Notices

Dumb Q about wideband/uberdata

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2004, 08:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dumb Q about wideband/uberdata

Do i need a wideband to tune my car with uberdata. I'm confused, i've read post where i saw you need one and i see some where they don't mentiona wideband at all. Btw what does a wideband do? Any info or help would be great.
Old 07-01-2004, 09:09 PM

Default Re: Dumb Q about wideband/uberdata (uptownrickyv)

Well a wideband just replaces your stock O2 sensor. your stock O2 have limited reading capabilites (lean, rich, and stoich). a wideband catches more info (very lean, lean, a little lean, very rich...etc etc). Uberdata doesn't need this but you can't effectivly tune by yourself without one. you might want to get an EGT gauge too since that tells you if your engine is running hot (bad) or cold (also bad). With both an EGT gauge (~$150) and a wideband 02 (~$350) you can tune all day long by yourslef. Or you can go to a dyno shop and they can let you borrow an 02 sensor and help you tune as well. What's the point of that though if you are trying to save money by DIY. If you spend the $500 now for both and tune yourself you can street dyno all day and get real street results. then go on the dyno for like one or two pulls to get a WHP reading. That's what I'd do ...just my .02

You really should get an EGT and wideband if you are DIY though. goodluck bro...
Old 07-01-2004, 09:22 PM

Default Re: Dumb Q about wideband/uberdata (adseguy)

Thanks that helped alot. Also how would i install/use the wideband. Does it connect to my laptop and car? Does it just plug in where your o2 sensor is on your cat? Sorry for the dumb questions, i just want to get all the info i need before i start everything.

Modified by uptownrickyv at 6:46 AM 7/2/2004
Old 07-01-2004, 11:06 PM

YES, you need the wideband. I can't tell you how much better off you will be with the wideband. Tuning without it is tuning blind.
Old 07-02-2004, 05:13 AM

You can't 'Tune' a car without a wideband, period. If you attempt it then your a fool
Old 07-02-2004, 05:49 AM

Default Re: Dumb Q about wideband/uberdata (swlabhot)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by uptownrickyv &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Thanks that helped alot. Also how would i install/use the wideband. Does it connect to my laptop and car? Does it just plug in where your o2 sensor is on your cat? Sorry for the dumb questions, i just want to get all the info i need before i start everything.

Modified by uptownrickyv at 6:46 AM 7/2/2004</TD></TR></TABLE>
That is a good question, but hard to answer. From what I know because I am still searching in that exact question. There are many solutions from what I can tell. Options include connecting the lines directly to your ECU with a few resistors or what not. You can by a kit that includes a managment box to not only monitor on the laptop but also transmit info for the ECU as well because remember even if you get a wideband the ECU only reads lean, rich, or stoich from the O2 sensor. You could also connect it to a led display which shows you the reading.

I think for the $350 I'm going to get one that comes with a LED display as well so I can see the results. I'm still a little confused as to how Uberdata reads it from there, but that's not a question for here. PGFMI.org or the uberdata forums. I know these questions have been answered, just search for it. I'll see if I can get a link for yah later on to help us out.

Modified by adseguy at 5:02 PM 7/2/2004
Old 07-02-2004, 06:09 AM

I got my PLX M-300 (with display) for $275 shipped a few weeks ago. Email president@forced-air.com if you're interested.
Old 07-02-2004, 06:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You can datalog with Uberdata from your ECU. But I think you need a wideband with datalogging capability to be able to read the wideband data. Like you said, the ECU only reads narrowband.

There's also tuning/data logging software available to read all kind of data. One is Auto Dyno software, it really looks great. But it seems that noone has experience with it on this board.

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=900943
Old 07-02-2004, 06:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Dumb Q about wideband/uberdata (Mad Cow)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mad Cow &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I got my PLX M-300 (with display) for $275 shipped a few weeks ago. Email president@forced-air.com if you're interested.</TD></TR></TABLE>

On the website it's $320,00 shipped. Do we get a special price if we mail president@forced-air.com?
Old 07-02-2004, 07:09 AM

Default Re: Dumb Q about wideband/uberdata (JOeS)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JOeS &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You can datalog with Uberdata from your ECU. But I think you need a wideband with datalogging capability to be able to read the wideband data. Like you said, the ECU only reads narrowband.</TD></TR></TABLE>

The ECU reads 0-3.xx volts, which correlates to 10:1-17.x:1 a/f ratios. The stock ECU will log wideband data just fine.

Don't buy from the PLX website, buy from a distributor. Follow the directions above if you're interested. Tell Jayson that Chris sent you.
Old 07-02-2004, 07:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Dumb Q about wideband/uberdata (JOeS)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JOeS &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

On the website it's $320,00 shipped. Do we get a special price if we mail president@forced-air.com?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes. And if you read the main page - it says if you create an account price will decrease. Its like $289 after you register.
Old 07-02-2004, 09:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Dumb Q about wideband/uberdata (MachAF)

Too bad that I can't register because I'm not from the US...
Old 07-02-2004, 10:24 AM

Default Re: Dumb Q about wideband/uberdata (MachAF)

I ordered most of my turbo parts from jayson, so i'll probably order my wideband from him also. Back to the topic... if anyone can tell me how i use my wideband etc.
Old 07-02-2004, 11:02 AM

I've found that honda-tech isn't the best place for that question. Go here. i thought it was EXTREMLY helpful.

http://www.ecimulti.org/uberdata/forum/
or here
http://www.boosted-hybrid.com/viewtopic.php?t=50

Also use the search option or just browse for a few hours on these sites. I've found that just browsing and reading is best because different problems can pop up later that you have to answer. . READ READ READ...that's the key

Modified by adseguy at 8:23 PM 7/2/2004