno.
Old 12-12-2007, 11:21 AM

For consistency, I disagree...look at the dyno shootouts they hold in Australia...they are all on DD dynos and never have a problem...in fact, in DD shootout mode, NOTHING can be changed and EVERYTHING is recorded right onto the graph.

A race car can be tuned on a DJ....daily driver is much much harder.
Old 12-12-2007, 11:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Pardon my ignorance, i'm not that familiar with the DD software, but what is the shootout mode? What's different about it? Is that the mode that's typically used?

My comparison of dyno numbers is not about the accuracy of the dynos, but the ability to see large variations in numbers from dyno to dyno, and that's because of user variables.
Old 12-12-2007, 12:23 PM

blah

Modified by THEDirtyDseriesWOOT at 7:07 PM 12/12/2007
Old 12-12-2007, 12:42 PM

The old dos based DDs have shootout mode.

Basically, it locks all 'operator error' out of the run...all of the settings are printed on the graph and all the 'correction' factor is FIXED.

Any single dyno can be made to read up or down, just like anything in life....stupid people will always find a way to mess things up or cheat them.

DD states that in shootout mode all of there dynos will read within 1% of each other.
Old 12-12-2007, 05:49 PM

how do you make it go into shootout mode&gt; just wondering so i can let my tuners play around with it
Old 12-12-2007, 06:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sounds like they should all be locked in shoot out mode. lol
Old 12-12-2007, 06:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (tony1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tony1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">That's right, can't tune on a dynojet. My car is proof of that, imagine what it would run if someone tuned it on a DD!

You can not deny that Dynojet's readings are more consistent from dyno to dyno than any other dyno out there. The numbers can easily be manipulated on most any other dyno. I know for a fact the local DD has manipulated their numbers to mimic dynojet numbers, they told me they did it because they got tired of customers being disappointed in their power numbers. Like it or not, Dynojet numbers are the standard that everything is compared against.

I'm not saying it's the best dyno out, it's definitely not, but they do the job and are consistent from dyno to dyno. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I agree, we had to do the same thing with our MD dyno, as ours at one point was very low(20hp off on N/A) due a bad load cell, then after it was installed, it seemed to high. so i took a stock 5 speed FWD to 2 of my friends dynojets, made 3 pulls on each got an average.

went back to ours, and set up the correstion factor to equal the mean of the other dynos. i can go in a change to factory settings but i am just not very happy with how they were reading. i would rather a guy win a race with a 300hp turbo civic that realy made 325 than have a guy lose a race with a turbo civic that showed 450 but only made 350, ya know.

all in all it is just OUR tool for measuring(actually only estimating) HP,
Old 12-12-2007, 07:26 PM
Corr Performance Pilot

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by THEDirtyDseriesWOOT &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">how do you make it go into shootout mode&gt; just wondering so i can let my tuners play around with it
</TD></TR></TABLE>we've already played around with it, homie. you were just too busy drinking beer all the time to notice it.

Quick Reply: Dyno Dyanmics vs Dynapack