Notices

Does a front mounted intercooler give you away to the cops?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2001, 02:05 PM
New User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Does a front mounted intercooler give you away to the cops?

I've been hearing that that alot of cops in CA are being a pain to import enthusiasts and was wondering wouldn't a front mounted intercooler totally give you away to the cops?
Old 06-18-2001, 02:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Does a front mounted intercooler give you away to the cops? (plugg)

does it really matter if it gives it away that you got turbo? its not like your racing on the streets anyways?...
Old 06-18-2001, 02:57 PM
New User

Default Re: Does a front mounted intercooler give you away to the cops? (unKnown)

Because the vast majority of turbo kits aren't smog legal
Old 06-18-2001, 03:05 PM
Trial User

Default Re: Does a front mounted intercooler give you away to the cops? (Asterix)

I don't think cops really care about you having an intercooler/turbo on your car as long as your not racing and raising hell. They have better things to do typically, like domestic disputes, accidents speeders etc...

I have passed lots of cops since turbo installed and none have bothered.. but then again I don't give them a reason to pull me over...
Old 06-18-2001, 03:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Does a front mounted intercooler give you away to the cops? (GSRwBOOST)

If you really want to go undercover get a mesh thing like the one guy said and drive normally when on the street. Don't let a cop hear your BOV when you are next to them and stuff like that. Just be smart and it shouldn't be a problem.
Old 06-19-2001, 01:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Does a front mounted intercooler give you away to the cops? (Strng1dah)

does a cop even know what an intercooler is?
Old 06-19-2001, 09:54 PM
New User

Default Re: Does a front mounted intercooler give you away to the cops? (01GSR)

I was pretty much going by the assumption that cops in CA know alot about import cars since they deal with it so often. I mean in nor cal and especially so cal, fixed up integras and civics are a dime a dozen.

And after hearing the horror stories of dynos on the freeway and cops randomly popping hoods, checking for headers and exhaust stuff, I'd think that a turbo be a even bigger deal.

Plus since most cops are guys, and a good percentage of guys are into cars, it's a safe bet to say that a good number of the cops know a thing or two about cars. Now it just really depends on how many of them want to power trip over our upgrades...
Old 06-20-2001, 10:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Does a front mounted intercooler give you away to the cops? (Ein)

Plus since most cops are guys, and a good percentage of guys are into cars, it's a safe bet to say that a good number of the cops know a thing or two about cars. Now it just really depends on how many of them want to power trip over our upgrades...
You would be amazed how many guys have no clue what an Intercooler is.
Old 06-20-2001, 12:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Does a front mounted intercooler give you away to the cops? (Strng1dah)

Right, I don't think many cops know what an intercooler is at all.
Old 06-20-2001, 12:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Does a front mounted intercooler give you away to the cops? (MarkC)

I remember about a year ago when I used to frequent the street races like 3 times a week. this one time everyone was leaving a spot and there was a cop there with a flashlight checking for front license plates and either waving you to the curb or waving you through. I thought for sure I was gonna get busted. He looked down and pointed the flashlight right there but just waved me through. I think I had to go home and change my pants after that I dont rememeber.
Old 06-20-2001, 12:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Does a front mounted intercooler give you away to the cops? (01GSR)

does a cop even know what an intercooler is?
Nope!
I've never had a problem with that after being pulled over for various reasons.
Old 06-20-2001, 12:24 PM
Trial User

Default Re: Does a front mounted intercooler give you away to the cops? (DragIIcivic)

it's just a radiator in their eyes.
Old 06-20-2001, 08:28 PM
New User

Default Re: Does a front mounted intercooler give you away to the cops? (Purelude)

actually GSRwBOOST...

some cops dont have anything better to do and they pull people over. when you live in an area where crime is not as bad.. and police have nothing better to do... they WILL pull you over.

everytime i see a police car.. i get nervous... but i guess its the way its going to be as long as you got a modified import.
Old 06-20-2001, 09:57 PM
Trial User

Default Re: Does a front mounted intercooler give you away to the cops? (dlplayboy)

yea.. i get nervous too... but i try not to sweat it that much... because it's that time when you do something from the stress and then they have a reason... LMAO
Old 06-21-2001, 01:59 AM
New User

Default Re: Does a front mounted intercooler give you away to the cops? (GSRwBOOST)

Hehe, it sounds like I'm worrying too much then. Just gotta make sure I have a quiet exhuast... damn those thermals!
Old 06-21-2001, 03:19 AM
New User

Good Lord. Nothing in Cali can be worth living their after seeing all the hell you guys go through with smog and that ******* CARB ****.
Old 06-21-2001, 01:45 PM

Why the hell are COPS concerned about a intake filter...To me it seems like they are bias towards imported cars...someone needs to take the state of california to court on these damn charges and those bias COPS...glad i don't live in cali anymore....What the hell is up with Cali COPS....
Old 06-21-2001, 02:02 PM
New User

Default Re: Does a front mounted intercooler give you away to the cops? (GencivicIII)

If you knew how many imports there were you'd understand. Alot of import people are punk *** asians with riced out cars what ruin it for the rest of us.

I've heard some exhausts that are so ridicioulously loud that I don't blame the cops for pulling them over. It's like a weed whacker or lawnmower went by...
Old 06-21-2001, 07:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Okay, how bout this?

Main reason they're on our *** is we've caused it.

At least in San Diego we've had a LOT of 100 mph crashes killing moms and kids, not to mention mostly young (18 to 20) honda/integra drivers.

If we keep driving carelessly, and causing these accidents, WE WILL BE HASSELED EVEN MORE.

So, lets be cool and RESPONSIBLE on the roads guys...
Old 06-21-2001, 11:12 PM

Default Re: Does a front mounted intercooler give you away to the cops? (greyzone)

That's definitely true!! Did anyone hear about the T-Bird that was racing against a "small Blue car" in Union City? Well, the T-Bird was running about 100mph and t boned an older lady in a Volvo. Well, from what I heard on the news the collision was SO bad that there was debris for 200 yards. Unfortunately, both drivers died and the "small blue car" is on the run.

See, it's this kind of sh@@ that's making the racing scene(import and domestic) look REALLY bad. I swear to god I've spent WAY too much money on my race car for someone to ruin it for all of us let alone taking someone elses life as well....which is way more important.

Come on guy's and girl's, let's try to keep in the track!!!!!!
Old 06-21-2001, 11:26 PM
Ray
New User

Default Re: Does a front mounted intercooler give you away to the cops? (accordking)

Yup, it is a problem and that why our tax money is going to racing task force.
Old 06-22-2001, 01:00 AM
New User

Default Re: Does a front mounted intercooler give you away to the cops?

I'm really glad sometimes I live in florida, where they recently did away with emissions testing statewide, and the only carbs here are on the old domestic cars
Old 06-22-2001, 01:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Does a front mounted intercooler give you away to the cops? (VaporTrail)

Alot of import people are punk *** asians with riced out cars what ruin it for the rest of us.
PUNK *** ASIANS - that don't sound all to nice now does it? Actually i find that punk asses are in all ethnic groups. Just a few weeks ago, a young european gentleman was acting like an ahole with his teg. A few weeks before that a caucasian guy did a burn out with the cop around the corner, needless to say he was cited. Not leaving the asians out, a couple of nights ago, an asian kid acting hard core sped down the street with his loud *** exhaust, a block or so later the blue&red lights got him.

- I do agree on the point that the majority of the import crowd do own loud exhaust systems. Yes they are very annoying and do make the whole scene look distasteful.

Back to the original topic: - Neither my friend or I have been bothered by the police regarding our setup. I do not have my front license plates mounted ( can be cited in cali ) Numerous times a police officer has stopped in front of me, or within plain view to notice that i do no have my plates on. They just drive on and i carry on with my business. As i see it, if ur car isn;t decorated with fancy stickers, wings, and dropped wayy wayy low, the police will give u a break. A friend of mines also has been driving around without a front lic plate and have an FMIC that is ver noticeable. He also haven't been bothered. well just my 2 cents.
Old 06-22-2001, 02:04 AM
New User

Default Re: Does a front mounted intercooler give you away to the cops? (SlayANT)

Hahah, good point, it doesn't sound very nice, but there is alot of truth to it obviously because nobody else commented on it. Oh by the way, I happen to be Asian, and all the other asians probally think I'm a sellout or something, but since I'm asian, I'm exposed to these punks more often. That's part of living in CA I guess.

Yeah it is true though that every racial group has their punks.

Actually, I rarely ever see a turbo'd import out there, so I can see why a FMIC is no biggie. Hopefully the BOV doesn't draw too much attention

Thanks for all the replies though.