Notices

Dsm Fuel Cut Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2004, 11:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dsm Fuel Cut Question

This is for my buddy, I am usually pretty good with stuff like this, if you don't know ask, right?

"VERY LONG STORY AHEAD READ AT YOU OWN RISK

jchouse and i made a long trip this witer to purchase a 91 talon i found on autotrader. It was a sweetheart deal. body in ok shape, interior decent, new head and only 108k. I paid 3250 for the car. Got it home and it ran awesome. Car had a 2.5 inch turbo back exhaust with test pipe, through the stock muffler. as soon as i got it home i yanked off the air box and replaced with a k&n air filter. Also upped the boost to 15 pounds and hooked up the previously installed vdo boost gauge. car ran awesome..........for two days. One night i was going to walmart. went out and started the car, idled fine. pulled out of my apartment and took it to 3500, still feeling really good and i saw 4-5 psi register on the gauge. shift into second and decide to give it a little more gas. 4500 rpms come up when the car just feels like it hit a wall. it stuttered then picked up again then did it again. i immediately turned around and parked the car for the night, and went inside to look up any info on the net that i could find. i got a diagram of the vaccum lines and went outside in 10 degree weather and checked everything. looked perfect. so i turned the boost down to 11 psi. took the car out and it did the same thing. so lets fast forward to present time. as o right now the car will spin to 5000 before fuel cut, but starts to do it's thing around 4700. i have put some much money into this car that i could have bought and swapped a hatch already, and maybe even turbod it. as of right now the last thing i did was order an E-PROM ecu with a custom chip from dsmchips.com. I left work a little early because i was eager to get the ecu and put it in the car and prayed that it would cure it all. so i got the old ecu out and put the new in. turned the key.........and nothing. the battery had died!!!!! Ok so no problem run down to autozone and pick a new battery. get in the car and turn the key. it won't start. the motor will turn over, but it won't start!!!!!!!!! plug in the old ecu and it starts right up and idles fine.

If ne one has any helpfull hints or ideas please contact me if not the car will be up for sale soon as i don't want to put any more money into it.

sorry for the length...."

Any help will be greatly appreciate....Thanks guys...
Old 06-02-2004, 11:47 PM

Default Re: Dsm Fuel Cut Question (ExVtec)

Sounds like you might want to invest early in a MAF translator??
Old 06-02-2004, 11:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Dsm Fuel Cut Question (highpsief)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by highpsief &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Sounds like you might want to invest early in a MAF translator??
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Pardon my ignorance..that would be???
Old 06-03-2004, 06:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

morning bump.....
Old 06-03-2004, 01:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ExVtec &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">evening bump..... </TD></TR></TABLE>

Board moves fast.....
Old 06-03-2004, 01:53 PM

The problem you are experiencing is not fuel cut. Boost and RPMS both too low unless he is running something along the lines of a 20G or larger. Find someone who has a 1G logger, plug it in and take it for a spin to see whats really going on. The only way it can be fuel cut is if there is a huge boost leak causing the turbo to try to make more boost which in turn makes the MAF meter more air.

things to do
Boost leak test
check the plugs and gap
find out if the fuel pump is stock
get a logger on it

jeff