Notices

DX_JDM_HATCH Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2013, 10:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DX_JDM_HATCH Build Thread

Please feel free, which I know you guys will regardless of mine or anyone else emotional stability, to comment negative or otherwise. I really don't know most of you so my feelings won't be hurt. With that being said I do respect a lot of you that I don't even know for my own reasons so please give me your guys / gals opinions. I'm a big boy and can take it.

This build has been going on for a little over 2 years now. I've been slowly saving and buying parts here and there. With 3 kids a wife and mortgage it took relatively long time for a pretty basic build.

As some of you know I purchased this motor, B18C1 fully built by Cortney Green, for a SMOKING deal and I basically got a complete rolling shell for free with it. So we can get on this topic of bought not built but I don't care. I had just wrecked my EG hatch and was in the market for a new car and this one came up.

The guy I bought it from had a vision of a legit race car with the ability to drive it on the street. I'm going the complete opposite. I building a legit street machine. This car will be on the street as much as possible. Maybe a couple times on track to see how bad I suck...

I'm not sure how to keep members interested in following this or commenting on this. Should I just post up the entire build from when I started to where it sits now? Or should I make post a day building up to where it's at now.

I've read a crap load of build threads and I know which ones interest me and which ones don't. So how do you like to see or what keeps you interested in a build thread. What do you want to know? More pics less talk? Try something new. I'll either get laughed at, flamed or members might be interested.

So to get it rolling..

Motor setup:
-B18c1 block Golden Eagle sleeved to 84mm
-Ls/B20 crankshaft balanced and polished
-Clevite race bearings
-Eagle rods
-Wiesco 84mm 10.5:1 cp
-GE headgasket
-GE head studs
-B16 Head,cumbustion chambers opened to 84mm and polished
-Supertec valve train
-OEM GSR water and oil pumps and also timing belt
-Victor X
-68mm STR throttle body
-AEM fuel rail
-Aeromotive FPR
-ACT Xtreme street clutch
-Neptune ecu with launch controll and shift light.

So this is how it started.
Attached Images         
Old 09-20-2013, 11:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: DX_JDM_HATCH Build Thread

Turbo setup that I just finished and had tuned about a month ago.

Turbo Element manifold
Precision 5858 T4 .70 a/r
Tial 44MM MVR wig
3" open DP
2.5" charge
Precision 600 FMIC
Tial 50mm Q bov

Fuel setup
Walbro 400lph intake
Stock lines to/from firewall
-6 Fragola feed/return
Holley 10mic filter
Bosch 1000's
Aeromotive FPR

I'm sure I'm forgetting something.

Now do you want to know the journey from start to finish? Or it really doesn't matter?
Old 09-21-2013, 05:21 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by DX_JDM_HATCH
Turbo setup that I just finished and had tuned about a month ago.

Turbo Element manifold
Precision 5858 T4 .70 a/r
Tial 44MM MVR wig
3" open DP
2.5" charge
Precision 600 FMIC
Tial 50mm Q bov

Fuel setup
Walbro 400lph intake
Stock lines to/from firewall
-6 Fragola feed/return
Holley 10mic filter
Bosch 1000's
Aeromotive FPR

I'm sure I'm forgetting something.

Now do you want to know the journey from start to finish? Or it really doesn't matter?
^^This other setup is un-interesting. Yours actually seemed to have some promise here.

When you mean "street machine", what turbocharger are you looking at to do this? Does this street machine also have particular suspension upgrades? what was your reasoning behind doing and choosing the parts the way you did?

Don't worry about the "built, not bought" people that phrase that. They have no mortgage, kids, or anything of the like, so its mainly used as an excuse because they have nothing else better to do than to only build a car, that's all. ... Unless they're retired.
Old 09-21-2013, 07:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the interest. I guess the term street machine should be used lightly. What I mean is that it won't see track time. Just a lot of street pulls and runs. I wanted to build something that I could drive all the time.

Current suspension is tokico blues with H&R race springs. I am currently at this time researching the best setup for DDing.

Again I know the turbo setup is pretty boring the reason I choose what I did was based off a few things. HP goals / money being the biggest.

I wasn't looking to make a whole crap ton of power. I was looking for 400-500hp. I wanted something that could go out and stomp on a few. I am for the most part happy with how it turned out. This is all new to me so looking back there are a few things I would change. I wish I didn't rush into the turbocharger being the number one thing.

I went with the fuel setup I did because the original plan was to run E85 but the station closest to me stopped selling it. Which if I'm correct you're not a huge fan of anyways lol. So just tuned on pump and race gas.
Attached Images           
Old 09-21-2013, 07:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

TheShodan what changes or where do you see this not right? You've been doing this a very long time as well as others. I'm the old shy guy so this is stepping out of my comfort zone. So I do like the convo and would like to know where I could or could have improved? I OCD on things and like to do my own research and not ask a whole lot of questions. The problem that I was finding is this scene is so saturated now that on every part of this build when I would research things out I would get a ton of people doing it one way and the same amount of people saying that is wrong so I'm finding myself trying to figure out the best solution with what I was reading or what made the most sense.

So a lot of it was trying to find what people were doing that had the similar goals as I did and see if that would work for me. Doing this for the first time it was hard to figure out what was true and what wasn't.
Old 09-21-2013, 08:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I don't know if I mentioned but I DD this car at least 400-500 sometimes more a week.