Notices

DSM injectors, bad?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 08:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DSM injectors, bad?

Alright I was planning on getting 440cc DSM injectors and using a resistor box for my turbo project. So I called a shop around my area where I'm going to get my car dyno tuned to get some price quotes and info, I bring up injectors and the guy there was going on about how bad DSM injectors are, and was saying I should get RC's.

He wasn't trying to sell me different injectors, but he seemed determined that they were bad injectors.

Heres their site, I actually found them off this forum in the section where dif tune shops are.

------>http://www.trickengineering.com/

Old 07-15-2008, 09:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

There's nothing inherently "bad" about them, and many people have used them with great success. They're usually good for up to about 300 hp max in Hondas and are dirt cheap, so they're a cost-effective choice for a lot of people. That said, you have to consider that these injectors are coming out of cars that are sometimes 15 years old or more, so it's a good idea to have them cleaned and flow tested, which is a process that many people skip. Decade-and-a-half old injectors are obviously more likely to be clogged or fail if you run them without the proper preparation, especially if they're coming out of high-mileage cars/engines. RC's are great injectors, and you can get low mileage used ones for a decent price, but if you do decide on the DSM's, I'd recommend having them cleaned/tested before installing them.
Old 07-15-2008, 09:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: (inspyral)

Its usually just the heavy pintle, age, and somewhat small size that lead to them getting a bad rap. Its just that people tend to push them to the limits w/o cleaning them (after being in service for 15 YEARS), and they fail. Most tuning shops that deal with DSM's will always have a set to sell dirt cheap, last time I was at a shop I got a set for $20, only because I didn't have a smaller bill.

Its $10-20 to get each DSM cleaned/tested, and ~$60 for a new injector. For a mild build, DSM's can't be beat. For a modest-serious build, you'd be a fool to not upgrade.
Old 07-15-2008, 10:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (inspyral)

i used them on my all motor build with no probaly what so ever. they are great and very afforidable if your not planing on making alot of power
Old 07-15-2008, 11:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Wow, thanks for the info guys, very helpful.

Thats what I was thinking too, that it probably is because of the condition of the injectors. But I would think that the guy at the shop being a tuner and all would take that into account?