Notices

Doing a single cam build. Like to hear your thoughts.

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 03:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 Doing a single cam build. Like to hear your thoughts.

Okay. I HAVE searched. So dont try and bash on me about using the search feature.
Theres a few questions I have. And I kind of have a plan as to what setup I want. And would just like to know from some guys who have done these builds at what kind of numbers I should be expecting? I am a new member on here so Im sorry If I am going about this the wrong way or if its in the wrong section.

Ok first thing. This is the setup I was going to go for. Im aiming for 400-420 hp.

D16z6
Skunk 2 intake manifold
Golden eagle fuel rail
Vitara pistons
Eagle rods
Supertech FULL valvetrain (do I need a full valve train?)
Bisimoto 2.4 cam
cam gear ( im not sure what brand yet.. any advice?)
T3/t4- 57 trim turbo
Precision 1000cc injectors
Oem d16z6 oil pump (do i need to shim it)
Aftermarket fuel pump of some kind not sure which.

Is there anything Im missing that I should probably add?
Whats better for turbo? The d16z6 or d16y8? What Ive read , most people prefer the z6
Do I need a full valvetrain? Could I possibly find a cheaper cam and make the same power?

I just want some advice. This will be the first time I am building a motor from ground up.
Is there a write up on how to assemble a bottom end correctly?
I would appreciate any help I can get
Old 01-27-2013, 03:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Doing a single cam build. Like to hear your thoughts.

I forgot to add. Ill probably be tuned on hondata s100.
Could you get a good tune off of a chipped ecu rather then hondata?
Old 01-27-2013, 04:24 PM
It's wU to the sOLdiEr!

I would look into the s300
I don't know much about sohc.
Old 01-27-2013, 04:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 96 Likes on 86 Posts

I highly doubt youll hit that with a 57trim, and at that paired with a d series
Old 01-27-2013, 04:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

57 trim isn't gonna hit 400hp you need at least a 63
Old 01-27-2013, 04:33 PM
It's wU to the sOLdiEr!

I was going to say the same thing
The numbers you want to hit with that turbo is more common with a b18c
Old 01-27-2013, 04:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Shoooooooot. So you think its possible to hit 400 with a bigger turbo and it still be a pretty reliable motor? At least get more then 10 passes without blowing it up!?
Old 01-27-2013, 04:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

My suggestions are to go with a walboro 255 fuel pump, a delta 272-2 regrind instead of the bisi 2.4. If it was my build I wouldnt wanna go past 350hp on a d16 just to be safe. Try d-series.org they have plently of builds you could go off to reach your goals.
Old 01-27-2013, 05:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Civek
My suggestions are to go with a walboro 255 fuel pump, a delta 272-2 regrind instead of the bisi 2.4. If it was my build I wouldnt wanna go past 350hp on a d16 just to be safe. Try d-series.org they have plently of builds you could go off to reach your goals.
Thanks man. Do I need to notch my block for the rods? Could I get custom sized rods to avoid having to do that? And whats the point in notching it anyways? And what is a regrind? Im sorry I know nothing
Old 01-27-2013, 05:22 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

You have to notch the block to clear the rods as the motor spins, can't get around that.

You need custom length rods with vitaras in the first place, stock length rods drop compression into the 7:1 range which will make the car run like **** out of boost

A regrind is a cam with a different profile
Old 01-27-2013, 05:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by wantboost
You have to notch the block to clear the rods as the motor spins, can't get around that.

You need custom length rods with vitaras in the first place, stock length rods drop compression into the 7:1 range which will make the car run like **** out of boost

A regrind is a cam with a different profile

Okay. Are there write ups on how to notch the block? Could i do it myself or do i need to take it to a machine shop?
Old 01-27-2013, 06:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Any modifications to the block should be done by a machine shop.

I would get a cam that's setup for boost, Brian Crower makes them, basically they're just a low overlap cam. To get power like that out of a SOHC 1.6L I would say you'll need the full valve train. Supertech is a good choice. You'll need a, I'd go out on a limb to say much bigger turbo. Consider a dual ball bearing from Garrett so your b16 can actually get it spinning. You'll also need an intercooler. You'll need a turbo manifold, wastegate and bov (unless the turbo has them built in, which is rare). I don't know if you'll need an upgraded fuel rail, I'd say not. Same goes with the 1000cc injectors, that may be overkill. Go with an AEM cam gear, one of the best in the biz. I would say just go with pistons from CP or Wiseco

Expect 4000-6000 doing it yourself.
Old 01-27-2013, 07:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by cleansleeper
Any modifications to the block should be done by a machine shop.

I would get a cam that's setup for boost, Brian Crower makes them, basically they're just a low overlap cam. To get power like that out of a SOHC 1.6L I would say you'll need the full valve train. Supertech is a good choice. You'll need a, I'd go out on a limb to say much bigger turbo. Consider a dual ball bearing from Garrett so your b16 can actually get it spinning. You'll also need an intercooler. You'll need a turbo manifold, wastegate and bov (unless the turbo has them built in, which is rare). I don't know if you'll need an upgraded fuel rail, I'd say not. Same goes with the 1000cc injectors, that may be overkill. Go with an AEM cam gear, one of the best in the biz. I would say just go with pistons from CP or Wiseco

Expect 4000-6000 doing it yourself.

Thanks for the advice. I know i needed an intercooler.. and bov. And waste gate. I just figured those were things that didnt matter as much as the rest i listed when it comes to tuning. Yea im sure ill spend alot. But it will be fun saving and spending and putting things together over the months and or year that it takes. Something to do. Would suck to put it all together and it be a failure though. Hope everything goes great.
Old 01-28-2013, 04:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ls joker
I highly doubt you'll hit that with a 57trim, and at that paired with a d series
Originally Posted by Marvin1985
57 trim isn't gonna hit 400hp you need at least a 63
I currently make 433 whp and 355 ft-lbs on a d16 with a t3/t4 57 trim....This is on a super low comp vitara build. If you go with something in the 8.5:1-9:1 range you will easily hit that goal with less boost then I run (28). There are plenty of people who use this turbo on d16's to 400+ all day.I think jfk78 from speedfactory use to make around 470-485 with one.

All that being said, if you have a 57 trim now, or have a line on a cheap one , don't be afraid to use it for your goals. If you have the money and haven't bought your turbo yet, Id probably buy a billet wheeled pte unit. ( these were not around when I did my build and the 57 trim was probably considered the best bang for the buck turbo for d16 guys)
Old 01-28-2013, 05:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 96 Likes on 86 Posts

How efficient is your turbo at that point. What were your iat's. And id like to see a dyno plot sheet. And if you really did on a 57trim lol, what fuel.
Old 01-28-2013, 06:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ive researched and read online .. a few people making over 400 hp on a 57 trim. Thats why i was going to go with one.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Few things to consider, what fuel are you gonna run? with 1000's E85 would be a good option if its readily available in your area. Is this a Daily Driver, Weekends only, or Full on Track Car?
If you want under 400hp you can go with stock cam and valve train many choose this route in a budget/ daily driver build.

For the oil pump i would definatly look into a New one. A Buddy of mine just killed his motor last weekend because of an old OEM oil pump failing.

With H beams you WILL have to notch your block but if you have a dremel or air grinder and a patient hand its not that hard. There is a good article on it http://www.theoldone.com/articles/d_...building_tips/

Walbro 255 for the fuel pump will do the trick well.

and if your self tuning id recommend Neptune RTP with a good Wideband.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by castranda7408
Thanks for the advice. I know i needed an intercooler.. and bov. And waste gate. I just figured those were things that didnt matter as much as the rest i listed when it comes to tuning. Yea im sure ill spend alot. But it will be fun saving and spending and putting things together over the months and or year that it takes. Something to do. Would suck to put it all together and it be a failure though. Hope everything goes great.
That's a good attitude to go about this. Good luck! Hope this all points you in the right direction.

Originally Posted by cbustuner
I currently make 433 whp and 355 ft-lbs on a d16 with a t3/t4 57 trim....This is on a super low comp vitara build. If you go with something in the 8.5:1-9:1 range you will easily hit that goal with less boost then I run (28). There are plenty of people who use this turbo on d16's to 400+ all day.I think jfk78 from speedfactory use to make around 470-485 with one.

All that being said, if you have a 57 trim now, or have a line on a cheap one , don't be afraid to use it for your goals. If you have the money and haven't bought your turbo yet, Id probably buy a billet wheeled pte unit. ( these were not around when I did my build and the 57 trim was probably considered the best bang for the buck turbo for d16 guys)
I would also like to see a dyno of that, shocking sorta.. Don't forget the flow restrictions of a SOHC vs DOHC, which B16's are those builds being done on? My guess would be a DOHC.

OP: DO NOT cheap out on a precision turbo like this ^ guy suggested. Go with Garrett or BorgWarner. Anything else is crap
Old 01-28-2013, 12:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

not to steer this thread into the wrong direction about people's point of view on different turbos, but the pte units have been pretty good to me and numerous other people.
Old 01-28-2013, 03:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by cleansleeper
That's a good attitude to go about this. Good luck! Hope this all points you in the right direction.

I would also like to see a dyno of that, shocking sorta.. Don't forget the flow restrictions of a SOHC vs DOHC, which B16's are those builds being done on? My guess would be a DOHC.

OP: DO NOT cheap out on a precision turbo like this ^ guy suggested. Go with Garrett or BorgWarner. Anything else is crap
This is why I've been a member of this site since 03' and rarely post. The misinfomation in this thread is ******* mind boggling. Precision turbo? Cheap? When did that happen? When did a d16 making more then 400hp become shocking? This is first day stuff to be honest.

Why are both of the fastest "street car"d16s ( true street trim) both on pte turbos? Cause they are cheap right? Even though both cars are in the 9's and are backed by shops( speed factory and fabworx) so they could probably literally have any turbo they wanted, they must have chosen those turbos because they are cheap lol.
Old 01-28-2013, 04:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by cbustuner
This is why I've been a member of this site since 03' and rarely post. The misinfomation in this thread is ******* mind boggling. Precision turbo? Cheap? When did that happen? When did a d16 making more then 400hp become shocking? This is first day stuff to be honest.

Why are both of the fastest "street car"d16s ( true street trim) both on pte turbos? Cause they are cheap right? Even though both cars are in the 9's and are backed by shops( speed factory and fabworx) so they could probably literally have any turbo they wanted, they must have chosen those turbos because they are cheap lol.
Let me rephrase that.

Precision is not up to par with Garrett and Borg Warner. Granted precision has stepped up their game after their initial terrible reputation, I still do not believe they are up to par with the longevity of Garrett and BW.