Notices

Drag III powered CRX

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2001, 01:09 PM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drag III powered CRX

I am about to start on my crx project car and I was wondering if what I have planned to do will be very quick. I am swapping a 90 Ls motor into a 91 Crx that has the the AC, everything behind the dash that isnt needed, heater, and everything behind the front seats removed and I am putting a 6 point chromoly cage in will run through the 1/4 with a basic Drag III kit, profec B, quiffe limited slip, slicks, stage 4 clutchmasters clutch, and skunk 2 drag race coilovers will run through the quarter? What boost do you think I could run with this set up? this car is only a weekend car. thanks for the help. I have everything broke up into stages and this will only be stage one. Once I get everything to work together then I will go standalone with bigger injectors then build the bottom end and do head work. thanks for your time
Old 10-01-2001, 10:27 PM
Trial User

Default Re: Drag III powered CRX (10sec.civic)

This is a easy recipe for 12's. Kinda like Quick Grits
Old 10-02-2001, 10:09 AM
New User

Default Re: Drag III powered CRX (Mr Rogers)

i know guy running a built b18a in a crx with a drag kit..... he ran 11.80 on slicks...
Old 10-02-2001, 11:23 AM
Banned

If you do it right you can run 11's easily....but that is if u do it right
Old 10-02-2001, 12:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Boost?As far as I know its not safe to run more than 7-9 psi on a stock engine. I know a guy with a ls/vtec thats fully built and he easily runs 22 psi. So I would make sure that building up your engine is stage 1 if you plan on running high boost. stuff like rods, pistons, sleeves, (maybe bore than sleeves) treat the crank, titanium retainers in the heads. stuff like that. A good speed shop can clue you in on that stuff better than little ol' me.
Old 10-02-2001, 12:32 PM
Banned

Default Re: Drag III powered CRX (CAMAROCRUSHER)

spend 300 bucks get an inline head gasket and han u can run 22 pounds of boost with stock internals
Old 10-03-2001, 04:37 PM
New User

Default Re: Drag III powered CRX

Here is my complete list of my build up. I am going with this order because I have a back up motor that I am going to build and I want to see first hand how far a stock Ls will go in all stock form. I was originally thinking of going with the inline pro head gasket but then I would only have like 7 to 1 comp. I plan to move through the stages quickly. I like doing things individually so that if a problen arises I know what caused it.
Drag turbo kit w/tial
NGK 7 series plugs
Aem adjustable fpr
holly 255LPH In tank Fuel pump
clutchmasters stage 4
Greddy profec B w/ switch
Autometer boost gauge
Autometer a/f meter
greddy egt gauge
Autometer oil pressure gauge
Autometer fuel pressure
Skunk2 coilovers stiff rear
quaiffe
Stage2
Power Fc w/comander
MSD 6aL
msd blaster 2 coil
msd pro cap
RC 550cc injectors
Stage3
Bulletproof block
stage 4
Head
Intake
Throttle Body
What kind of boost and what kind of quarter mile times could I expect with the set up through the stages. thanks for the help.
Old 10-03-2001, 06:51 PM
Banned

Default Re: Drag III powered CRX (newsense)

I was talking to the guy with ls vtec with the inline head gasket....my bad.......thats a nice setup that u have though.....u will easily run low 11's with some tuning....I got a friend of a friend (would call him a friend, possibly matual aquantince) but i met him and hes running high 11's with an integra ls rev hard with a lot of fuel...its actualy an inline pro car....jinxproff would know him........yeah low 11's who knows u might get super lucky and hit a numbr lower than that

[Modified by On Point, 3:52 AM 10/4/2001]
Old 10-04-2001, 01:55 PM
New User

Default Re: Drag III powered CRX (On Point)

Should I go ahead and up the 550's to 720's if I plan to run BIG boost?
Old 10-04-2001, 07:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not going to run BIG boost on that intank pump and that stage 4 clutch...I say...max boost around 20psi with good tuning
Old 10-05-2001, 05:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Drag III powered CRX (Blown90hatcH)

On word........

ZDYNE
Old 10-05-2001, 06:20 AM
New User

Default Re: Drag III powered CRX (Blown90hatcH)

Which fuel pump and Clutch should I get if I want to run big boost? How does the Zdyne compare to the power FC and what are the biggest injectors that I can run with the Zdyne could I run 25+ pounds with going with a bigger fuel pump, better clutch and Zdyne or power FC. Could the Zyne do a better job then the power fc because the zdyne was my first choice but then I decided to go with power fc after talking with some Fc users. What size of injectors would you guys suggest for my application. thanks for the responses
Old 10-05-2001, 06:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Zdyne SECU can recalibrate your entire fuel curve for any injectors. No problems idling, and your never have to crank up/down your fuel pressure.

BIG boost you'd prolly need something like a hi flow intank replacement fuel pump

Prolly a stage 3 or 4 clutch from where ever

The ONLY thing I don't like about zdyne is it not having datalogging, but their working on that.
Old 10-05-2001, 08:30 AM
New User

Default Re: Drag III powered CRX (Speed PHreak)

Will the holly 255LPH In tank Fuel pump be good enough for my fuel pump or what kind should I get. I might go with the Zdyne because it has a three bar map sensor with there kits and I heard that the power fc doesnt. What is involved in tuning with the Zdyne. could I tune it with the use of a laptop, egt gauge and a/f gauge and get it tuned in a weekend of driving around.
Old 10-05-2001, 08:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah a 255 LHP pump should be more than enough.

Tuning.....well yeah if your A/F guage works, mine dosen't POS. I need to redo the wiring. Bad connection somewhere......You plug a laptop into the SECU via RJ13(phone) connector and a serial adaptor. Easy to use, very friendly staff at zdyne. But yeah you'd be able to tune it in no time. Load up your tune, set it to open loop at like 5% throttle(forces it to use the fuel maps all the time) then just watch your boost and a/f guage. Compensate accordingly......
Old 10-05-2001, 09:45 AM
New User

Default Re: Drag III powered CRX (Speed PHreak)

Do you know when they should have the Zdyne ready for datalogging. thanks and what do you run for a set up.
Old 10-05-2001, 11:04 AM
New User

spend 300 bucks get an inline head gasket and han u can run 22 pounds of boost with stock internals
i dont know where youre gettin your info..but sorry guy...just having a head gasket doesnt necessarily mean you can run 22 lbs. of boost on stock internals. with proper tuning, (which im not even sure what it exactly means) ive heard of people running high boost on stock internals but even this doesnt happen too much. so i just wanted to clarify, so people dont get a head gasket, switch the boost up to 23 lbs or whatever and blow up their engine, and wonder why it blew up. there are many other things u have to get just in order to run past a certain amount of boost such as 8:1 fmu and bigger injectors, etc. like stated its all in the tuning,including supplying air/fuel, and not all in a 300 headgasket.

[Modified by turbo01gsr, 8:06 PM 10/5/2001]
Old 10-05-2001, 11:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Drag III powered CRX (turbo01gsr)

also with the power fc you need to run a obd2 clip
Old 10-05-2001, 11:30 AM
Banned

Default Re: Drag III powered CRX (BoostinDC2)

of course i was talking about tuning it, u also need injectors and a pump ect
Old 10-05-2001, 11:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I've spoken with Bill at Zdyne a few times over the past few weeks and one of the things I keep asking about is datalogging. A couple weeks ago he told me that the datalogging software was about 2/3 of the way done. Yesterday when I had him on the phone again he said that it was now at the top of his list of things to get finished so hopefully it'll be ready soon.
Old 10-05-2001, 12:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

There are a few misconceptions here..
First of all you are going to need a good fuel management.. I have no experience with Zdyne ecus, but Hondata really seems to be working for tons of people or Speed Pro. YOu need some type of detonation control as well.
That fuel pump wont cut it... its too ***** to be able to keep up with the amount of fuel your going to need to push 25psi, get the Bosch pump from Endyn ( http://www.theoldone.com/components/fuelpumps ) its not weak, I had a friend of mine get that the 255 walboro pump and it crapped at 13psi on a supercharged app. Get a clutchmasters stg 4 itll hold the power. Get a quaife and a LS tranny, go with a Z10 crossmember so you dont have any clearance probs with the EF front x-member, get some cam gears, stiffer spings and lighter retainers(portflow..crower..) get some Ferrera stainless valves, scatter sheild, billet axels, ITR flywheel(dont go to light) ITR is just right. Get your suspension setup correct! haha..hmm what else.. oo I know.. RESEARCH! ITS FREE AND IT WILL SAVE YOU MONEY IN THE END.. Trust me.
HAHA 10 sec. head gasket... keep your stock one and get your block sleeved. Forged Pistons and Rods.. Hmm am I missing something?! (you outta money yet?) lol
Seriously though you need to make sure you know what you are getting yourself into.. and make sure you do you homework. If you dont your going to waste ALOT of money and be sitting at the 330 blown up...
--A

[Modified by Dublocivic, 9:24 PM 10/5/2001]
Old 10-05-2001, 01:50 PM
New User

Default Re: Drag III powered CRX (Dublocivic)

I have said nothing of getting the inline pro headgasket. I have planned to go sleeves, pistons, and rods the whole time. I will use your advise and go with the different fuel pump and large injectors and good tuning because detonation is my enemy. now since I know I have heard that Zdyne is working on datalogging I will get a Zdyne. Does anybody know what the datalogging capabilities should cost? thanks for all of the help.