Notices

Does this turbo fit?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2011, 09:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Does this turbo fit?

I figured I'd make a new post for some ideas from those not following my build thread.

This is a Spoolin Performance header I got used. I got a Precision 5431 Turbo. It's a .50 trim billet compressor wheel unit. Exhaust A/R .63.

It touches the clutch slave on the bleeder screw. Pretty hard. Enough that I didn't snug the bolts all the way.

Also it sits really sideways. Is that normal? Looks really odd to me. I mean compressor side points right into the radiator. Even with a super slim fan that looks like it might be an issue?

What do you guys think? Is there a slave I can get to make this work or should I just get another header?

Old 05-14-2011, 08:44 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts
Default Re: Does this turbo fit?

What you have is normal for the use of air conditioning and power steering. It is angled in such a way as to not need to shave the webbing on the engine block. What you need to do is to either notch out the fan shroud or get a slim fan that fits onto the radiator. As for the slave nipple, there should be no problem there as the filter seems to fit in front of them.
Old 05-15-2011, 07:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I don't think trimming the fan shroud will do it as the pipe would then go right into the fan blades. It's angled to much in there. I will try some slim line fans and see if that works.

The nipple on the slave is pressing up very hard against the turbo. Like it may snap it or damage something if I tighten up the header bolts all the way. That's why I was thinking maybe I can remove the nipple and perhaps cut it down shorter and re-install. Depends on what the ends look like though. It may not be possible to cut one down.
Old 05-15-2011, 09:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I would try and get a 90* fitting there like I said. Or just get a different manifold. Not a whole lot of options.

As far as the fan, its almost neccesary to get a slim fan.

the-fan-man.com
Old 05-15-2011, 05:43 PM

And you can't "cut the nipple". Like many nipples of different sizes and types, *snicker* they are needed for a reason (as in this case the need to bleed a slave cylinder may arise in the future). At the current angle, it looks like its pressing against the housing, but not affecting the actual function of the turbo at this current standpoint.

You'll find as you put this together, that even custom manifolds don't fit around everything perfectly, or assume that you're going to make some changes to surrounding equipment (the trimming of fan shrouds or use of slim fans, smaller sized radiators with higher capacity, the use of thermal or heat shielding on A/C components, etc).

This is never text book, plug and play. As you can tell you're going to experience a few miniscule surprises, but nothing that should shock you. Remember , these components were never designed to fit in this kind of engine bay, (despite its repeatability to the contrary in the aftermarket world.) Just expect some hiccups.
Old 05-15-2011, 05:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would just cut the nipple part off the fitting and see if that gives you enough room to tighten it down. If not remove it and see if it clears then.
Old 05-15-2011, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by 91jdmhatchback
I would just cut the nipple part off the fitting and see if that gives you enough room to tighten it down. If not remove it and see if it clears then.
Are you referring to the fitting on the compressor cover, or the slave cylinder?
Old 05-15-2011, 09:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

use a honda accord slave!! the nipple points upwards!!! i believe the prelude ones do as well!
Old 05-16-2011, 05:09 AM

Originally Posted by VRD^don
use a honda accord slave!! the nipple points upwards!!! i believe the prelude ones do as well!
Correcto.
Old 05-16-2011, 06:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by VRD^don
x 2 on this.

make the slim fan a pusher on the front, then i dont see any problems at all. its going to be a tight fit for the DP.
Old 05-19-2011, 08:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Something must have happened to my email as I didn't see your replies till now. Thanks guys.

So honda accord or prelude slave will work. Good to know. Is there a specific year I want to get? I assume just go to local autoparts store and get one.

Great idea on the pusher fans. I know from doing v8 conversions on Ford Rangers and using pusher fans they don't work nearly as well as pullers but they will work. I haven't had a chance to see if there's clearance in front of the radiator on the Civic but if there is man that'll be a great option.

As for downpipe yeah it's gonna be a tight one but I think I can fab one to work.
Old 05-19-2011, 09:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

That must be my old manifold. What I did was trim the slave bleed screw. But the best route would be getting an accord/prelude slave.
Old 05-20-2011, 05:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

First off, you need to re-mount the turbo... from the pictures it looks like the oil drain is facing upwards, so thats an obvious issue. Re-mount it and see what the clearances are.
Old 05-20-2011, 05:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Bseriescivic5
First off, you need to re-mount the turbo... from the pictures it looks like the oil drain is facing upwards, so thats an obvious issue. Re-mount it and see what the clearances are.
clocking the drain is not going to change placement of the turbo.
Old 05-20-2011, 06:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by da_dude
That must be my old manifold. What I did was trim the slave bleed screw. But the best route would be getting an accord/prelude slave.
It could be. PM me your first name and we'll see. If it is I have a few questions on fitment if you don't mind.

Originally Posted by Bseriescivic5
clocking the center piece won't affect placement at all.

Originally Posted by kyden
clocking the drain is not going to change placement of the turbo.
Yup what he said.
Old 05-20-2011, 08:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by MalcolmV8

Great idea on the pusher fans. I know from doing v8 conversions on Ford Rangers and using pusher fans they don't work nearly as well as pullers but they will work. I haven't had a chance to see if there's clearance in front of the radiator on the Civic but if there is man that'll be a great option.
There is enough room in front of the rad for the slim fan.
Old 07-09-2011, 12:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey Guys, I got a Prelude slave as you suggested and the nipple points to the radiator and not upwards? anyhow I think it'll possibly give me the clearance I need. It wasn't a direct fit though. Had to slot one of the mounting bolts to make it work.

Prelude is above, Civic below.

Had to slot the one bolt hole like this to make it fit.

New nipple location which will hopefully give me the clearance I need.

Old 07-09-2011, 12:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Looks good. Put the turbo in. You have room...and if you look around, they have a plate made for the manifold to straighten out the turbo. It's kinda over priced ($120ish) but giving you more options
Old 07-09-2011, 01:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Never heard of this plate but sounds good. Any links? I'd be interested in checking it out.
Old 07-09-2011, 03:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Name is Keng.
Old 07-10-2011, 05:30 AM
Man U FTW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

...and this is why my GSR has no AC. Its too much of a hassle
Old 07-10-2011, 05:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Depends on where you live. Here in KC that's not an option. Today for example is 99F with heat index of 110F because it's so humid and muggy out you can barely stand to breath in it. Step outside and you start sweating immediately.
The Honda would be completely useless without A/C. Not gonna happen.
Old 07-10-2011, 05:55 AM

There's always an option. Its called having another car for your hot days. I've lived in Mission KS, right outside on I-435, and though very, very hot, I knew it was time to drive something else instead of trying to drive a 350whp car and not have a back up. Out of the 3 cars you have in your sig list, none of the other ones have A/C to just switch for that day?
Old 07-10-2011, 05:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

They all have A/C so I can drive any vehicle on any day. The Cobra has over 500 hp and ft/lbs to the tires and A/C. No reason the Honda can't have A/C too.
Old 07-10-2011, 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by MalcolmV8
They all have A/C so I can drive any vehicle on any day. The Cobra has over 500 hp and ft/lbs to the tires and A/C. No reason the Honda can't have A/C too.
Didn't say it couldn't but prepare for the headaches later, of failing compressor, not cool enough Air coming through the vents, etc. Remember, you're putting in something that originally wasn't totally designed for it. But.. to each.

Quick Reply: Does this turbo fit?