Notices

does it matter where on intake mani the map line is tapped?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2007, 04:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default does it matter where on intake mani the map line is tapped?

just wondering.. i wanna use my firewall mounted map and my TB has a map on it so i dont have the normal map barb on the TB.. can i just tap it to any vacuum source off the mani or wont that work right? also i hear ppl say stock map is only good to 11 psi.?? i run 15+ on every stock map i had and didnt have any problems.. just wondering what is supposed to happen at 11 psi?
Old 09-22-2007, 05:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: does it matter where on intake mani the map line is tapped? (97grnrs)

yes you can tap in to any vac source. since you are running 15 and the map only READS to 11 so anything after that it will not add fuel and correct timing.
Old 09-22-2007, 06:09 PM

Default Re: does it matter where on intake mani the map line is tapped? (Hondaruss)

oh ok i see.. so why then would my car still run good after 11 psi? my ecu pulls .8 * per psi of boost and boost fuel % is at 180?? wouldnt it start running lean and detonatin after 11 psi then ?
Old 09-22-2007, 09:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: does it matter where on intake mani the map line is tapped? (97grnrs)

So you are running a modded ecu. like chrome, hondata ... if that is the case you will have a table up to that point. (11psi) after that since the map only is able to read 11 psi its going to stop is .8* at 11 its not going to read past that.
Old 09-23-2007, 06:51 AM

oh ok i see.. i wonder how i was getting away with runnin 15+ on the stock map with no problems?? i run zdyne
Old 09-23-2007, 10:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If you use a stock map you are tuning the 11 psi column for your full boost pull. It's not really an issue, since you are just tuning for wide open throttle, which for you is 15 psi. You may loose a little if you were to stay at 11 psi, since that would be tuned for 15 psi, and would likely be rich, and have too much timing pulled, but when you mash it, the amount of time you are in 11 psi on your way to 15 is minute, plus the computer will also correct, and grab values from all around the area it is on the map. Something like that
Old 09-23-2007, 11:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 97grnrs &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">just wondering.. i wanna use my firewall mounted map and my TB has a map on it so i dont have the normal map barb on the TB.. can i just tap it to any vacuum source off the mani or wont that work right? also i hear ppl say stock map is only good to 11 psi.?? i run 15+ on every stock map i had and didnt have any problems.. just wondering what is supposed to happen at 11 psi? </TD></TR></TABLE>
just get a higher reading map sensor. Trying to tune for 15psi on a stock map is kind of ghetto when its so easy to wire in a 3bar or something.
Old 09-23-2007, 12:07 PM

Default Re: does it matter where on intake mani the map line is tapped? (SOHC_MShue)

well i didnt really tune any columns seperately i just set boost fuel comp % to 180 and thats where i got it to run best after many st tune pulls .. i look at my zdyne map with the stock map sensor and it only goes up to 10.8 psi boost.. so u are right about the only 11 psi reading but after 11 it doesnt seem to have a problem it runs hard up to 15/16 psi.. but i dunno.. ill prob get a 3 bar and put it in but im just wondering what values the ecu is giving for between 11-15 psi if there is no table setup for it??
Old 09-23-2007, 12:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Of course it will 'run hard' up to 15psi - it will either be overly rich at 11psi and leaning out (feels more powerful) as you get to 15psi, OR it will be rich enough at 11psi and become very lean (dangerously so) as you close upon 15psi.

This really only hurts you if you modulate the throttle to maintain 11psi at some point, or IAT's change spoolup due to weather change, or you get a boost spike. In case of a boost spike, you will have to rely upon a pop-off valve or some electronic fuel-cut ADD-ON electronics, *NOT* your honda ecu. The highest you can set a crome/neptune/etc-based boostcut to is just under your MAP sensor's limit - 11psi in this case - and max boost ~1-2psi lower.

In other words, if your WG ever tries to expletive you over, it will likely WIN unless you are expecting it w/eyes on the boost gauge.
Old 09-23-2007, 12:30 PM

Default Re: does it matter where on intake mani the map line is tapped? (HiProfile)

well i suppose its time to hook up a 3 bar and not worry about it