Dual-Sequential Chargers

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2005, 12:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

oh my bad, I didnt notice it sits under the intake manifold or basically is the intake manifold.
Old 06-30-2005, 06:18 PM

On the supercharger clutch issue.... I'm thinking it may still be a good idea, if it's not too much work. My thinking? You mention that you get 18psi at a tad over 4000rpm, but it seems you could get more boost earlier by spinning the supercharger to 15psi (more may be possible) and then cut it out at a set rpm (say 4500) to keep its life up and not go supersonic. That would really make some huge low end torque. Seems the supercharger would never engage under full-throttle, high rpm runs, only disengage once then engage under mild conditions. It would need to be rpm based, so the clutch won't try to activate under high rpm deceleration, between shifts, etc. Just a thought. I LOVE what you've done with your motor!
Old 06-30-2005, 07:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (b13bliss)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by b13bliss &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">On the supercharger clutch issue.... I'm thinking it may still be a good idea, if it's not too much work. My thinking? You mention that you get 18psi at a tad over 4000rpm, but it seems you could get more boost earlier by spinning the supercharger to 15psi (more may be possible) and then cut it out at a set rpm (say 4500) to keep its life up and not go supersonic. That would really make some huge low end torque. Seems the supercharger would never engage under full-throttle, high rpm runs, only disengage once then engage under mild conditions. It would need to be rpm based, so the clutch won't try to activate under high rpm deceleration, between shifts, etc. Just a thought. I LOVE what you've done with your motor!</TD></TR></TABLE>

I thought about that, but it would have to be pretty complicated to get it not to engage/disengage at the wrong time (I'd hate to see what would happen if it tried to engage if the blower was at a dead stop and the engine was turning at 8000 RPM) and still stay engaged when I wanted it to, I'd probably need to program a controller for it. It just didn't seem worth it for the gains I would get. Pretty much the same reason I scrapped the Hobbs switch/boost control relay bypass valve controller I built for it, it was just simpler to use a MBC and make a feedback loop to control the valve. I'm trying to keep it as uncomplicated and reliable as I can.

On an unrelated note, I got my adjustable cam gears here on the table in front of me and my new non-jury-rigged bypass valve actuator is supposed to be here Tuesday morning, so hopefully I can get it back on the dyno on Tuesday and generate some new numbers with it. I've been having fun on the street with it, I need to get this thing to an autox, I bet I could show up some WRX's with it.
Old 06-30-2005, 07:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (rmcdaniels)

how did you make thoughs pulls with no sparkplug wires???????????????? J/K
F()&lt;I&lt;ing sweet rodger!!!!!!!!!!
i've been keeping an eye out for this, but the carolinahondas site is dead.
Carolina represent!!
Old 06-30-2005, 08:22 PM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

A correctly set up twincharger. Brilliant .
Old 06-30-2005, 08:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same idea about 4 years ago but never had the $$ to make it happen. I'm so glad someone had the opportunity to make this all work! Good luck on the tuning & please keep us posted!!!
Old 07-03-2005, 12:07 PM

Default Re: (HYREV2NR)

lol, dude, you are so great in the mind when it comes to your whole set up then you say, "holy ****, I completely forgot about vtec". lmfao, omg, I had tears in my eyes when I read that. You would definitely get more low end and a better fill overall in your whole rpm range from setting the vtec crossover at around 3300-3500 rpm. Mine jrsc set up has my vtec crossing over at 3500 and it made a world of difference on my dyno graph, down low, and all the way to the top when changed that low. Would you have enough oil pressure at 3000 rpm? I'm not sure, but if you do, by all means, place that VTACK at 3000, lol. Keep us updated.

ps

I like your new name BxCrx91, lol.
Old 07-03-2005, 12:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Dual-Sequential Chargers (coptzer)

none of the videos work
Old 07-03-2005, 01:06 PM

pics and vids not working but this sounds great i always wondered bout this set up and im glad i finally see one up n running. hope to see some new pics n vids up.
Old 07-03-2005, 03:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (glumboy)

if you think about WHY you can set vtec low with a supercharger, you will realize that it WONT work with the turbo cloging up the exhaust.
Old 07-03-2005, 03:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sorry about the pics and vids, apparently I have a transfer limit on the account I host them on. I'll move them somewhere else.
Old 07-03-2005, 03:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (JDogg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDogg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if you think about WHY you can set vtec low with a supercharger, you will realize that it WONT work with the turbo cloging up the exhaust.</TD></TR></TABLE>

But we could probably see some gains from adjusting the cam timing, right?
Old 07-03-2005, 04:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Pics and vids should be fixed now.
Old 07-03-2005, 04:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rmcdaniels &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Sorry about the pics and vids, apparently I have a transfer limit on the account I host them on. I'll move them somewhere else.</TD></TR></TABLE>

If when I get home tomorrow you dont have a new host I will rehost everything for you.

-- 0x64
Old 07-03-2005, 05:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I didnt read the whole post and I dont know if this has been answered yet, but where are your spark plug wires going too? It doesnt look like they are connected to the cap?

Please explain.

-Nick
Old 07-03-2005, 09:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Probs for you man... nice job on the setup..
Old 07-03-2005, 10:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (Ringbearer020)

You should definately put a little nitrous on there too .... and then convert it to AWD ....

And then go around making bets with people that you have a " Super Turbo Nitrous Powered AWD honda" .... and then it will pay for its self.
Old 07-03-2005, 11:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (jDMJeRk)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jDMJeRk &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I didnt read the whole post and I dont know if this has been answered yet, but where are your spark plug wires going too? It doesnt look like they are connected to the cap?

Please explain.

-Nick</TD></TR></TABLE>

I use a coil-on-plug (COP) setup. I have an ignition coil on each plug and my ECU fires each cylinder individually. I only use the distributor for a reference signal for my ECU.
Old 07-04-2005, 02:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rmcdaniels &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I use a coil-on-plug (COP) setup. I have an ignition coil on each plug and my ECU fires each cylinder individually. I only use the distributor for a reference signal for my ECU.</TD></TR></TABLE>
what management system uses that setup?
Old 07-04-2005, 06:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (jDMJeRk)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jDMJeRk &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
what management system uses that setup?</TD></TR></TABLE>

AEM EMS with AEM CDI. I also have the Hall effect cam trigger setup from Tony1, but I haven't installed it yet. That will let me get rid of my distributor completely.
Old 07-04-2005, 11:20 AM

thanks for fixing the pics and vid its a sick setup i wonder if i could do that with my sohc vtec. wish my bov would sound like that i got the same one haha.
Old 07-04-2005, 12:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (glumboy)

Thats only the 3rd time I've EVER seen that. The First was on a Freightliner rig goin for a landspeed record...2nd was a 5.0 mustang in some magazine that was only 400hp. Damn unique set up man. x's 76
Old 07-04-2005, 02:52 PM

Default Re: Dual-Sequential Chargers (rmcdaniels)

Awesome set up man! You did what I was thinking of doing. I actually found out about this thread when I posted a question if anyone has actually done this thing.

I am thinking of doing this to a 2.3 Liter H22 engine which currently has a JRSC, and so far from reading your thread, the part that I don't fully understand is the bypass job that you did. Is it possible for you to draw a diagram of what you did and post it here? I think it will help me understand it better.

My other question is, what about your ECU/Engine management, did you have to make any kind of adjustments due to this set up? What are you using for your EMS? Thanks in advance for any advice.
Old 07-04-2005, 03:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Dual-Sequential Chargers (2point3h22lude)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 2point3h22lude &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Awesome set up man! You did what I was thinking of doing. I actually found out about this thread when I posted a question if anyone has actually done this thing.

I am thinking of doing this to a 2.3 Liter H22 engine which currently has a JRSC, and so far from reading your thread, the part that I don't fully understand is the bypass job that you did. Is it possible for you to draw a diagram of what you did and post it here? I think it will help me understand it better.

My other question is, what about your ECU/Engine management, did you have to make any kind of adjustments due to this set up? What are you using for your EMS? Thanks in advance for any advice.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Here's the logical diagram:

I use an AEM EMS, and tuning is definitely required. If you don't have a good standalone programmable ECU, then I'd recommend not trying this at home.
Old 07-04-2005, 05:48 PM
RMF

Default Re: Dual-Sequential Chargers (rmcdaniels)

Sorry i posted on the wrong one.LOL

Quick Reply: Dual-Sequential Chargers