Notices

does wrapping the manifold really help under hood temps?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 05:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default does wrapping the manifold really help under hood temps?

My car since turbo'd seems to run a little hotter, I was just wondering if it is worth it to wrap the manifold (sls mini log) to help combat this?
Old 02-10-2008, 06:48 AM

Yes it does with the right heat wrap.
Old 02-10-2008, 08:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

just wondering, would it make the possibility of cracking the manifold higher when you fully wrapped it? someone said that to me, but dont know how far its true...
Old 02-10-2008, 08:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (EG6SiR-T)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EG6SiR-T &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">just wondering, would it make the possibility of cracking the manifold higher when you fully wrapped it? someone said that to me, but dont know how far its true...</TD></TR></TABLE>

..Wrapping the manifold will cut down on under hood temps. Manifolds crack from poor materials, and stress from weight. Not from wrapping it.
Old 02-10-2008, 08:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (boostfeen)

The main thing i dont like about header wrap is the fact that it keeps moisture and heat on the surface of the header which can corrode the metal over time and possibly cause premature cracking as compared to a non coated manifold.

If it fits in your budget, you should definetly look into having the manifold ceramic coated, its a better long term solution IMO.
Old 02-10-2008, 08:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (Kevin)

I've never seen a ceramic coat that cut down heat as much as wrap does. Maybe the local place around here that does coatings just sucks, but in my experience you're better off wrapping exhaust than coating it.
Old 02-10-2008, 09:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Minor Threat)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Minor Threat &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I've never seen a ceramic coat that cut down heat as much as wrap does. Maybe the local place around here that does coatings just sucks, but in my experience you're better off wrapping exhaust than coating it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

..nothing wrong with doing both
Old 02-10-2008, 11:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boostfeen &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">..Wrapping the manifold will cut down on under hood temps. Manifolds crack from poor materials, and stress from weight. Not from wrapping it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Wrapping the manifold dramatically increases the temperature of the metal itself. This increases the amount it expands. I would never wrap a manifold. I tried that once, the manifold didn't crack, but it warped and broke 2 head studs. Also, something else to consider, I don't know about 304L, I might have to break out one of my welding books here, but 304 is prone to carbide precipitation at the temperatures encountered by the exhaust. Normally this isn't an issue because the wall temp of the manifold doesn not normally reach the temperature of the exhaust, but wrap it and now it's a lot closer. Carbide precipitation basically results in a reduction of the stainless' properties, primarily corrosion resistance. If anyone has anything to contribute to this, feel free to do so..
Old 02-10-2008, 12:01 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: (rorik)

We have a had great success with both, we prefer ceramic coating by the looks and can do them in either black or silver. The black coating is a little better for long term and heat reduction.
Old 02-10-2008, 01:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rorik &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Wrapping the manifold dramatically increases the temperature of the metal itself. This increases the amount it expands. I would never wrap a manifold. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yep, it can also trap moisture in which is never good.

A manifold is more likely to break if wrapped.
Old 02-10-2008, 01:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I bought a DEI Heat wrap kit with the insulating spray paint off Ebay and wrapped my ramhorn, I could definately tell a difference in the underhood temps when working around the engine and when touching the hood, my IAT's when I cruise also went up and the setup felt a little more responsive from vacumn into boost. I also wrapped my dumptube and downpipe up to the flex section because the kit came with 2 50' rolls.
Old 02-10-2008, 02:04 PM
i HAS questions ?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Minor Threat &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I've never seen a ceramic coat that cut down heat as much as wrap does. Maybe the local place around here that does coatings just sucks, but in my experience you're better off wrapping exhaust than coating it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Swain Tech coatings.

Saw a huge difference in temperatures in the engine bay after getting the headers on my mom's 1980 Corvette coated. You can actually stick your hand under the hood after its been running without burning yourself.
Old 02-10-2008, 02:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (96 GSR-T)

I wrapped mine in hopes of keeping wiring and hoses that go near the manifold in order. Aircon hose blew already. I dont see how moisture would stay under the wrapping, it would boil out once the manifold got hot. Also it can kill a mild steel manifold, but mine's so thick I doubt I'd run into problems in the near future.
Old 02-10-2008, 02:10 PM

I double wrapped mine and I've had no issues for the 9 month period following. It made an enormous difference in underhood temps.
Old 02-10-2008, 02:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (RCautoworks)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RCautoworks &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Yep, it can also trap moisture in which is never good.

A manifold is more likely to break if wrapped.</TD></TR></TABLE>

.yes, just any kind of wrap can cause moisture to build up, but by using the special material, that Thermo-tech uses, then its still some what porus to allow the moisture to disapate. This product has been used for years, and has been proven to work, just like ceramic coating.
Old 02-10-2008, 02:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boostfeen &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

.yes, just any kind of wrap can cause moisture to build up, but by using the special material, that Thermo-tech uses, then its still some what porus to allow the moisture to disapate. This product has been used for years, and has been proven to work, just like ceramic coating.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm not saying it doesn't work, but its going to make a manifold more likely to crack cause its trapping in the heat.
Old 02-11-2008, 01:46 PM

Default Re: (RCautoworks)

not to mention ive seen a car burn to the ground from oil getting on the wrap and when those thing catch good luck putting it out, i would personally get them coated m buddy has a pro street s-10 his headers got so hot they where starting to melt the plug wires so he had his headers coated and under hood temp went down big time.
Old 02-11-2008, 02:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Kevin)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Kevin &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The main thing i dont like about header wrap is the fact that it keeps moisture and heat on the surface of the header which can corrode the metal over time</TD></TR></TABLE>i guess some people have different experiences. Mista Bone's only rusted where there WASNT wrap

Old 02-11-2008, 03:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (ryan89crx)

I coated mine and it cut way down on the heat, I could hold my hand an inch from it after a dyno pull, and I couldn't get my hand anywhere near it before I coated it.

I have seen coatings that didn't appear to work so well though, I thinkthat it needs to be the correct thermal barrier coating and that it needs to be applied correctly in order to be really effective.
Old 02-11-2008, 04:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (rmcdaniels)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rmcdaniels &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I coated mine and it cut way down on the heat, I could hold my hand an inch from it after a dyno pull, and I couldn't get my hand anywhere near it before I coated it.

I have seen coatings that didn't appear to work so well though, I thinkthat it needs to be the correct thermal barrier coating and that it needs to be applied correctly in order to be really effective.</TD></TR></TABLE>

What coatings were you using?
Old 02-11-2008, 05:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

how much down time is usually anticipated with coating the manifold with such companies such as swain tech? i would like to coat mine, but unfortunately, i have nothing else to drive.
Old 02-11-2008, 05:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I wonder where tbone is for his insight.
Old 02-11-2008, 05:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Minor Threat &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

What coatings were you using?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Here's a writeup that I did on it:

https://honda-tech.com/zero...age=1
Old 02-11-2008, 05:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I don't agree the trapping moisture thing at all, but either way, what diff would it make? The manifold is stainless.
I would say if you can get a good coating applied to the inside of the manifold, that would be the best way to go.
Old 02-11-2008, 05:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

swain coatings are the ****, send it to them and you will be fine. We have seen some very drastic chages by using their products.

http://www.swaintech.com/

Quick Reply: does wrapping the manifold really help under hood temps?