Notices

does gt turbo series come with built-in oil restrictor ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2006, 09:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default does gt turbo series come with built-in oil restrictor ?

as title
Old 12-15-2006, 09:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: does gt turbo series come with built-in oil restrictor ? (eg:R)

Neither of mine have.
Old 12-15-2006, 09:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: does gt turbo series come with built-in oil restrictor ? (rmcdaniels)

My Garrett GT did...
Old 12-15-2006, 09:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: does gt turbo series come with built-in oil restrictor ? (slow poke)

Was it a ball-bearing turbo?
Old 12-16-2006, 07:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: does gt turbo series come with built-in oil restrictor ? (rmcdaniels)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rmcdaniels &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Was it a ball-bearing turbo? </TD></TR></TABLE>
Yes, GT3582R
Old 12-16-2006, 07:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: does gt turbo series come with built-in oil restrictor ? (slow poke)

Yes, bu still run the .035" from ATP.
Old 12-16-2006, 07:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Here is a borrowed pic of what it looks like.
Old 12-16-2006, 07:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: does gt turbo series come with built-in oil restrictor ? (a1320addict)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by a1320addict &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yes, bu still run the .035" from ATP.</TD></TR></TABLE>

You say this, but I talked to Garrett about it and they told me that it was not necessary to run any other restrictor with this setup. You are the ONLY person I have ever heard of that said they had a problem with the internal restrictor.
Old 12-16-2006, 07:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

but this is what you need to run with the turbo.

btw if anyone needs one of these feel free to hit me up.
Old 12-16-2006, 07:39 AM

what kind of o-ring is that?
Old 12-16-2006, 07:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by slow poke &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Here is a borrowed pic of what it looks like.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Okay, mine had that, I just never thought of it as a restrictor.

My first GT3071R that I bought from ATP had problems with oil leaking past the compressor seal, so ATP told me to try this restrictor:

It fixed the oil leak. I later used the same restrictor on my GT28RS and my second GT3071R, both of which worked great and are still working fine, just not on my car any more.
Old 12-16-2006, 07:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (cua0)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cua0 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">what kind of o-ring is that?</TD></TR></TABLE>

rubber ?
Old 12-16-2006, 11:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (dturbocivic)

teflon ?
Old 12-16-2006, 11:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dturbocivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">rubber ?</TD></TR></TABLE>
That's not a good thing to run on the turbo... It will start to crack and surely leak if it does not melt first.
Old 12-16-2006, 12:04 PM

Default Re: (slow poke)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by slow poke &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">That's not a good thing to run on the turbo... It will start to crack and surely leak if it does not melt first.</TD></TR></TABLE>

many people are running them error free

Modified by BoostedJeff at 4:14 PM 12/16/2006
Old 12-16-2006, 12:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by slow poke &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
That's not a good thing to run on the turbo... It will start to crack and surely leak if it does not melt first.</TD></TR></TABLE>

well if it was some junk *** material, im sure a profesional company like Precision turbo, would put their name on it.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BoostedJeff &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

man people are running them error free </TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 12-16-2006, 04:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by slow poke &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You say this, but I talked to Garrett about it and they told me that it was not necessary to run any other restrictor with this setup. You are the ONLY person I have ever heard of that said they had a problem with the internal restrictor. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I find it funny I'm the "only" person you have heard this from, as I've been recommended it from multiple, knowledgeable people.

My motor builds pretty high oil pressure, which is the reason I believe caused the failure on the 28rs without the .035". I'm sure if you searched around a bit you'd see similar responses.
Old 12-16-2006, 04:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by slow poke &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
That's not a good thing to run on the turbo... It will start to crack and surely leak if it does not melt first.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Water cooled = much cooler temps at the CHRA. I can use regular engine enamel on the CHRA (to make it look nicer and prevent rust) and the paint held up really well. It just shows that the temps are not as high as you think
Old 12-18-2006, 04:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Tony the Tiger)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Tony the Tiger &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Water cooled = much cooler temps at the CHRA. I can use regular engine enamel on the CHRA (to make it look nicer and prevent rust) and the paint held up really well. It just shows that the temps are not as high as you think </TD></TR></TABLE>

180deg water is still pretty hot.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dturbocivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well if it was some junk *** material, im sure a profesional company like Precision turbo, would put their name on it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

You may be surprised at some of the junk *** **** respectable companies will put there names on these days to make a buck. What I'm saying is there is no way I would run a rubber o-ring on a CHRA that sees a minimum of 180 degrees. We all know they can get allot hotter then that. Could be just me, to each his own.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by a1320addict &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I find it funny I'm the "only" person you have heard this from, as I've been recommended it from multiple, knowledgeable people.</TD></TR></TABLE>

You are the only person I've ever read or heard about having a problem with the built in restrictor. If you have a link to someone else's problems for reference, id be interested in checking it out. I'm not claiming to be the know all guy here. I don't work at some shop where I see tons of these cars all day long. What I'm saying is I have never heard of anyone having a problem with the built in restrictor and I myself haven't had a problem on my 3582R on my Honda or my 2871R on my Nissan; both have the built in restrictors. I also run a prodrive pump on my Honda so my pressures gets up there. I don't have allot of miles on my new Honda setup so that could easily be the reason I don't have any problems. Again, I'm not claiming to be the know all here. I called Garrett myself and asked them about this when I got the turbo and they told me that even with my oil pump, that I didn't need any other restrictor with my -3 line.

WHO ELSE IS HAVING A PROBLEM WITH THIS???
Old 12-18-2006, 05:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

WHO ELSE IS HAVING A PROBLEM WITH THIS???</TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rmcdaniels &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">My first GT3071R that I bought from ATP had problems with oil leaking past the compressor seal, so ATP told me to try this restrictor:

It fixed the oil leak. I later used the same restrictor on my GT28RS and my second GT3071R, both of which worked great and are still working fine, just not on my car any more.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 12-18-2006, 05:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i had the same question....

i thought it was a restrictor built in, maybe it isnt...

but i definetly wanna have the proper amount of oil with this GT35R...
Old 12-18-2006, 06:07 AM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: (Topdawgg)

that o ring is probably more than likely a viton o ring
Old 12-18-2006, 06:11 AM

Default Re: does gt turbo series come with built-in oil restrictor ? (dturbocivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dturbocivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">but this is what you need to run with the turbo.

btw if anyone needs one of these feel free to hit me up. </TD></TR></TABLE>

get this... end of story.
Old 12-18-2006, 06:33 AM

Default Re: does gt turbo series come with built-in oil restrictor ? (BoostedJeff)

It shouldn't matter if there is a restricter on the turbo or not. If you are running another restricter before the built in one, you shouldn't have any problems adding another one before it as long as the the pre-restricter is as large or larger than the built in one.

Just buy it and have piece of mind.
Old 12-18-2006, 06:38 AM

Default Re: does gt turbo series come with built-in oil restrictor ? (not2slo128)

i can honestly say that i would rather buy that 30 dollar restrictor instead of buying another 1900 dollar turbo.

Quick Reply: does gt turbo series come with built-in oil restrictor ?