Notices

Dumptube question>>>>>>>

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2005, 11:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dumptube question>>>>>>>

Should I dump the dumptube back into the turbo downpipe or just have it point dowward so that the fumes go out the bottom of the engine bay???

Which one is better and why??

Thanks
Old 07-14-2005, 12:12 AM

Default Re: Dumptube question>>>>>>> (G-Phi)

some are gonna say reroute it back in some are gonna say let it dump into the open.

i leave let mine dump straight down from the Tial, i don't get fumes too bad unless i'm boosting a lot. its all personal prefference, i love the sound of Tial opening up, its sickening, others hate it. If you do route it back in i think its best to route it into the down pipe at least 24" inches down or so.
Old 07-14-2005, 12:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

run it open and see if you like the sound...if you don't extend it and bring it into the dp...you only lose like 1% or something like that...good luck
Old 07-14-2005, 03:14 AM

Default Re: (lucidvtec)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by lucidvtec &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">run it open and see if you like the sound...if you don't extend it and bring it into the dp...you only lose like 1% or something like that...good luck</TD></TR></TABLE>

Just what I was gonna say. I,m on open dump. It sounds alright, not too loud.
Old 07-14-2005, 06:58 AM

Default Re: (95GSRT)

My open dumptube makes my d16z6 sound like it actually has vtec! lol, it's pretty sweet. It's very loud and mean sounding.
Old 07-14-2005, 07:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I left mine open and it wasn't nearly as loud as I thought it would be. I got some flexible exhaust piping (autozone) and attached it to my dumptube to route it under the car so that I don't smell any exhaust fumes.
Old 07-14-2005, 07:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Just make sure it's long enough so your turbo's inlet isnt sucking in those hot exhaust gasses...
Old 07-14-2005, 07:17 AM

Default Re: (beerbongskickass)

open dump - mean sounding, a little bit better power

closed dump - emissions friendly, quieter, won't leave soot anywhere either under the car or in the bay
Old 07-14-2005, 08:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (adseguy)

open dump is the way to go
Old 07-14-2005, 10:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I've "closed looped" all of my turbo cars... I hate the open WG sound and the performance difference is negligible. I love to be able to hear the turbo spool sound in high RPMs, and it makes it a ton easier for me to hear the car pinging.

Old 07-15-2005, 11:16 AM

Thanks for all of your replies. I just don't want it to be noisey and I don't want my engine bay to be dirty as hell, like it is now from all the exhaust from the wastegate.

Thanks!
Old 07-15-2005, 11:46 AM
something different

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

on my setup i actually ran a separate "exhaust system" for my dump....i goes behind the drivers headlight, down through the hole, and then shoots out the bumper. i love it.. and it only gets the one wheel a bit sooty. when it opens, it sounds very menacing.
Old 07-15-2005, 01:49 PM

Default Re: (redzcstandardhatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by redzcstandardhatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i actually ran a separate "exhaust system" for my dump</TD></TR></TABLE>

also known as a dumptube.
Old 07-15-2005, 01:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by redzcstandardhatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">on my setup i actually ran a separate "exhaust system" for my dump....i goes behind the drivers headlight, down through the hole, and then shoots out the bumper. i love it.. and it only gets the one wheel a bit sooty. when it opens, it sounds very menacing. </TD></TR></TABLE>
got any pics? I've seen some bumper exit setups before and they alway look hot
Old 07-15-2005, 02:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by redzcstandardhatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">on my setup i actually ran a separate "exhaust system" for my dump....i goes behind the drivers headlight, down through the hole, and then shoots out the bumper. i love it.. and it only gets the one wheel a bit sooty. when it opens, it sounds very menacing. </TD></TR></TABLE>

get any flames?
Old 07-15-2005, 02:43 PM

Default Re: (N20civicB18)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by N20civicB18 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

get any flames?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Not really from the dumptube.
Old 07-15-2005, 03:52 PM
something different

Default Re: (Chip)

uh, yes, it shoots flames from the dumptube out the bumper when its hot out...(runs richer)

only if it hits the revlimiter...i have it tuned really rich up there.

and i didnt call it a dumptube because its pretty much a separate exhaust system.. i know what a dumptube is
Old 07-15-2005, 04:03 PM

a dumptube is a seperate exhaust system for your wastegate sometimes they route the dumptube back into the exhaust, sometimes they route it to the rear axel, or under the floor, or leave it in the engine bay, or sometimes they take it all the way out to the muffler tips, i've even seen someone put it in thier bumper

sematics &gt; j00

i'm just kidding around dude
Old 07-15-2005, 04:08 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by redzcstandardhatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">uh, yes, it shoots flames from the dumptube out the bumper when its hot out...(runs richer)

only if it hits the revlimiter...i have it tuned really rich up there.

and i didnt call it a dumptube because its pretty much a separate exhaust system.. i know what a dumptube is </TD></TR></TABLE>

My setup didn't, and that's what I was going by. What size of gate are you running.
Old 07-15-2005, 06:21 PM

straight down, not into the downpipe, you'll lose a lit' hp if you tie it back into the DP due to back pressure.
Old 07-15-2005, 10:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Dumptube question>>>>>>> (HoopsShaw)

tie it back in at least 18 inches from the turbo and run it in a collector not just tee it in. You will not loose any horsepower from backpressure unless your exhaust is to small to begin with, The reason people dont tie them in is it takes time to do it right and some people like the sound
Old 07-16-2005, 02:46 AM
something different

yeah, i wasnt upset or anything...

just running a deltagate until this winter. daily driven, so i made it "safe" tuning wise, didnt want to blow it, no time to change the engine.

it only shoots flames when the engine and the weather are really hot and i bump the revlimiter. i thought about tying the wastegate into the exhaust, but for some reason i really like the sound. with a longer dumptube, it sounds cleaner, and it just frees up the exhaust a bit more.
Old 07-16-2005, 07:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by redzcstandardhatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">with a longer dumptube, it just frees up the exhaust a bit more. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Longer dump restricts the exhaust flow.
Old 07-17-2005, 06:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Tchleung)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Tchleung &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Longer dump restricts the exhaust flow.</TD></TR></TABLE>

if you are not getting boost creap then it dont matter
Old 07-27-2005, 12:51 PM

Default Wastegate Dumptube

I finally found the piping size I needed, 1 3/8 inch for my Tial wastegate flange. I bought 2 U bends from a shop off off the internet. They came pretty quick.

I took my car to a muffler shop and got my wastegate relocated. I put a elbow bend pipe (bending to the right) coming from the turbo exhaust manifold, connected that to a straight pipe with a flange at the end, connted to the wastegate. The straight pipe is held in place by a bracket that is welded to it and connected to the engine so that my wastegate moves with my engine. Then the dumptube piping was ran down so that the exhuast fumes go out of the car.

At first my wastegate still rubbed against a very small part off the inside webbing of my hood just a bit. So, I endend up going to the 99 cent store and buying a rubber mallet to pound it in just a bit so that it wouldn't touch my wastegate.

Overall, it is soooo much better and it's one of the things that I appreciate that I did. No more of the inside of my engine bay or the inside of my hood getting black. No more of that, "Shhhhhhhh" sound when I'm boosting. It's sound a lot better and I'm very happy that I got my wastegate relocated and a dump tube on it. Now all I need is to get my engine bay steam cleaned and I should be pretty much set.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions!!

Quick Reply: Dumptube question>>>>>>>